Is concerige stateroom worth the extra $$$

vipro

Never been on an O before and now thinking of doing a cruise on Vista. We are presented with the different pricing options of the staterooms and we are still debating whether it is worth it to pay more for a concerige A category room vs. the normal B category veranda stateroom. (We are not rich enough to go anything else beyond)

So according to the website these are the extra perks that the concerige will give you:

• Expanded lunch and dinner room service menu from The Grand Dining Room

The question i want to ask is, does it mean I can order anything from the GDR menu of the day for room service or just some fixed, selected items from GDR everyday? 

This one seems attractive if I can order different things different day. But if the menu just added a few random, fixed items from the GDR, then it will be less appealing.

• Complimentary laundry service – up to 3 bags per stateroom+

As the ship provides self-service laundrette this is a nice to have, especially when we are going for a 10 night cruise, which won't be enough anyway. I also wonder how big the bag is.

• Exclusive card-only access to private Concierge Lounge staffed by a dedicated Concierge featuring complimentary soft drinks, coffees and snacks throughout the day

Given that the illy coffee is free anyway and soft drinks are available in our minibar and I presume snacks are available somewhere in the bakery throughout the day so the difference is just a private lounge? But then i guess the ship should have plenty of lounges so again this is a nice to have.

• Complimentary welcome bottle of Champagne

This is good but i guess you will also have access to champagne in the meals as part of the selected more package.

• Priority online specialty restaurant reservations

This will be good but again not essential as I thought everyone is guaranteed at least 1 per specialty restaurant? even for B catg?

I think this is the really good differentator if the Terrace has a lot to offer. So far from the pictures I can only see a pool inside. But at least I don't need to fight with the chair hoggers outside? Is there anything else besides the pool? sauna?

• Complimentary Oceania Cruises logo tote bag

nice to have as a souvenir. Again, not essential.

• Cashmere lap blankets, perfect for relaxing on your veranda

Never thought of needing that, especially this is a summer cruise in the Mediterranean 

• Complimentary pressing of garment upon embarkation++

Now this is great but if there are no formal nights we might not need to bring in jackets?

• Complimentary shoeshine service

Ditto.

So, for people who have stayed in the concerige class before, could you recommend which perks are the differentiators? or should I save the extra $$$ for an excursion or two? 

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Just want to add that we had tried out the concerige on other cruise lines (can't recall if it was celebrity or princess) and there is virtually not much difference. The perks that O give seem to be a lot more comparatively

53 minutes ago, vipro said:

is worth it to pay more for a concerige A category room vs. the normal B category veranda stateroom.

I think it's questionable. It is not a lot extra and we've booked concierge on our two cruises with O and a forthcoming one. I think, but might struggle to evidence, that concierge cabins are better located.

You ask about the laundry service. Each of the three bags are limited to 20 items each and the bag is plenty big enough for that. Unlike the "paid for" laundry, the items come back folded but not pressed so perhaps more useful for items that don't need ironing but, in any event, we've found it a useful service. 

With regard to restaurant reservations, everybody is guaranteed a seat but concierge (and, even better, suites) gets you ahead of the game in choosing a time that best suits you. Folk in the cheaper cabins cannot log on to book until nearer the cruise dates so get the times that we richer folk have left 😀

• Like 1

The Aquamar Terrace is pretty small and there are chair hogs there, too.  The champagne can be brought to a dining venue, but if wine and beer are now included is that of additional value?  We have done concierge level on longer cruises with more sea days.  On shorter cruises that are port intensive we don't see much added value.

• Like 1

> Expanded lunch and dinner room service menu from The Grand Dining Room.

You can order room service from that day's GDR (lunch and?) dinner menu during GDR hours, but AIUI as a single delivery, not course-by-course.  The other problem when in Concierge is finding a suitable place for 2 to eat at the same time.

> Complimentary laundry service – up to 3 bags per stateroom

The kicker is the 3-day turnaround.

> Exclusive card-only access to private Concierge Lounge

But only on Riviera, Marina, Vista, and eventually Allura.  The 'R'-class ships don't have one.

> Complimentary welcome bottle of Champagne

$1.98 stuff

> Priority online specialty restaurant reservations

If you *must* have 2top, 6:30pm slots rather than 8top 8:30pm, this can give you better chance -- more important on 7-day voyages than 14 (more days = more slots = less competition)

> Unlimited access to the Aquamar Spa Terrace

AIUI, the cardkey access on the 'R'-class ships has been removed.  Open to all

Edited by Snaefell3
  • Like 1

Concierge and standard veranda cabins are exactly the same. I only book concierge when regular veranda cabins aren’t available.  Location can be a factor in which type of cabin you select. I don’t get much value out of extra amenities.  The concierge lounge is place to get more food. Room service is a better option. The sparkling wine is nice.  The laundry service is good if you don’t mind the 3 day turn around.  I usually use the free launderette.  Wash and dry everything in less than 2 hours.  The spa pool is in the bow. Too windy when ship is sailing.  The tote bag was missing on the most recent cruises when we were in concierge. There is some value in priority booking specialty restaurants. Concierge reservations opens 60 days before cruise. Standard veranda opens 45 days.  Concierge gets a better selection of times.  In either class, we have gotten suitable reservations.  On some cruises we have requested additional reservations and gotten them.  

