Charges to Seapass Card - 18 year old

1 hour ago, sjmbruce said:

I'm already treating her to airfare, a cruise, and an internet/soda package. I am being plenty nice. I don't mind buying her a coffee or giving her a small daily budget, but I don't want her thinking she's 18 and on a cruise with an unlimited magic card. 

I apologize if this isn't how most others feel and no disrespect intended, but is it not easy for an 18 year old to understand "Don't charge anything to your seapass without asking me"? I have taken on two different cruises two of my boys 16 year old friends and never had an issue.  I think most can understand that if they are asked to hand over their seapass-they are going to get charged--so just don't hand it over.

Edited by chfenton
typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, chfenton said:

I apologize if this isn't how most others feel and no disrespect intended, but is it not easy for an 18 year old to understand "Don't charge anything to your seapass without asking me"?

I take it you're not around a lot of teens these days 🙂? I get what you're saying. Yes, she'll understand.  Will she push boundaries, maybe?  I don't think she'll do anything irresponsible but I also want to eliminate the temptation. Either way, I just wanted to know if Royal would let me block her card from purchases. 

You know your niece.

With the packages you have included, there is no reason for her to spend extra

Not sure when your trip is, maybe she has time to find a way to earn some money for any extra she may want 

You are amazing to take her on this trip and this can be a great teachable moment

• Thanks 1

The terminal counter check-in agents can make her account ‘cash’, but if she charges anything, it will have to be paid.  You could talk to the staff at Guest Services on board to see if they could block or limit her card.  Do you have her crew gratuities covered under a booking promotion?  If not, then whatever credit card registered would be charged.

It is important to let the kids know that if a crew member scans or swipes your seapass card then you are being charged for something.

10 hours ago, sjmbruce said:

I'm already treating her to airfare, a cruise, and an internet/soda package. I am being plenty nice. I don't mind buying her a coffee or giving her a small daily budget, but I don't want her thinking she's 18 and on a cruise with an unlimited magic card. 

We had my husband's daughter get mad and decide a few weeks prior to a cruise that if her boyfriend couldn't come neither would she ( She was 18). We had paid for the cruise and EVERYTHING that went with it. She thought she was sticking it to us and we'd give in. Instead my husband said to my daughter who was 21 find a friend to bring it's already paid. So she did.  I told the friend it's a free cruise and air fare ,food& non-alcoholic drinks ALL YOU need to do is bring spending money! 

Her mom  couldn't believe the offer. The friend was 20 and it was her first cruise and the 2 of them had the time of their lives lol. 

But I just couldn't afford her spending money. 

So I totally understand!

11 hours ago, sjmbruce said:

I take it you're not around a lot of teens these days 🙂? I get what you're saying. Yes, she'll understand.  Will she push boundaries, maybe?  I don't think she'll do anything irresponsible but I also want to eliminate the temptation. Either way, I just wanted to know if Royal would let me block her card from purchases. 

I have 5 kids ranging from 21 - 27, so I personally am familiar, my kids always had changing privileges BUT they were told how much was acceptable (and believe me I wasn’t generous, on our last cruise my 19 and 20 year old were allowed beer and wine with the parent waiver (NCL) but knew whatever they charged would be paid back). The problem with a cruise vacation is that nothing can be purchased with cash. Can she set up a cash account?

6 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

We had my husband's daughter get mad and decide a few weeks prior to a cruise that if her boyfriend couldn't come neither would she ( She was 18). We had paid for the cruise and EVERYTHING that went with it. She thought she was sticking it to us and we'd give in. Instead my husband said to my daughter who was 21 find a friend to bring it's already paid. So she did.  I told the friend it's a free cruise and air fare ,food& non-alcoholic drinks ALL YOU need to do is bring spending money! 

Her mom  couldn't believe the offer. The friend was 20 and it was her first cruise and the 2 of them had the time of their lives lol. 

But I just couldn't afford her spending money. 

So I totally understand!

Sounds like a good life lesson for the 18 yr old.  

On 1/28/2024 at 10:29 AM, sjmbruce said:

Unfortunately she doesn't have one. She's a bit of a late bloomer who had a really hard time with life the last few years due to health issues and parental abandonment. She's finally getting it together but no job/no credit card.  

First, she's only 18!  She's at the normal age "to bloom".  

If I were in your shoes, I think I'd do a run-around:  I'd get her a $10 VISA gift card and put that number in during check in.  This means -- I think -- that once the $10 is gone, she'd be unable to charge any more.  Honestly, what's she going to need to charge onboard?  You've covered her sodas.  The $10 would allow her to get a fancy coffee here or there, as you mentioned.  

But, yes, do discuss charges on board ahead of time.  I assume this is her first time onboard, and you don't want her to assume this or that's free.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

We had my husband's daughter get mad and decide a few weeks prior to a cruise that if her boyfriend couldn't come neither would she ( She was 18).

Hey, I was stupid and stubborn when I was 18 too.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I have 5 kids ranging from 21 - 27, so I personally am familiar, my kids always had changing privileges BUT they were told how much was acceptable (and believe me I wasn’t generous

I think the key here is that you made your boundaries crystal clear ahead of time.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I think the key here is that you made your boundaries crystal clear ahead of time.  

I would do the same with anyone who was on my account (plus check the account often). I did fine that, when I gave charging privileges with a warning, they actually spent less than if we were somewhere where they would have to ask me for cash. If I gave them a $50 limit, they wouldn’t go over $30. Obviously not scientific, but it surprised me each time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Hey, I was stupid and stubborn when I was 18 too.  

Haha. Our cruise got canceled due to Hurry Harvey so when we booked for the following summer she decided they had promised they wouldn't go on any more vacations without each other. Yea except they did just not that one. I love her but she is way more spoiled ( think little rich kid) than my kids so my daughter actually had more fun without her.

• Like 1