San Francisco Public Transportation

We will be in San Francisco from 7am - 5pm in early May on the Celebrity Summit. Our current plans are to head to the Presidio for a walk and Golden Gate views and from there head to Chinatown for Dim Sum. We will download the Clipper app, but not sure pre-applying for senior rates will provide any significant savings.

We are scheduled to dock at Pier 27. If any Cruise Critic member can provide specific routing information via public transport it would be very much appreciated.

I've downloaded the Muni Service Map but it looks like my yarn after it gets all tangled up!!

Thanks.

Edited by TMLAalum

I use Rome2Rio app.  You plug in your starting and  ending points, and it gives you a variety of ways to get there, as well as directions to the spots, and travel times.  You can compare pricing on Public Transport, taxis, ride share.  If I remember, the Presidio seemed pretty far from the port, and traffic can be bad in and around Chinatown.  Keep your time frames in mind.  Might be better to hire a private tour, and treat the guide to lunch

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

If I remember, the Presidio seemed pretty far from the port, and traffic can be bad in and around Chinatown.  Keep your time frames in mind.  Might be better to hire a private tour, and treat the guide to lunch

Agree-- the OP might be better using Uber for part of this. Using public transportation to get to the Presidio, which can be 20 minutes each way direct, will take much longer with public transport and will eat into the day quite a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

We will be arriving back in San Francisco on July 31 from our Alaska cruise.  We are most likely booking Princess air which means the red eye back to Indiana. This gives us an entire day in S.F. from about 8am until  6 pm or so when we need to head to the airport.

What on earth could we do with our luggage until we get to the airport? Any suggestions on something to do while we are in SF?  We were there once years ago and did an all day city tour so I don't really want to do that.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Rob

2 minutes ago, Indiana Rob said:

What on earth could we do with our luggage until we get to the airport?

It's super easy to just go to a nicer hotel for coffee/late breakfast/early lunch and they'll be more than happy to check your luggage at the bell desk for a nice tip. I've done this many times in SF at The Fairmont, Ritz, and Westin St Francis. No issues. 

4 minutes ago, Indiana Rob said:

Any suggestions on something to do while we are in SF?  We were there once years ago and did an all day city tour so I don't really want to do that.

What interests you? If you've done the city tour already maybe it could be walking around and getting some drinks and a nice meal before your redeye. I wouldn't get wildly ambitious and leave the city for like Sausalito due to time but you can do anything you like in the city itself. The Presidio is great that time of year-- I did the Walt Disney Family Museum last time and it was excellent.  

On 1/19/2024 at 5:07 AM, TMLAalum said:

We will be in San Francisco from 7am - 5pm in early May on the Celebrity Summit. Our current plans are to head to the Presidio for a walk and Golden Gate views and from there head to Chinatown for Dim Sum. We will download the Clipper app, but not sure pre-applying for senior rates will provide any significant savings.

We are scheduled to dock at Pier 27. If any Cruise Critic member can provide specific routing information via public transport it would be very much appreciated.

I've downloaded the Muni Service Map but it looks like my yarn after it gets all tangled up!!

Thanks.

First, no need to use the Clipper app for senior rates.  It will be $1.50 (good for 90 minutes) regardless.  Or you can purchase the all day pass for $5.  Both can be purchased on board the buses.

or

This might be what you are looking for:

Presidio GO Shuttle | Presidio Shuttle (PresidiGo Shuttle) | The Presidio (San Francisco)

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the link to the Alcatraz trip, what is the distance from where the Princess discovery ship docks to where the ferry is located?  Want to know if easy to walk to pick up the ferry.  Also it states masks required on the ferry and in terminal, was wondering if anyone has done this recently and were they requiring masks at this time?  Maybe this info is outdated regarding masks.  Thanks for your information.  

12 hours ago, luvs to cruise said:

Thanks for the link to the Alcatraz trip, what is the distance from where the Princess discovery ship docks to where the ferry is located?  Want to know if easy to walk to pick up the ferry.  Also it states masks required on the ferry and in terminal, was wondering if anyone has done this recently and were they requiring masks at this time?  Maybe this info is outdated regarding masks.  Thanks for your information.  

Discovery Princess docks at Pier 27.  It will be a short 7 minute walk to Alcatraz Landing at Pier 33.

I don't think masks are required anymore.  Let me check with my coworker tomorrow.  He just went on the Alcatraz tour last week with his kid as a parent chaperone.

@sfpd3000

Thanks so much for the link to the free Presidio shuttle!

From Pier 27, do you have advice on how to get to the closest Presidio shuttle stop via foot or public transportation?

Thanks!

19 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

@sfpd3000

Thanks so much for the link to the free Presidio shuttle!

From Pier 27, do you have advice on how to get to the closest Presidio shuttle stop via foot or public transportation?

Thanks!

Maybe take the F Market streetcar to the Drumm and California stop?

On 3/24/2024 at 9:55 AM, luvs to cruise said:

Thanks for the information, and if you do get an answer on the masks that would be great.....

As far as I know, there is no mandatory mask requirement.