New to Virgin and have a couple questions

scomar

I am an experienced cruiser having sailed on multiple cruise lines. This will be my first Virgin Voyages cruise and am very excited about it, I have searched the forums but could not find the answers to the questions below. 

Is it best to take an Uber or taxi to the port? Does one drop you off closer than the other? We will be coming from South Beach after spending a couple days there ahead of the cruise. 

Are the cabins ready when you board? If not what time are they typically ready?

I have seen varied responses to the availability of mattress toppers on the forums. I could not find a definitive answer as to if you can request one from your cabin host.

Uber, taxi or Lyft, they all drop at the same place, where baggage handlers tag the suitcases and off they go.

Cabins are ready when you board.

Last month, I requested a topper the first night, they put it on the next morning and it made a difference. 

Edited by TheDarkestBlue
  • Like 1

Agree with all of the above.  Drop off in Miami is the same location regardless of "car" type,  There is a nearby area for bus or large vehicles.
Cabins are ready when you board and luggage usually arrives within about 15 minutes,   For us, the longest wait for luggage was about 25 minutes.

The confusion about mattress toppers is because we each report our own experience,  Sometimes they appear, other times people are told they are not available, 

My suggestions--don't compare VV to any other line.  It is different by design.  For a good preview, look at any YouTube by Where's Walter Travels.  He is accurate, fair, and makes videos to share info, not to do a "Look at MEEEEE" number,  No affiliation,  

• Like 4

On 1/21/2024 at 11:44 AM, TheDarkestBlue said:

Last month, I requested a topper the first night, they put it on the next morning and it made a difference. 

What they put on the bed is not an actual mattress topper.  I asked for this also and I lifted up the bottom sheet to see what had been done.  It was just another comforter placed between the mattress and the bottom sheet.  It did help a tad, but they are still very uncomfortable IMHO.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

What they put on the bed is not an actual mattress topper.  I asked for this also and I lifted up the bottom sheet to see what had been done.  It was just another comforter placed between the mattress and the bottom sheet.  It did help a tad, but they are still very uncomfortable 

It wasn't a comforter, I looked at it.

On 1/24/2024 at 7:23 AM, rebeccac said:

Then you're lucky because earlier this month on Valiant, I only got a comforter.  

it's a "mattress pad" but not a topper like most people think of.  its basically a piece of batting between 2 sheets vs. a foam/egg carton pad

• Like 1

17 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

it's a "mattress pad" but not a topper like most people think of.  its basically a piece of batting between 2 sheets vs. a foam/egg carton pad

Whatever it is, it offers only very minor improvement.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 11:44 AM, TheDarkestBlue said:

Uber, taxi or Lyft, they all drop at the same place, where baggage handlers tag the suitcases and off they go.

Cabins are ready when you board.

This was not true January 20, but there was a huge festival. Cabs could get to the terminal. Ubers could not.  We were there a few days before, and generally we found cabs to be a bit cheaper.

Edited by Gretchendz

3 hours ago, Gretchendz said:

This was not true January 20, but there was a huge festival. Cabs could get to the terminal. Ubers could not.  We were there a few days before, and generally we found cabs to be a bit cheaper.

That's unusual, but probably related to the festival.  We've generally found Lyft to be cheapest, Uber a bit more, and taxis the highest although Uber and Lyft price based on driver availability.  

For instance, Uber or lyft from my home airport to my house is usually $20-25 while a taxi is $35.  I used the app for Uber once evening and it came up at $85.  I hopped in a taxi and realized that it was a big local celebration night, so Uber and Lyft were probably crazy busy while the taxis were on their standard meter.  Miami may be the same.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 2:34 AM, scomar said:

I am an experienced cruiser having sailed on multiple cruise lines. This will be my first Virgin Voyages cruise and am very excited about it, I have searched the forums but could not find the answers to the questions below. 

Is it best to take an Uber or taxi to the port? Does one drop you off closer than the other? We will be coming from South Beach after spending a couple days there ahead of the cruise. 

Are the cabins ready when you board? If not what time are they typically ready?

I have seen varied responses to the availability of mattress toppers on the forums. I could not find a definitive answer as to if you can request one from your cabin host.

There were no mattress toppers available on Resilient Lady