POA Hawaii Cruise

Hello...We are going on our first ever cruise next month on POA and had a couple questions.  Does anyone know what type of coffee maker they have in the rooms?  Are you allowed to have extension cords for the rooms?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, welcome to Cruise Critic!

Whether or not they have a coffee maker in the cabin has nothing to do with Hawaii, it would be a NCL policy issue. It is quite likely they will have free coffee somewhere on the ship. Check here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/64-norwegian-cruise-line/

Extension cords are a 4 letter word in MANY situations, as a very serious fire hazard, including on cruise ships. They won't allow them. Power strips are another topic, but they will likely require you use theirs. Another question for the NCL board.

2 hours ago, SteveNDawn said:

Hello...We are going on our first ever cruise next month on POA and had a couple questions.  Does anyone know what type of coffee maker they have in the rooms?  Are you allowed to have extension cords for the rooms?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No coffee makers in the room, no extension cords, power strips, surge protectors, and multi-plugs in ship staterooms.

Please DO NOT judge cruising by the POA experience. The POA is a floating Motel 6 with Denny's for dining. Sign up for a 7 day on a ship like the NCL Bliss and you won't be able to believe they come from the same company.

You’ll have a great time. As soon as you get into your room, ask the room attendant if you see them for a coffee maker or call customer service and ask for one. It’s a Hamilton beech type so senseo pods. Nespresso makers in Haven but I don’t think POA has one. Customer service will bring an extension cord if needed. 
POA doesn’t have quite the entertainment options because you’re in port for 2 days typically 

Having sailed on the POA twice and also on the Bliss & Encore several times, I will tell you that the POA is an older and smaller ship (e.g., no go-karts or laser tag), but last time we sailed (in November, 2022) it was immaculate, most of the food was very good, and the staff was great. Of course, the Islands are the main show, but we really also enjoyed the entertainment on board. Keep an open mind and you'll have a great time!

There was a coffee maker in our room at that time, but I know that you can't bring your own extension cord because one of our suitcases ended up in the "naughty room" because Security thought one of our charging cords was an extension cord. You just have to ask your room steward if you don't see the coffee maker - it might be in the closet, too. S/he will bring you the coffee, creamer and sugar - just ask.

Here's my review from our cruise if you're interested, Just skip to #20 if you're not interested in reading about our time in Waikiki pre-cruise. (I know there's another, more recent, review from this past fall, but I can't find it right now.)  Have a fabulous cruise!

Edited by NikiPinkston
Add
  • Like 1

If you have a balcony room, you'll get like a hot-shot style Mr. Coffee thing, not a fancy coffee maker like suites might have.

You are not allowed to bring anything that has surge protection. Since I have a CPAP machine and I always send in the NCL Access form, the cruise line has always supplied me with an extension cord and distilled water, so I haven't had to bring my own. A little Anker charging cube from Amazon has been all I needed to bring.

I don't know if my cabin plan diagram will help you or not, but here it is. I have the outlet places marked down.

NCLPoABalconyPlan.jpg

• Like 1

My wife uses a CPAP, and we have been using the same extension cord arrangement for 7 cruises, with out any issues.   Also no issue on Princess.

We always unplug it when leaving the room, so it isn't a trip hazard to the steward.

4 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

My wife uses a CPAP, and we have been using the same extension cord arrangement for 7 cruises, with out any issues.   Also no issue on Princess.

We always unplug it when leaving the room, so it isn't a trip hazard to the steward.

That is a perfect example of why bad things happen...people ignore the real world experience. But what do I know, after 40 years in the fire service. 

• Like 3