Amber cove transportation

dmfloghouse

Hi everyone- we were in Puerto Plata last year and the new port terminal area is brand new and awesome. We were thinking of going back however our  cruise this year docks in Amber Cove which is several miles away.  
From what I can discern the taxis are quite expensive from Amber Cove to town.  Has anyone used taxis that could give me an idea AND has anyone used the pool and lazy river within the Puerto Plata cruise terminal regarding prices and accommodations. We were unable to use the terminal facilities because we had booked an excursion and ran out of time to look around much. Any insight would be appreciated 

• Like 1

There is no charge for the pool at Amber Cove. There are charges for ziplining and cabanas. There is not a lazy river, unless one has been added in the last year or so.

There is a water way from the rear of the pool area up to the bar. I enjoy the pool at Amber Cove. Get there early to grab a lounger under a shaded area. There’s a restaurant, and you can rent umbrellas. Out in the sun, it gets very hot. 

We are planning on taking a taxi to Puerto Plata and hopefully find another couple to share it with to reduce the costs. Perhaps something you could consider.

16 minutes ago, storkington said:

We are planning on taking a taxi to Puerto Plata and hopefully find another couple to share it with to reduce the costs. Perhaps something you could consider.

Yes. I could post something on my roll call unfortunately our roll call isn’t very active 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KAKcruiser said:

Are you saying that the new Puerto Plata cruise terminal also has a pool area and entertainment area similar to Amber Cove?

Yes. It was brand new and lots of cool shops and a nice lazy river with beautiful pool area but we didn’t have much time to explore so wanted to go back this year. However we need to get from amber cove port to puerto plata port which even though not that far taxis are like $35 each way so unsure if I wanted to pay that 

If you're on a ship that docks at Amber Cove, would you even be able to get inside the terminal area at Puerto Plata?  From my experience those facilities are for the ships docked there (and thus paying for it as part of the port fees).  Locals aren't allowed, so why would tourists from a different terminal?

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

If you're on a ship that docks at Amber Cove, would you even be able to get inside the terminal area at Puerto Plata?  From my experience those facilities are for the ships docked there (and thus paying for it as part of the port fees).  Locals aren't allowed, so why would tourists from a different terminal?

Sue/WDW1972

Hmmm. Didn’t really think about that but I recall walking through the port area (large area of shops, etc) to the back (very large area) and it was all open to buses taxis etc and maybe  I’d have to show my id. I would have a ship id on me as we would be on a ship from Amber Cove. Not sure 

If you walk outside the port area at Amber Cove to the entrance, about a ten minute walk from the ships, there are private taxis waiting. Depending on your bargaining ability, you can get a taxi into Puerto Plata for $10-$15. Keep in mind that such taxis cannot get into the port on your return, they can drop you at the gate and you have to walk from the port entrance to the ship.

2 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

If you walk outside the port area at Amber Cove to the entrance, about a ten minute walk from the ships, there are private taxis waiting. Depending on your bargaining ability, you can get a taxi into Puerto Plata for $10-$15. Keep in mind that such taxis cannot get into the port on your return, they can drop you at the gate and you have to walk from the port entrance to the ship.

Thanks. Looks like there are multiple ships that day February 29th in Puerto plata so thinking it’s going to be very crowded. Last year we were the only ship so it was great