Which port best to see bears? Juneau, Ketchikan or skagway?

cbowls30

Hi all,

Doing princess cruise next July. After much research we think we have whale spotting sorted in Juneau, where best should we try our luck to see some bears? Can't seem to see many bear specific tours. Thanks 

When in July?

Ketchikan has some bear tours. It is best to go when salmon are running. I have gone 2x over July 4th holiday and it has been too soon.

Technically bears can be seen in all 3 ports but bear excursions are mostly in Ketchikan.

When and how much to spend is most important to bear tours. If not flying you could just luck out. in either case. There is a chance on the road to Carcross via rental car for black bear from Skagway or herring cove rain forest trail from Ketch. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

When and how much to spend is most important to bear tours. If not flying you could just luck out. in either case. There is a chance on the road to Carcross via rental car for black bear from Skagway or herring cove rain forest trail from Ketch. 

I would agree. I have only done one bear watching excursion (which was in May and included 3 bears so off season). I have seen more bears unexpectedly on other excursions - driving to the Yukon is a great example.

Hands down, it’s Wildlife Safari & Bear Viewing for around $150 from Chilkat Guides in Haines if the salmon are running.  For second place, I would pick a bear tour at Icy Strait Point.  These are both brown bear tours.

On 1/28/2024 at 11:00 AM, wolfie11 said:

Hands down, it’s Wildlife Safari & Bear Viewing for around $150 from Chilkat Guides in Haines if the salmon are running.  For second place, I would pick a bear tour at Icy Strait Point.  These are both brown bear tours.

This is what I'm planning to do in September! That said, I don't think the salmon start running till the second half of July, so it might take a little bit of extra luck earlier in the season. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2024 at 11:00 AM, wolfie11 said:

Any independent operator you would recommend? Is mid to late June too early? My first choice is whale watching at ISP. If that's not available because of our timing in port, then I would love to see some bears in action!

LAX

4 hours ago, LAX said:

Any independent operator you would recommend? Is mid to late June too early? My first choice is whale watching at ISP. If that's not available because of our timing in port, then I would love to see some bears in action!

LAX

This is who I used in Hoonah: http://geestahuntours.com

He was very determined to find me bears in May (I was skeptical as I know we are off season). We found 3.

Depending on how late in July you are traveling. If the salmon are running you can often spot black bears feeding at Herring Cove on the outskirts of Ketchikan. We have very good luck there. 

• Like 1

On my last Alaska trip in June 2018, we saw a bear along the side of the road (within 6 feet) while riding the public bus back to town from Mendenhall Glacier.  We also took a jet boat adventure tour to the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve in Haines from our port of Skagway (took a ferry from Skagway to Haines), and we saw 8 bears foraging on the banks along the river, including a mother with 2 cubs.  That was an unexpected surprise.