GoPro Accessories for an Alaskan Cruise??

LEMJMcC

The wife received a GoPro at Christmas from her very thoughtful husband.  As they are planning their first cruise to Alaska, taking a whale-watching excursion in Juneau, a railway/biking excursion in Skagway, and a Butchart Gardens tour in Victoria, not to mention some random hiking/walking around ports whenever possible, what are the best accessories to make the best use of the camera?

Thanks.

I had a Go Pro for years and used it in a number of ways.  I mounted it on my snowmobile and helmet.  I had a mounting stick to use for selfies.  I used a tripod and I also had a mount for my chest.  The problem with the Go Pro is that it's small and holding it still is very difficult.  You don't want you vid to be bouncing around so you need to get the settings right.  It's more about the settings then pairing that up with the right accessories.  It took me awhile to get good vid content.  Also, it took awhile to learn video editing.  My Go Pro originally came with a video editor, but there used to be aftermarket editors.   Look at content on you tube and other places.  There are some good "beginner guides" out there.   Watch vids then practice before you go.  

• 7 months later...

For whale-watching and those unpredictable splashes, I'd definitely recommend grabbing a waterproof case if your GoPro doesn't come with one. It's a lifesaver.

Also, for all the movement on hikes and bike rides, a gimbal stabilizer can be a game changer. It helps keep your video smooth and professional-looking, no matter how bumpy the trail gets.

Don't forget to pack extra batteries or a portable charger—cold climates like Alaska can really drain them fast. And for capturing the stunning expanses you'll see, a wide-angle lens attachment would really do justice to those landscapes. 

And hey, if you ever want to do something more with your footage, like a cool video compilation, the folks in video production edmonton are great at transforming raw adventure clips into polished, share-worthy videos. 

Edited by steve_c

Which GoPro did you get?  That makes a difference.

GoPros are all waterproof, you don't need a case.  Unless you get the Media Mod accessory (microphone etc) which make it only splash proof only. 

Whale watching is okay with a GoPro but it is a wide-angle lens and so you need to be pretty close to get great footage.  It is also a fixed lens and doesn't work great for macro or closeups within a few inches of lens.

I have been using GoPro cameras for videos for the past 10+ years, so if you have specific questions, feel free to ask.  I am now using GoPro10 and GoPro11.  

I have clip type mount (think large clothespin) that I clip onto the shoulder strap of my backpack and use the gopro that way to take videos while walking around the port. I also have the "Ulanzi Super Clamp" that I use for setting up the Go Pro on the balcony for time lapse video.  You can find it on Amazon.

Edited by mslaabs

Balcony timelapse: think tripod on table, clamp on the balcony railing, suction cup (with safety cord!) on the glass of the door.

Hiking: backpack strap/clip, hat mount, selfie/rod stick

Boating/whale watching: floating hand grip.

Some items might cover multiple needs, like the GoPro Volta (powerbank and small rod in one).

Extra memory cards? Multiple batteries, double or triple battery charger?