Yacht Club Benefits...Really

Misty Morning

We are 4 Star YC members and I was looking to book a one week cruise in Europe in May under Last Minute cruise deal and because is is under a "flash" fare, not only do you not get the 5% Loyalty Discount and 5% Come Home discount (these I can understand due to the low pricing proposed) but they are telling me that I do will not get the $100 OBC, the free laundry nor the free wifi, wow.  First I have heard of this, has anyone experienced this?

• Like 1

Unfortunately, yes. We are also 4 star (450 points). I have learned I have to do a lot of math to figure out whether the savings of a lower fare are actually savings. It doesn’t make sense since what we get for yacht club benefits doesn’t actually cost the cruise much. I get the not getting the additional discounts but I don’t get eliminating the onboard benefits. You do still get dinner with an officer.

• Like 1

I know how you feel. Happened to us. We have taken 10 WS cruises and have 89 points. We took WS cruises before the new loyalty program. We were delighted when WS announced the loyalty program.  Got a email with promo for a cruise that had changed itinerary.  Price was attractive. Still being cautious about Covid, we hesitantly booked cruise for Sept 2022.  Once onboard, we noticed that OBC from loyalty program wasn’t posted on our account. Questioned it. Figured it was an error. We were told that we could only get the discount in the store and  10% off the laundry.  We were on a 10 night cruise.  The explanation was discounted rates aren’t eligible for OBC.  It was annoying.  I am in other cruise lines loyalty program. Regardless of price, I get all listed benefits for my loyalty level.  Since that cruise, I have sailed 4 times, not WS.  I have 2 future bookings, not on WS.  
Will we book a WS cruise again? Perhaps, if the price is right and the itinerary works for us.  If we do, I will be shocked if we get anything from the loyalty program.  

On 1/29/2024 at 5:16 PM, Nearpost345 said:

Honestly just go to reception onboard and tell them to turn on your wi fi and assign your suite to free laundry. They’ll see your 4 star status in the system, job done.

That doesn’t work.  They are adamant about withholding loyalty benefits.  
New WS president has changed WS.  No fun for loyalists. 

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

That doesn’t work.  They are adamant about withholding loyalty benefits.  
New WS president has changed WS.  No fun for loyalists. 

We were on 89 as well at commencement of our last cruise. Although Windstar’s policy is that you will not be upgraded to 4stars till the end of your cruise, I approached reception on day 4 of our cruise and she was delighted to switch on our free internet (laundry was already no charge due to length of cruise). Prelog (ceo) actually joined our cruise shortly after. He was hired some months maybe a year or so even before.

As I stated earlier Windstar will not apply any discounts or obc to reduced rate cruises. 

Finally I would only add that for reception to know that a 4 star passenger is not entitled to free laundry/internet 15% shop discount, head office would have to send them a note attached to the passengers names. I don’t think they have sunk to that level of churlishness yet.

Sorry, one more addendum, it could be that where we may have got lucky was when the receptionist waived the rule about when you get 4star treatment, by upgrading our status mid cruise (not official windstar policy)

Edited by Nearpost345

Actually, sales rep told me we would not get laundry nor wifi at that rate but when invoice came in, both were there.  The OBC's were not given the heavily discounted rate and that's fine.  We also got the 10% discount on Drink packages and 15% on excursions.  Everyone is happy

Perhaps the intro of the loyalty program has caused problems.  I loved WS before the loyalty program.   Thought that it was very nice that WS was rewarding loyal guests. I don’t think that WS intended to annoy guests. Now I have doubts.  

53 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Perhaps the intro of the loyalty program has caused problems.  I loved WS before the loyalty program.   Thought that it was very nice that WS was rewarding loyal guests. I don’t think that WS intended to annoy guests. Now I have doubts.  

My experience overall with the company is that the head office can overcomplicate things with their various offerings. Even now they are offering two 7 day back to back cruises on windsurf in march for about $2600 each. However if you take up their 14 day offering (amounting to the same dates march 9 thru 23rd) they want $8,000. That’s just an example. But I look at things on the whole when it comes to Windstar, and have benefited more from their wonkiness than I’ve suffered. I don’t think they’re intending to annoy the guests as they muddle along.

I’d also have to add that any weirdness from head office is massively offset by the treatment we receive from the crew once were on board.

Just my  opinion but as a four star general! 😎 I love the loyalty program

Edited by Nearpost345
  • Like 2