Entertainment on Explora

ScotBrit17

Question for those that have been onboard. What is the entertainment like in the evenings, I believe there is no such thing as good and bad entertainment, it's just that different people like and dislike different things.

We like popular music from the 70's and 80's with a range of rock, dance and disco, good to have a live band but happy with a DJ on some nights. We also like comedians and magicians maybe once on each cruise.

We dislike jazz, string music or classical.

We do currently cruise main line luxury (Princess and Celebrity) and the entertainment meets our requirements. Looking to try something a bit more upmarket and know we will like the food and the staff, the entertainment is the only concern and wouldn't want to spend 2 or 3 times normal cost and be disappointed as we do like to enjoy the evenings.

Thanks for comments.

• Thanks 1

My guess is you will find enough you like 

the entertainment is lower key, no big production shows. There’s a trio that plays classic rock, and several of the cabaret-style shows on our sailing featured your genres eg Whitney Houston and a sort of Fun Songs night with 80s and disco. The karaoke 

night was also mostly in your era. Of course there are other shows you might choose to skip. There is a fair bit of piano but so many bars and spaces, it’s easy to avoid if not for you. We had a magician, no comedian, but I’m sure the entertainers vary by sailing.

1 minute ago, JTor said:

My guess is you will find enough you like 

the entertainment is lower key, no big production shows. There’s a trio that plays classic rock, and several of the cabaret-style shows on our sailing featured your genres eg Whitney Houston and a sort of Fun Songs night with 80s and disco. The karaoke 

night was also mostly in your era. Of course there are other shows you might choose to skip. There is a fair bit of piano but so many bars and spaces, it’s easy to avoid if not for you. We had a magician, no comedian, but I’m sure the entertainers vary by sailing.

Oh and I forgot they morph into DJ every night after the late show which is much more contemporary music 

If you are used to entertainment on majority of ships you will be very disappointed in Explora. No production shows. A few minor singers. Player piano. Never saw a comedian. TV movies geared to kids. Best thing you can do in the evening is jump in bed. Linens and pillows superb. 

• Like 1

The entertainment is their very weak spot. However their entertainment manager left during our cruise and we heard more changes were afoot. They are trying to do shows with two pretty average singers who don’t even know their material enough to not have their iPads with them on stage. That model doesn’t work. We had two very good guest entertainers but as piano players they were rather similar to the other evening offerings. It needed much more variety 
The piano players are very good but the scheduling of their sessions vs bar hours was lunatic but that might have been an entertainment manager issue. 
If you’re prepared to be flexible and make your own entertainment some of the time it’s fine but our experience was very much 3/10 in the survey compared to other lines 

17 hours ago, ScotBrit17 said:

We dislike jazz, string music or classical.

We do currently cruise main line luxury (Princess and Celebrity) and the entertainment meets our requirements.

IMO, Explora will not come close. 

Thanks, I am sure you are correct and evening entertainment is so important to us so we will look elsewhere.

Can any of the group who are regular cruisers on other ultra luxury lines suggest an alternative for us.

33 minutes ago, ScotBrit17 said:

Thanks, I am sure you are correct and evening entertainment is so important to us so we will look elsewhere.

Can any of the group who are regular cruisers on other ultra luxury lines suggest an alternative for us.

Sorry, you simply won't get comparable entertainment in this cruise sector. In our opinion, closest is probably Crystal.

• Like 1

We had mostly good entertainment on Regent. In all bars in the evening is something to do. On stage it is or show or singer or comedian or..... (and that with own or guest artists)

21 minutes ago, ScotBrit17 said:

Thanks, looking at YouTube videos Seabourn looks a possibility 

We’re loyal Seabourn guests, and for a small ship environment Seabourn punches above its weight in terms of evening entertainment and shows. Production shows, guest performers, live band for dancing, piano or guitar lounge players.  Having said that, it’s not going to be on the scale of Celebrity or Princess.  While disappointing in some ways, we found the evening entertainment on Explora to be okay and likely to get better quick (it was an acknowledged issue that was being worked on) - we had fun with karaoke and have booked a future Explora voyage because in all other respects it was a great cruise.  We’re sticking with Seabourn for longer voyages, but will be happy to return to Explora.  

1 hour ago, ScotBrit17 said:

Still a bit frightened to book Crystal, looks good but would like to get more confidence that they are here for good

Bit off topic here but just what would you be waiting for to give you that confidence?

