Fort Lauderdale Pre-Stay - Downtown or even Dania Beach?

tropiclvrs

Hello!  We typically have stayed beach front in Lauderdale for our 2-3 day pre-cruise stays but this time at the end of March a decent place is a little cost prohibitive.  I've been looking elsewhere such as some of the better choices Downtown (i.e. Hyatt Centric downtown or Riverside Hotel) but I know we are probably going to want to go to the beach for part of our day.  Does it make sense to be that far from the beach if I know we are going to want to spend some time there?  How much would a taxi or Uber be each way?

Also was considering lower budget such as Hyatt Place or Hyatt South in Dania Beach which is probably a littler further even but it seems very convenient from the airport and to the port.

Any advise from experts?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, tropiclvrs said:

Hello!  We typically have stayed beach front in Lauderdale for our 2-3 day pre-cruise stays but this time at the end of March a decent place is a little cost prohibitive.  I've been looking elsewhere such as some of the better choices Downtown (i.e. Hyatt Centric downtown or Riverside Hotel) but I know we are probably going to want to go to the beach for part of our day.  Does it make sense to be that far from the beach if I know we are going to want to spend some time there?  How much would a taxi or Uber be each way?

Also was considering lower budget such as Hyatt Place or Hyatt South in Dania Beach which is probably a littler further even but it seems very convenient from the airport and to the port.

Any advise from experts?

Thanks!

I haven’t stayed at the Hyatt Centric, but I saw a YouTube video that said they offer rides to the beach through the hotel. They will also provide chairs and an umbrella. 

I’ve been researching the area because we are staying one night at Riverside in March. I also have a compulsion to plan and to know everything I can about the areas that I travel to. I’ve also stayed beach side in the past. I want to try something new. 

Staying more than 1 night the Riverside is an excellent choice.  You are right downtown with lots of restaurants and shops.  You are on the free (and air conditioned) shuttle route to the beach (https://www.fortlauderdale.gov/government/departments-i-z/transportation-and-mobility/transportation-division/laudergo-mobility-services/laudergo-community-shuttle) - which is 2 miles from the hotel - and have a water taxi stop located at the hotel (www.watertaxi,com).  The Carrie B (www.carriebcruises.com) is also docked nearby and has sightseeing cruises on the New River and the Intracoastal Waterway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, antmaril said:

We stayed at The Riverside Hotel two weeks ago.  The hotel is lovely.  I would stay there again and can highly recommend.  

What category room were you in. I'm currently booked for two nights in a standard room which I believe is in the old section. Do I need to upgrade to a room in the newer section?

44 minutes ago, CCRUZER said:

What category room were you in. I'm currently booked for two nights in a standard room which I believe is in the old section. Do I need to upgrade to a room in the newer section?

We were in the Tower (new section).  We had a room with two queen sized beds.  It was a nice sized room and the bathroom was big, too.  If the difference isn’t too much, I would go with the newer section.  

We normally stay at Hyatt Place - Convention Center, near the port and lots of cruisers do also.  However, recently we have switched to Hyatt House in Dania Beach (another Hyatt Place is right there also), as it has been updated and we like the staff/service.  A bit further to the port, but they do have a shuttle for about $15 pp which worked out nicely.  Free shuttle from the airport.  Check pricing of these two locations as it varies alot.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 1

Thanks to all for the input.   Leaning towards Riverside or possibly just going with our usual Westin on the beach.  It would cost more but it is so nice being right there.  
I do have the Hyatt Place in Dania Beach reserved just in case.  I love that they have free breakfast, despite being simple.  Plus they have the free shuttle from the airport.  We would probably do taxi or Uber to port as it would be leas than the $15pp for thr shuttle they offer.