Just booked Celebrity Italy/Croatia Cruise - Question about Venice port

Borrillje

Hi! I apologize as I'm sure this has been addressed before but I'm not finding much by searching. We just booked a July cruise on Celebrity that leaves from "Venice," but the port is listed as Ravenna. According to Google maps, Ravenna is over 2 hours from Venice, and much closer to Bologna. Is this correct? We used FBC and booked a flight into Venice, but now I'm wondering if we should have flown to Bologna instead. 

For those that have experience with this region - assuming we stay in Venice for a couple days, pre-cruise, would it be easier to travel down to Ravenna the night before departure? We sail at 5 pm. 

Any and all tips and advice appreciated!

The cruise port is Ravenna and yes Bologna is closer and easier to get to the port.    That said Venice is one of my favorite city's in the world.   So I am flying in to Venice and staying for a couple of days before heading out on my cruise.   We will travel from Venice the day of taking the train down, even with a change of trains required.

Using info from Rome2Rio the public transport journey time from Venice to Ravenna is at minimum 3hours.  That would make me want to travel the evening before - but there still is plenty of time to go off at 8 am . 

It may well be that the cruise line puts on a shuttle from the airport.  I would look into that as my first option (and I rarely say that for shuttles).  

Bologna is a little more accessible.  I stayed overnight before a cruise from Trieste.  I have been to Venice before so was pleased to visit a different city.  As lovely as Bologna is, Venice is in a different league.  You have made the right choice going to Venice first

Edited by ollienbertsmum

If you haven't been to Venice before you should definitely spend a couple or more days there before the cruise. Celebrity has transfers to Ravenna on the day of the cruise from the airport and also the city which may be convenient and easy for you. Alternatively you can get a private shuttle to Ravenna or the train which will require a change of trains. If you go to Ravenna the day before the cruise there are many wonderful mosaics to see in various churches in the town.

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We're doing a Celebrity cruise from Revenna and had the same question about getting there from Venice.  It turns out Celebrity has a bus from the train station in Venice to the port in Revenna for about $60.  A bit more than the train but more convenient.  For some reason they don't have it available on the web site, so you have to call them. 

16 minutes ago, RockSloth said:

We're doing a Celebrity cruise from Revenna and had the same question about getting there from Venice.  It turns out Celebrity has a bus from the train station in Venice to the port in Revenna for about $60.  A bit more than the train but more convenient.  For some reason they don't have it available on the web site, so you have to call them. 

Just for clarity, the pickup point isn't the train station but an area called "Tronchetto" which is reachable by taking the People Mover (like a monorail) from Piazzale Roma, the main transport hub of Venice, where local buses and taxis pick up and drop off.

Tronchetto is basically a small island that serves mainly as a parking area for people going to and from Venice. It is just past the cruise port that ships used before Venice barred them from docking in the city.

Edited to add:  I used this shuttle and think it's probably the easiest option short of a private transfer -- which would be much more expensive.

Edited by cruisemom42

24 minutes ago, RockSloth said:

Thanks for the correction CruiseMom42.  I should have double checked instead of just going from memory.

LOL You did make us smile as we were trying to picture a bus getting to the train station 🙂