Gratuity on Speciality Dining

Is an automatic gratuity added to special dining?  I've experienced on "another brand" where the person providing the service stated an automatic "service charge" is automatically added but not the gratuity.  I felt I was conned into giving them an additional tip and I just want to know other opinions.  I don't have any objection to giving a direct "in hand" tip to someone that provided exceptional service.

11 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

Is an automatic gratuity added to special dining?  I've experienced on "another brand" where the person providing the service stated an automatic "service charge" is automatically added but not the gratuity.  I felt I was conned into giving them an additional tip and I just want to know other opinions.  I don't have any objection to giving a direct "in hand" tip to someone that provided exceptional service.

Per carnival website, gratuity is added or included.

• Like 1

I am cruising on Jubilee next month.  I noticed when I booked Teppanyaki that there was an 18% gratuity added but when I booked Rudi's Seagrill there was nothing added.  In the past, I have tipped in cash at Rudi's. 

Not sure why some are and some aren't added.  

I think it depends on the venue for specialty dining? Also on how many people perhaps.

In my experience when booking the Steakhouse (on Freedom, Valor, Celebration, & Jubille) a gratuity is NOT automatically added. Seemingly covered with our regular gratuities.

But, when we ate at Bonsai Sushi on the Panorama an 18% gratuity was added then.

So, I guess it really varies depending on the venue? Either way, I wouldn't tip directly in hand unless it's exceptional service and you really think they deserve it.

• Like 1

Your bill will be presented at the end of the meal at the Steakhouse and it will show that you prepaid the price per person but no automatic tip at that venue.  Just like on land, you can then add a tip that will go on your Sign and Sail.   

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 1:24 PM, weezal said:

Thank you for posting this link! I encourage everyone to read the info there because it's noted the cost for some of the venues includes the gratuities, while some have an additional 18% added.

• Like 1

I have been told by several different crew members (both servers and management) that the automatic gratuity goes to the pool, but cash or an added extra gratuity goes to that individual server (in pay- for- item venues also). But really, who knows? I like to tip extra for great service, especially if it goes to that particular server but that's just me. Do what makes you happy.