Premium bourbon on HA?

I hope this doesn’t make me sound like a pretentious snob but I have grown to enjoy decent bourbon and if I’m going to drink something on vacation, wouldn’t mind if it was that. Has anyone found higher-end bourbons on Holland America (Nieuw Amsterdam in particular)? I’m talking about something good, not something outrageous (not interested in spending $250 for a shot of Pappy). If so, at which bar or bars?

There is usually a decent selection of bourbons, but you may want to walk around to see what's where. Off the top of my head, I'd look at the Ocean Bar and the Pinnacle Bar to start.

They no longer have a paper list of everything available, which annoys me. You can either ask a bartender to consult the POS system for the list, or you can stare at the back bar and try to see what they have.

You do need to check out the back bars of nearly every bar since the premium items (if any) are sometimes only stocked at 1 or 2 venues.  On HAL, we think their idea of Premium Bourbon is something like Woodford Reserve.  I strongly suspect you need have no fear of the price of any Pappy, since you will not find it on HAL (and most bar tenders would not even know what it is).  I am more of scotch drinker and was very disappointed in the available single malts (Westerdam March-May).  I will not be overly critical of HAL's high end booze availability since we have sometimes had similar situations on luxury lines.  For us, every cruise is a booze adventure as we spend the first couple of days walking around the various bars just learning what is available.  One never knows.  On a recent Princess cruise, where we had their better booze package, I was surprised to find Remy XO included in my package (this has not even happened on the highest end cruise lines).  Needless to say, I did my best to deplete their supply :).

Hank

• Like 1

Off Nieuw Statendam earlier this month. The best I found within the HIA package was Bulleit. Woodford Reserve was also available at 50 cents more per shot.  

I suppose I should have asked the OP for a list of what he'd be looking for. Maker's Mark is my go to because I have a slight reaction to a mash bill that's heavy in rye. (I get flushed in the face. No idea why. Maker's mash bill is wheat. I'm assuming that since we're talking bourbon, y'all know what I am talking about.) Maker's and Maker's 46 were readily available.

We had the Elite Beverage Package. I was not inventorying as we sipped and strolled, but I had both Maker's, Old Forrester, Basil Hayden, Angel's Envy & Four Roses. I know they had Bulliet regular and rye, Jim Beam and Jim Beam Black.

There were others, but I wasn't really paying attention. However, I now have a new research project for later in the Spring.

If you see someone doing a "Live From" your ship, ask them to look for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, esimon said:

Im an Old Fashion drinker.  I find them really good on Holland 

Me, too! (Wait. You mean the bourbon cocktail with the cherries? Well, I do drink those, but I am also old.)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, POA1 said:

I suppose I should have asked the OP for a list of what he'd be looking for. Maker's Mark is my go to because I have a slight reaction to a mash bill that's heavy in rye. (I get flushed in the face. No idea why. Maker's mash bill is wheat. I'm assuming that since we're talking bourbon, y'all know what I am talking about.) Maker's and Maker's 46 were readily available.

We had the Elite Beverage Package. I was not inventorying as we sipped and strolled, but I had both Maker's, Old Forrester, Basil Hayden, Angel's Envy & Four Roses. I know they had Bulliet regular and rye, Jim Beam and Jim Beam Black.

There were others, but I wasn't really paying attention. However, I now have a new research project for later in the Spring.

If you see someone doing a "Live From" your ship, ask them to look for you.

I'm sorry to deviate from the libation at hand, but while you are researching Bourbon would you mind looking if they have Ron Zacappa rum? It is a lovely drop and I would like to toast my crossing the equator with a wee tot of that. Perhaps "splice the main brace". If no Zacappa I'll settle for Pusser's.

Edited by Blackduck59

38 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm sorry to deviate from the libation at hand, but while you are researching Bourbon would you mind looking if they have Ron Zacappa rum? It is a lovely drop and I would like to toast my crossing the equator with a wee tot of that. Perhaps "splice the main brace". If no Zacappa I'll settle for Pusser's.

Pusser's was available on Zuiderdam last year. I'm pretty sure I was offered it this year but I will check.

20 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Pusser's was available on Zuiderdam last year. I'm pretty sure I was offered it this year but I will check.

Pusser's will be available, it's a key ingredient in a "Pusser's Pain Killer". It's the Ron Zacappa that is the wonderful elixir from Guatemala, so smooth I drink it on ice.

I will now apologize for straying from the subject of fine bourbon (if there is such a thing 😁😇), there seems to be a wide variation in what constitutes fine Bourbon, personally I have been unable to acquire a taste for that libation.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1