Question Re: Flight Package Cancellation

Robroy

I have my t/a checking with Silversea tomorrow but am curious to see if any of the experienced Silversea posters on this Board would have any insights/experience on the topic.

We are sailing next May on the Nova and have door-to-door booked - currently about 120 days out. Flights through Silversea are Toronto-Chicago-Anchorage with an included overnight at Captain Cook and sailing from Seward the next day.

I've found better (but not cheaper) flights from Toronto-Vancouver-Anchorage and wonder if we can cancel the Silversea flights without penalty and get an air  allowance with final payment already been made. I realize the transfer to the hotel would be our responsibility but wonder if we would still have the hotel included or would it be considered part of the "flight package". I've read conflicting reports on whether we would incur a penalty. At this point, nothing has been ticketed.

Anyone run into this before?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Rob

The hotel remains if you elect to take a flight credit, but you will lose transfers from the airport.  You will need to ask Silversea about cancelling the flights.  Seats are probably booked already, just not ticketed.  I would expect a cancellation fee will be charged, just like if you cancelled with an airline.  

Just heard from my agent.  The good news: you get a $1200 per person credit for the cancelled air. The bad (really bad) news: Silversea policy is if you decide to cancel the air once booked, you lose airport transfers (expected), hotel, transfer to the train, train to Seward and airport transfers (again expected). 

They value the transfers at $160 per person, hotel at $524 pp, transfer to train $160 pp, train to Seward at $290 per person and transfer to ship $160 per plus airport transfer pier to Vancouver airport $160 per person. Needless to say, we're staying with the air they have booked for us.

This seems absolutely ludicrous to my agent and myself but needless to say, the flight program in this instance includes everything mentioned above - all or nothing. Makes port to port worth considering in future. 

Lesson learned..........

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by Robroy
additional info

@Robroy can you cancel the D2D and rebook as P2P?  Or are you too close?  [I did this on my upcoming NZ cruise, because I realized that just dropping the air on D2D still left me paying thousands more than P2P.

Jazzbeau: Thanks for the suggestion but we booked back in August and the current price is over 2k higher for the same trip. If it was simply flights we could look at it but with the hotel and train a-la-carte we'll stick with what we have. We're just four months out at this time and the rep my agent spoke to wasn't forthcoming with any creative solutions either.

We will know for next time before we book D2D!

Cheers,

Rob

We are looking at booking similar dates for a trip from ATL. Wondering if it would just be easier to do D2D. Have friend/agent checking on cost to upgrade to business class for flight since leg more than 5 hours.

1 hour ago, DavisFLSt8 said:

We are looking at booking similar dates for a trip from ATL. Wondering if it would just be easier to do D2D. Have friend/agent checking on cost to upgrade to business class for flight since leg more than 5 hours.

Don't forget that you can generally do D2D without flights or airport transfers but with the hotel.

• Thanks 1