First cruise with teens. Documents needed in ports ?

sebas030

Good afternoon,

I will be cruising with my teens for the first time in a few days and I am wondering what document is required to get back on the ship in ports besides the ship card ( Bermuda and Caribbean ) ?

We have our passeport ( we are Canadian ) but I would prefer to leave them on the ship ( more secure ). Is a school ID with picture enough ? My oldest has a driver's licence but not my youngest.

I do not feel very secure leaving our passport in a locker in Taino Bay ( in example ) while we go swimming and doing the lazy river and coming back to an empty locker 🥴, that would be a catastrophe !

Thank you all in advance,

mostly, just  your ship card, and a drivers license. we live in california, and the legal driving age is 16. we have traveled with my grandson between the ages of 11 and 19, and there was never any problem, even before he got a license.

it's not something to worry about, and once onboard, i always leave our passports locked in the cabin safe

Officially, minors under 18 do not need to show photo id to get back through security to reboard the ship in port. Those 18 and over should plan to bring a government issued photo id.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, complawyer said:

mostly, just  your ship card, and a drivers license. we live in california, and the legal driving age is 16. we have traveled with my grandson between the ages of 11 and 19, and there was never any problem, even before he got a license.

it's not something to worry about, and once onboard, i always leave our passports locked in the cabin safe

10 hours ago, Pitzel said:

Officially, minors under 18 do not need to show photo id to get back through security to reboard the ship in port. Those 18 and over should plan to bring a government issued photo id.

Thank you, 

And I guess WORST case scenario I run on the ship and get the passports for the teens and they could board then.. I guess 🤷‍♂️

I do not feel confortable leaving our passport in a bag on the beach while we swim or something like that.

Definitely leave the passports in the safe! The adults in your group just need to bring a driver's license or other government issued photo id card with them when they go ashore.

• Like 1

OP,

As you live in Montreal, I do not know if your  Motor Vehicle Administration offers the ID card that we can obtain here in many, if not all, of our states.

The ID is a picture ID intended for those who need a government issued photo ID but do not drive.

The same documents are needed to obtain the ID (birth certificate and what ever documents your jurisdiction requires) and is offered at a lower price than the driver's license.

We obtained one for our daughter at six years of age and was invaluable for travel or other times when ID was needed.

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

OP,

As you live in Montreal, I do not know if your  Motor Vehicle Administration offers the ID card that we can obtain here in many, if not all, of our states.

The ID is a picture ID intended for those who need a government issued photo ID but do not drive.

The same documents are needed to obtain the ID (birth certificate and what ever documents your jurisdiction requires) and is offered at a lower price than the driver's license.

We obtained one for our daughter at six years of age and was invaluable for travel or other times when ID was needed.

No we do not have that here in Quebec.

What we do have is a government issued health card. We have to show that card at the hospital or at a doctor's office to get free medical. It has a picture, name and logo of the province in hologram on it. It is accepted everywhere here because it is an id given by the government.

I guess this is enough go get back on the ship.

Thank you all for your help !

• Like 1