Has anyone ever had upgrade offers changed?

We received upgrade offers almost immediately upon booking. Sailing is about 7 weeks out.  The upgrade offers seem high, and I was wondering - if you don’t bid on the upgrade right away, has anyone ever experienced a change in offer price, either up or down? I’m sure it’s a crapshoot due to the capacity of the ship and how full it is, but I was wondering just how firm the offer is. And has anyone seen one disappear?

29 minutes ago, Birdnutty said:

We received upgrade offers almost immediately upon booking. Sailing is about 7 weeks out.  The upgrade offers seem high, and I was wondering - if you don’t bid on the upgrade right away, has anyone ever experienced a change in offer price, either up or down? I’m sure it’s a crapshoot due to the capacity of the ship and how full it is, but I was wondering just how firm the offer is. And has anyone seen one disappear?

Nope. And if you are not bidding on a suite, the sooner you bid the more chance you have to get an upgrade because those are processed when there is sufficient/insufficient inventory. (E.g., if they want some low end inside rooms to fill the ship, they may move a few people up early). Suite bids are normally processed on the week of cruise and there are enough people willing to bid high that there is no need to offer "cheap" upgrades. (The days of the upsell desk are long gone)

On rare occasions there have been reports of lowered bid requirements.  I had a "special bid offer" once, don't remember if it was before or after the shutdown. I think it was listed for a limited time but I didn't take advantage of it, so don't remember all the details.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

(The days of the upsell desk are long gone)

Miss the upsell desk... had their phone number, that's how I first experienced the Haven. $2,000 to upgrade from a "minisuite" as they used to be called, to a Haven 2BR for a week.  

1 hour ago, Birdnutty said:

The  upgrade offers I've received don't have a set offer price.  They have a slider where you can bid an amount you want. There is a minimum and a maximum.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, havoc315 said:

Miss the upsell desk... had their phone number, that's how I first experienced the Haven. $2,000 to upgrade from a "minisuite" as they used to be called, to a Haven 2BR for a week.  

Us too!  We got a great bargain on a 12 day, which later became a 14 day when the cruises to nowhere were declared illegal. Our first time in Haven, and so far, our last. All though the upsell desk, which was great. (Thanks to CC or I never would have known about it.). Hoping to get it again, although we really can’t  afford to bid much higher than the minimum, and we know our chances are low. I would love to see the algorithm they use to determine the winners.  Wondering if the Latitudes status plays any part at all.  

5 minutes ago, Birdnutty said:

Us too!  We got a great bargain on a 12 day, which later became a 14 day when the cruises to nowhere were declared illegal. Our first time in Haven, and so far, our last. All though the upsell desk, which was great. (Thanks to CC or I never would have known about it.). Hoping to get it again, although we really can’t  afford to bid much higher than the minimum, and we know our chances are low. I would love to see the algorithm they use to determine the winners.  Wondering if the Latitudes status plays any part at all.  

It's about dollars and cents.  Latitudes status doesn't have anything to do with it, to my knowledge.  There's been many of us trying to figure out the algorithm they use for years. To date, we can't (and probably never will).

I booked a solo inside on The Joy for May 2024.  I immediately got the email offer to bid.  I’m happy being in an inside cabin but I bid the absolute minimum for OV and balcony.  I am not even hoping I’ll get one because of my low bid but I wanted to at least try.  It doesn’t cost anything to bid unless you win and since that’s the whole point, why not do it?  I just did a solo on the Getaway in a studio and loved it, so I’m fine with an inside cabin. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stinkyharriet said:

I booked a solo inside on The Joy for May 2024.  I immediately got the email offer to bid.  I’m happy being in an inside cabin but I bid the absolute minimum for OV and balcony.  I am not even hoping I’ll get one because of my low bid but I wanted to at least try.  It doesn’t cost anything to bid unless you win and since that’s the whole point, why not do it?  I just did a solo on the Getaway in a studio and loved it, so I’m fine with an inside cabin. 

Why not do it?  I've got two upgrade bid offers.  I don't think even the minimums are worth while.  I'll stay where I am and keep the money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Why not do it?  I've got two upgrade bid offers.  I don't think even the minimums are worth while.  I'll stay where I am and keep the money.

I bid the minimum, $50 for balcony and $25 for Ocean View.  Even though I’m solo I’ll be charged twice that amount if my bid was actually accepted.  Natural light would be nice and I’d be willing to pay an extra $50-$100 for it, but wasn’t willing to pay the going rate for those cabins outright when I booked.  I’m not expecting to win so I won’t be disappointed when I don’t.  

43 minutes ago, stinkyharriet said:

I bid the minimum, $50 for balcony and $25 for Ocean View.  Even though I’m solo I’ll be charged twice that amount if my bid was actually accepted.  Natural light would be nice and I’d be willing to pay an extra $50-$100 for it, but wasn’t willing to pay the going rate for those cabins outright when I booked.  I’m not expecting to win so I won’t be disappointed when I don’t.  

I understant that.  The minimum bids I was offered were over $2000 PP.

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2024 at 2:17 PM, havoc315 said:

On 1/22/2024 at 10:29 AM, Birdnutty said:

Miss the upsell deck too. Went from a mini-suite to a 2br Family Suite (non haven) on the Pearl to Alaska for a total of $1500.   So worth it.   

Our party of 5 (2 parents, 2 kids, 1 grandparent) is split between 2 (adjacent/connected) cabins.  If my husband and I (in one of the cabins) upgrade to a cabin with a capacity of 5 or more, can the others just stay with us?  Officially it's not an option, the upgrade program doesn't allow you to consolidate cabins.... but if they retain their original room, could they just stay with us (some or all of the nights)?  Any experience with this?

15 minutes ago, CrisRich said:

Our party of 5 (2 parents, 2 kids, 1 grandparent) is split between 2 (adjacent/connected) cabins.  If my husband and I (in one of the cabins) upgrade to a cabin with a capacity of 5 or more, can the others just stay with us?  Officially it's not an option, the upgrade program doesn't allow you to consolidate cabins.... but if they retain their original room, could they just stay with us (some or all of the nights)?  Any experience with this?

If you're already in a connected cabin, you're already staying in the same cabin.  Now, if you thinking of upgrading to a suite or a haven cabin, only  those in the upgraded cabin will get the perks of  the upgraded cabin.

Once onboard they do not care too much about where you sleep and hang out. The front desk can provide extra room keys so that you can all get into each others rooms. These are only room keys and will not be able to charge to your account(s). 

One other thing to note is that the ship can also make a difference as to how you can do this. For example on the Jewel class ships, the cabins that can sleep 5 or 6 people are usually suites so only those people registered in those rooms will get the suite perks. I believe that the away and away+ ships also have the same thing. The only ships that do not have havens are the Sun, Sky, Dawn, Star, and Spirit as they are the oldest ships in the fleet.