How bad is it to tip in Canadian dollars?

snowlight

5 hours ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

The huge resistance to the $2 bill and all dollar coins came from merchants. No space in cash drawers for them.

Just take the bill loop out of the slot and put them there. And if you were to get rid of pennies there is that space available. Funny thing, if you don't have a choice you adapt. When we transitioned to the "Loonie" there was no choice, the mint wasn't going to print $1.00 bills anymore, same thing with the "Twonie" no more $2.00 bills were produced (and $2.00 bills were common currency in Canada) so that's what happened. I already commented about pennies. So everyone who had a big jar of pennies just had to get on with it and roll them up and take them to the bank.

6 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

I'm surprised that there has not been a single comment about our "funny money".

I guess times have changed...

56 minutes ago, CGinMTL said:

I love our " funny money".

It will be weird when we start seeing king Charles on some bills.

That, I am not ready for :((

I far prefer ours and the euro to our neighbours’ currency south of the border.  It’s so much easier to tell your denominations apart at a very quick glance  - especially in a dark cab 😉 

• Like 3

On 1/17/2024 at 10:48 PM, snowlight said:

On board the Zaandam and have had a great time and generally excellent service. We have autogratuities “enabled”. But We had some USD cash set aside for final extra tips, and they are certainly deserved.

however, we unexpectedly had to dip in that cash. I do have plenty of Canadian  dollar (my home currency)… would it be totally uncouth to tip in CAD? Or do you think the HAL staff would be able to exchange it since “money is money” (and maybe they’re changing it into their own currencies anyway)

appreciate your thoughts!

Depending on the time of year and the itinerary Canadian Dollars may be appreciated. On East Coast Canada Cruises and cruises out of Vancouver crew when they get a chance shop ashore for clothes and snacks and would use Canadian funds rather than the hassle of converting US funds in stores. Also in the past I have given newer crew members loonies and twonies which they use as souvenir gifts to the young ones in the family at home.

• Like 2

On a recent transatlantic from Portugal to FL I ended up bringing a bunch of Euros home. I asked at the front desk about leaving an extra tip for the cabin steward in Euros. She assured me the crew could exchange the money. This was on NCL. 

13 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

I'm surprised that there has not been a single comment about our "funny money".

I guess times have changed...

I grew up in Detroit, and Detroit is a border town. In addition to WJR and WXYZ, I loved to listen to the CBC, especially the Royal Canadian Air Farce.