Beware of the Cancellation Policies if the cruise is changed.

I may be wrong, but most cruise lines I have looked at that include Antarctica include a higher per diem for the fact that they are traveling to Antarctica. For a number of valid reasons. So if a person is willing to pay that extra per diem to visit Antarctica, and the title of the itinerary is Antarctica, that is a realistic expectation. 
I sincerely believe it is reasonable to expect at the least a FCC for this specific change in itinerary. Reasonable even is a refund on the deposit from an ethical viewpoint. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I may be wrong, but most cruise lines I have looked at that include Antarctica include a higher per diem for the fact that they are traveling to Antarctica. For a number of valid reasons. So if a person is willing to pay that extra per diem to visit Antarctica, and the title of the itinerary is Antarctica, that is a realistic expectation. 
I sincerely believe it is reasonable to expect at the least a FCC for this specific change in itinerary. Reasonable even is a refund on the deposit from an ethical viewpoint. 

Well, this particular cruise is $250 USD per day for veranda. Sounds like a bargain, much less than many other sailings I checked.

For the record, I do agree with you that it would be nice if O at least allowed to transfer the admin fee to another cruise. I'm just saying that they probably won't do it not to create a precedent and open a Pandora box. And for me, this would not be the reason not to sail with them (or any other line) again. I'm practical, not vindictive. But as the old saying goes, "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" If people want to go to another line, just go. There is no need to announce the departure.

Anyway, I'm going to follow the OP lead and stop beating this dead horse. I'm not sure why we keep discussing this when the OP is not with us for days.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I'm well aware of it, but how this is relevant to our discussion? Antarctica is still part of many South America sailings. Here are some examples:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/south-america-cruises/buenos-aires-to-santiago-de-chile-MNA250216/

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/south-america-cruises/santiago-de-chile-to-buenos-aires-MNA240214/

In fact, I don't think Oceania has any cruises that go to Antarctica only. It's usually only 3-4 days out of much longer voyage. So a cruise line can argue that removing 3 days out of 20-30 days cruise that are not even ports but just pass by isn't a "material change" that justifies a refund.

And this is exactly an issue. Who decides that the change is dramatic enough? For OP it could be, others maybe took the cruise because of Rio, Buenos Aires etc. Plenty of other interesting places on this cruise.

I'm astounded and speechless (something that I rarely am) by this post so simply won't reply. We're 180 degrees apart.

4 hours ago, jazznruby said:

One can hope.

I don't know this for a fact but I believe I've read that Hurtigruten is getting most or all (?) of their ships ready to go anywhere.

7 hours ago, ak1004 said:

!" If people want to go to another line, just go. There is no need to announce the departure.

Ooh, you've hit a hot spot with me. If I decide to boycott a company and I don't notify that company why then IMO I've accomplished nothing. My few thousand dollars won't even be noticed. Let me give an example. I started boycotting Walmart more than a few years ago. It's because of how they treat their employees and suppliers (I worked for one of those suppliers long ago) I met with the manager of one of the the local stores and wrote probably the CEO (too many years and my aging makes me unsure about that). I don't know if I accomplished anything but I sure as heck wouldn't have if I just walked out the door. Plus I can tell other people and that may affect them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, clo said:

Ooh, you've hit a hot spot with me. If I decide to boycott a company and I don't notify that company why then IMO I've accomplished nothing. My few thousand dollars won't even be noticed. Let me give an example. I started boycotting Walmart more than a few years ago. It's because of how they treat their employees and suppliers (I worked for one of those suppliers long ago) I met with the manager of one of the the local stores and wrote probably the CEO (too many years and my aging makes me unsure about that). I don't know if I accomplished anything but I sure as heck wouldn't have if I just walked out the door. Plus I can tell other people and that may affect them.

I don't boycott businesses or products. You can find enough reasons to boycott half of the companies on the planet. It accomplishes nothing. 

I buy products and services based on quality and value they provide compared to their competitors. Pretty simple. I'm also not loyal to any company or cruise line in rhis case and always go case by case basis.

But if people want to nake statements it's their choice of course. 

10 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I don't boycott businesses or products. You can find enough reasons to boycott half of the companies on the planet. It accomplishes nothing. 

I buy products and services based on quality and value they provide compared to their competitors. Pretty simple. I'm also not loyal to any company or cruise line in rhis case and always go case by case basis.

But if people want to nake statements it's their choice of course. 

Yup.

Another related topic...is Oceania the only cruise line shying away from Antarctica?  We are somewhat interested in visiting Antarctica on the cruise, that being the last continent we haven't visited.  If this is the beginning of a trend, we might hold off on booking something like this anytime soon.

17 hours ago, Psoque said:

Another related topic...is Oceania the only cruise line shying away from Antarctica?  We are somewhat interested in visiting Antarctica on the cruise, that being the last continent we haven't visited.  If this is the beginning of a trend, we might hold off on booking something like this anytime soon.

Here's a long article that does show changes going into effect this year 2024.

https://www.imo.org/en/ourwork/safety/pages/polar-code.aspx#:~:text=The International code of safety,waters surrounding the two poles.

We sailed on Hurtigruten and I know they were retrofitting some or all of their ships. I know they do "expedition" trips (is that what it's called when you get in close, go ashore etc. I don't know if it varies from other types of cruises.

I have enormous respect for the involved countries who are trying so hard to protect this unique environment.

zodiak (1).jpg

• Thanks 1