US Immigration - first entry to US Whittier.

Aulanis

I am sure this must have been asked before but cant find it.  

We are on a cruise from Japan to Whittier Alaska which will be our first

entry on this trip into the US.

Having spent several hours on a first entry to the US in Boston last year

I am wondering what they will do in Whittier  where I would assume the

authorities will not have the manpower available.

Second and third ports are Sitka  and Juneau  then we are back into Canada.

Anyone know?

Guessing that there will be a majority of US and Canadian citizens on board, so US CBP officers may have a passport ‘show and go’ express line for these folks.  Other nationalities with the ESTA and other visas might have to meet with CBP Officers on board, but once cleared, the other two US ports you should be able just to walk off.

It’s possible that Canadian Custom and Border Officers could also be in Seward to clear the ship, making the arrival in Vancouver basically a ‘walk off’.  We experienced this in Japan at our first stop after our trans-pacific cruise (we had a face to face interaction with Japanese officials in Kushiro ).  When the cruise officially ended in Yokohama a couple days later, passengers were able to exit the ship.

On 1/26/2024 at 12:57 AM, Aulanis said:

I would not assume that "the authorities will not have the manpower available"  in Whittier.  This situation is not unique for the trans-Pacific crossings from Asia.  Our preferred cruise line flies CBP folks from the respective country to the ship so that the formalities are conducted onboard .  They have even had folks board in Papeete, Tahiti for the first New Zealand port of (Bay of Islands in that case).

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Guessing that there will be a majority of US and Canadian citizens on board, so US CBP officers may have a passport ‘show and go’ express line for these folks.  Other nationalities with the ESTA and other visas might have to meet with CBP Officers on board, but once cleared, the other two US ports you should be able just to walk off.

It’s possible that Canadian Custom and Border Officers could also be in Seward to clear the ship, making the arrival in Vancouver basically a ‘walk off’.  We experienced this in Japan at our first stop after our trans-pacific cruise (we had a face to face interaction with Japanese officials in Kushiro ).  When the cruise officially ended in Yokohama a couple days later, passengers were able to exit the ship.

I doubt Canadian Customs would be present.

On 1/26/2024 at 3:57 AM, Aulanis said:

I am sure this must have been asked before but cant find it.  

We are on a cruise from Japan to Whittier Alaska which will be our first

entry on this trip into the US.

Second and third ports are Sitka  and Juneau  then we are back into Canada.

Anyone know?

With my job - I have a ton of products that are shipped from Asia to the US and clear Customs in Anchorage. There must be a ton of Customs individuals in Anchorage area for shipping. I don't know why they can't do individuals in Whittier?

Thanks  for the replies, I was hoping someone who had been there done that might respond.  It doesnt  affect me a lot but  some on the cruise are hoping to get a real early  start  to try and catch the morning plane from  Anchorage. Its a 7 day crossing from Japan  so its a long flight to get officers on the ship.    I have experienced officers

being on board for shorter routes and did wonder.

We do get there at 00.30      so yes they could get officials there  from Anchorage

but what time does the tunnel open? or maybe they   are allowed through at any time.

I will post back when I have been 🙂

2 hours ago, Aulanis said:

Thanks  for the replies, I was hoping someone who had been there done that might respond.  It doesnt  affect me a lot but  some on the cruise are hoping to get a real early  start  to try and catch the morning plane from  Anchorage. Its a 7 day crossing from Japan  so its a long flight to get officers on the ship.    I have experienced officers

being on board for shorter routes and did wonder.

We do get there at 00.30      so yes they could get officials there  from Anchorage

but what time does the tunnel open? or maybe they   are allowed through at any time.

I will post back when I have been 🙂

What time is your flight? They won't start embarking to probably 6 or 7 am.

Edited by Coral