Silver Nova Aft Medallion Suite

sea bright

As I could find very little information about this type of suite before sailing, I thought I would post our thoughts. We are on the Nova from Lima to Buenos Aires in suite 7082. We love the very deep balcony! When we boarded it had one lounge chair and a dining table and 2 chairs. We asked for the 2nd lounge chair as there was plenty of room and are spending a lot of time on the balcony.

We've never been in a Medallion Suite before. Although smaller, it functions similarly to a Muse class Silver Suite, with a separate room for the toilet, the makeup table in the closet and the ability to completely close off the bedroom from the living area.There is more storage in the bathroom, but much less in the closet compared to a Muse class Silver Suite and  there are  fewer and smaller drawers.

We haven't had an issue with smoke on the balcony from the Panorama smoking area (although I know it has been in use pretty consistently in the evenings).

The covered part of the balcony has similar privacy to Veranda or Silver Suite balconies. However, the uncovered portion (3-4 feet in from the railing) is visible from balconies above and potentially the Panorama fire pit area. This hasn't been an issue for us. In fact, we've yet to see anyone sit at the Panorama fire pit.

We like the fact that all of the sliders/windows are in the living area and the bedroom is internal. Unlike the other Silversea ships, the curtains are inset into the sliders/windows. Thus, even when fully closed there is a fair amount of light visible around the curtains. The ability to close off the bedroom from the light in the living area is great (and would not be possible in a Nova Silver Suite).

Happy to try and answer any questions.

20240117_181326.jpg

20240116_161910.jpg

20240116_161931.jpg

Edited by sea bright
Double post
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the information. I booked a Medallion Suite for a 2025 Japan sailing on the Nova. The one I booked is more mid ship on deck 8. I gather that the main difference is the balcony size. Have you seen non aft Medallion Suites? Is the suite you are in OK for someone with mild mobility issues?

I am looking forward to sailing on the Silver Nova and wish you a great time onboard.

Thanks so much for posting! We are currently booked in the neighboring cabin (7080) and I had concerns about natural light due to the depth of the balcony. Also concerned about port views since the privacy protector is so deep. In general would you recommend the aft cabins (although we are not in the Medallion Suite)? Any info is appreciated!

We really liked the aft cabin. The balcony was very deep.  Most days it had a mix of sun and shade. The views from the room and balcony were great and we didn't feel that the room was too dark. The only issue was that there was no breeze at all a couple of sea days - great when we were in Patagonia, not as great when it was hot and buggy near Buenos Aires. Fortunately, the pool had a bit of a breeze that day.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 4:55 PM, frankhi said:

I was in 8091 in November, the squeaking and creaking was so bad when a sea that I had to change cabins.

That’s interesting.  Has anyone else experienced this?  We’re considering an aft suite on Nova for a Japan cruise.  We enjoyed our aft cabin on another cruise line years ago but then we didn’t have rough seas.  Is it much worse than mid-ship in heavy seas?

We were midship in 8046 on the November TA and it was extremely creaky.  My DH said it was probably due to the fact that a new ship has not been shaken around enough so that wear-points have not been rubbed down smooth yet.  He determined that we would always carry a pack of wood shims (wedges) when we sail a new ship!

We had some very  rough sea days and found the squeaking and creaking much less than when we were midship on older ships like the Shadow. However, on the rough days on the Nova the drawer with the safe slid open and closed, banging each time until we shimmed it with the shoe polish rag. Similarly, the doors to the bedroom from the living room need to be shimmed well with the provided doorstops or they bang. 

7 minutes ago, sea bright said:

We had some very  rough sea days and found the squeaking and creaking much less than when we were midship on older ships like the Shadow. However, on the rough days on the Nova the drawer with the safe slid open and closed, banging each time until we shimmed it with the shoe polish rag. Similarly, the doors to the bedroom from the living room need to be shimmed well with the provided doorstops or they bang. 

Thanks for the reply.  And on rough days how did you find the motion in general in the aft.  Much worse than midship?

38 minutes ago, sea bright said:

On Whisper all the drawers in the closet opened and closed in rough seas.  The drawers in the cabin and the door in front of the safe have hold-fast closers.  We were able to put shoes in front of the bottom drawer to hold it closed, but nothing would stop the higher ones.  We were surprised, because Hebridean Sky was designed (in 1990) with brass rods that slide in to holes and all the drawers secure in even the roughest seas.

2 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

on rough days how did you find the motion in general in the aft.  Much worse than midship?

I had a creaky aft facing cabin and moved to a midship one. There was no significant difference in motion. I found Nova (on a TA) to be extremely stable.

The motion was a little worse aft than midship, but not nearly as bad as being forward - like the gym or the SALT Bar. Definitely felt the motion there - so much so that I canceled a training session on a rough sea day even though I was fine in our cabin and on our balcony.