They're back and the new company has absolutely 100% nothing to do with the old one

A&K bought the ships and some other assets - not a company - they’ve built a company and offering and spent a lot of money doing so - time to get onboard and enjoy the Crystal experience

We’re looking forward to cruising on Crystal Serenity in 3 weeks time

• Like 3

I agree with Stick 100%. A&K in partnership with Manfredi d’Ovidio bought the ships. Manfredi flush with cash after he sold Silversea to RCL. He has always wanted to be Crystal. Now has the chance. 
We are on board Symphony now. Couldn’t be happier. Have booked three more Crystals in 24, half of WC in 25 and about to book end of 25 in Red Sea. Canceling all my Explora bookings. Crystal 25% cheaper in top  cabin categories. And Crystsl at least 50% better all around. 
And remember, due to Ei and Moecker we didn’t lose a dime on collapse iof old Crystal thanks to New Crystal. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 10:00 PM, Whipsnade said:

I agree with Stick 100%. A&K in partnership with Manfredi d’Ovidio bought the ships. Manfredi flush with cash after he sold Silversea to RCL. He has always wanted to be Crystal. Now has the chance. 
We are on board Symphony now. Couldn’t be happier. Have booked three more Crystals in 24, half of WC in 25 and about to book end of 25 in Red Sea. Canceling all my Explora bookings. Crystal 25% cheaper in top  cabin categories. And Crystsl at least 50% better all around. 
And remember, due to Ei and Moecker we didn’t lose a dime on collapse iof old Crystal thanks to New Crystal. 

Good to hear. Haven’t considered a return to Crystal yet, but your experience may be the push we need.

28 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Good to hear. Haven’t considered a return to Crystal yet, but your experience may be the push we need.

Were on Serenity at the moment - it’s great - basically what old Crystal was with some tweaks eg new Italian restaurant and many more larger suites (but less overall capacity)

The entertainment and enrichment programme is top notch 

Having said that we’re definitely returning to Explora as well as we really enjoyed our time on her - and the dining is superb

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Were on Serenity at the moment - it’s great - basically what old Crystal was with some tweaks eg new Italian restaurant and many more larger suites (but less overall capacity)

The entertainment and enrichment programme is top notch 

Having said that we’re definitely returning to Explora as well as we really enjoyed our time on her - and the dining is superb

We’ve fully cruise booked until spring 2025 with Explora, Silversea, Celebrity, Princess, NCL and Emerald Ocean. But actively looking for summer and fall 2025, and winter 2026. In particular, looking for a cruise call at Easter Island on the way to Tahiti, and a cruise from BA or Rio to Florida or the Caribbean in February 2026.

52 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

We’ve fully cruise booked until spring 2025 with Explora, Silversea, Celebrity, Princess, NCL and Emerald Ocean. But actively looking for summer and fall 2025, and winter 2026. In particular, looking for a cruise call at Easter Island on the way to Tahiti, and a cruise from BA or Rio to Florida or the Caribbean in February 2026.

From the sublime to the ridiculous … who do you think you are…. me?

Those Toronto people…..

ps - I haven’t even HEARD of Emerald Ocean …. Is that like Irish ☘️ Spring?

Ok - just realized they’re part of Seen-it

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Haha 2

As much as we enjoyed  Explora ship we have canceled our three cruises with them. They are giving 40% off to all new bookings in OT cabins. Refused to give us sane discount in PH. So we would be paying $2300 per day while others enjoyed same amenities for $300 per day. We are paying $1700 order for similar suite on Crystal. Which would you choose?

Explora is owned sbd operated by a lower price cruise company and they are doing things like those ships. Discounting. Loading up with freebie TAs and “infkuencers”. Hiring inexperienced staff in Gulf states. Poor entertainment. I could go on. Pity, because no doubt most beautiful ship on the ocean. 
We are sticking with Crystal. Their 26 itins will be out in the next few weeks and we will be first to sign up so we get our cabin choice. 

• Like 1

BTW Explora promised a frequent guest program in August. Still waiting. 
Prices to eat in Anthology outrageous rip off. 
Shorex lackluster. Room service abominable; they Fri g you a tray and plop it down. No table setting or tablecloth. They just do not understand luxury cruising. 
Maybe they will learn. If they do and have some decent itins we will be back. And, yes, competitive pricing for higher end suites.