Star Inaugural August 2025

CruznMooses

I feel so bad for everyone that was scheduled to be on the Sun Princess Inaugural Cruise in February. I know if it were me I'd be devastated.

The DW and I are booked on the first 2 cruises on the STAR PRINCESS in Aug of 25. This now has me a little concerned, did we do the right thing? What are the chances that the inaugural cruise might be canceled?  I would think that whatever issues that are having with the Sun would be fixed before the Star gets that far. 

I was talking with my travel agent last year and was considering the Disney Treasure inaugural cruise. She talked me out of it. To many things can go wrong even if the ship sails on schedule. 

Edited by Wonders By Wallis
  • Like 2

Booking any inaugural cruise has its risks.  Having been on several inaugural sailings in years past, we now prefer to give new ships a year of sailing before trying them out.  We are not booked on the Sun Princess until October of 2025.

• Like 2

Agree that booking an inaugural cruise is risky.  If you keep that cruise would recommend that you either book your air through Princess or ensure that you won't lose it if you book direct (either book refundable or confirm that the airline will give you a credit if you need to cancel).  Would also recommend that you not book non-refundable hotels, independent excursions or transfers.

• Like 3

As has been previously stated, there is risk in booking any cruise.  Yes, the delay experienced by the Sun Princess is sobering.  However, on the positive side, while we on Cruise Critic do not know the specifics of what caused the delay, it is reasonable to assume that at least some of the delay was a result of the fact that the Sun Princess is the first of a new ship design.  So, it is equally reasonable to assume that lessons learned on the Sun Princess build can be applied to the Star Princess build, and the risk of delay can be mitigated.

What do you have to lose?  As long as you are prudent in making your arrangements and have travel insurance, you should not suffer any financial loss.  So, the pain will be the disappointment you would suffer if you could not go on this inaugural cruise.  However, if you cancel your present booking, you won't go on this inaugural cruise. either.

• Like 1