• Like 1

If you're doing the Panama Canal, then, yes, definitely. During the P/C transit, the best views are from the Spa Terrace. 

I love the Concierge cabin, but others disagree.

So the answer is: it depends on what is important to you

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, halfapair said:

If you're doing the Panama Canal, then, yes, definitely. During the P/C transit, the best views are from the Spa Terrace. 

I love the Concierge cabin, but others disagree.

So the answer is: it depends on what is important to you

But can't you just purchase a day pass for $25?  

• Like 3

Concierge priority specialty booking is worth a few hundred dollars as we like non sharing tables. On the larger ships spa terrace is much nicer. All in all if those are important then yes. Our next cruise in Vista the difference was about $300 total for both of us. And better cabin placement. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Me, too (check post #5), but let's give the OP the full story.

Absolutely, but based on the OP they have a pretty good grasp of the pluses involved.

3 minutes ago, brellis said:

Concierge priority specialty booking is worth a few hundred dollars as we like non sharing tables. On the larger ships spa terrace is much nicer. All in all if those are important then yes. Our next cruise in Vista the difference was about $300 total for both of us. And better cabin placement. 

In my case I travel with people who get named suites, so they book my specialty restaurants reservations for me ☺️

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, halfapair said:

If you're doing the Panama Canal … the best views are from the Spa Terrace.

5 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

But can't you just purchase a day pass for $25?  

AIUI, O's new ships go through the big 2016 locks, and only the 'R'-class ships (which have had their cardreader locks to the Spa Terrace removed) go through the "interesting" 1914 canal locks. 

Either way, keep the $25.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Complimentary welcome bottle of Champagne

$1.98 stuff

On our cruise last summer, it was Heidsieck. Retails at £32 in my local supermarket. A lot more than we'd ever choose to pay for a bottle of wine. I don't drink alcohol but my partner said it was very enjoyable. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 3

The tipping point for me would be which of these categories might have an extended balcony available.  Important to us, but may or may not be a perk for you.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, LSuzQ said:

The tipping point for me would be which of these categories might have an extended balcony available.  Important to us, but may or may not be a perk for you.

I’m in Vista 8120, A2 concierge this summer. The more aft cabins have an extended verandas & 8120 is at the point where verandas shift smaller, so appears on deck plan to have a view forward as well as side.

Can anyone who’s been in one of these confirm?

• Like 1

OP here.

Thanks for all the views and opinons you shared. Seems the majorty is not in favour of this class upgrade, LOL. Now as this a 50% sale i am looking at, so from my B catg to the lowest A catg I only need to shell out the US$150 each, will this change anyone's minds?  (port taxes, fees and tips are the same)... Is this a no brainer or nah, not even worth that.......

From the comments I gathered, it seems the most important really are the priority dining booking and the spa terrace access. For those that have been to Vista's could you share what is actually inside? The photo looks deceivingly great (and spacious) and since not everyone can access maybe there are fewer chair hoggers there?

My wife likes hot tubs and jaccuzis so I am hoping there is sth like that inside.

Edited by vipro

6 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

AIUI, O's new ships go through the big 2016 locks, and only the 'R'-class ships (which have had their cardreader locks to the Spa Terrace removed) go through the "interesting" 1914 canal locks. 

Either way, keep the $25.

Why do you type "AIUI"?  How do we know what this means?  Is it something related to cruising?  I don't get it.

• Like 1

Having cruised on HAL in Neptune Suites, which have access to a great lounge and very attentive concierge, we booked a concierge suite on our recent O cruise. We agree with those who said it might not be worth paying extra. The laundry service is nice, but the concierge lounge is tiny and the concierge was never available when we had a question.

The thermal pool is outside, so whether you can use that depends on where you're going and the weather. I was determined to try it and went on the coldest day of our cruise (just my luck).

The restaurants do get booked quickly by everyone who knows the importance and does it at the first possible moment. As you said, you can probably get a reservation anyway, just maybe not the time you want; but that can happen anyway. And you'll get great food whenever you go.

• Like 1

AIUI = as I understand it.

(frankly not a well known abbreviation)

24 minutes ago, mb777 said:

Why do you type "AIUI"?  How do we know what this means?  Is it something related to cruising?  I don't get it.

Edited by Nachosdelux
  • Thanks 1