Klawock - new cruise port

roninman

Klawock will be a brand new Inside Passage port starting in 2024.  Oceania and Seabourn will be adding this stop to their itinerary.   Regent Seven Seas, for its part, in some cases will entirely replace the Ketchikan visit with Klawock.

Being new, Klawock doesn't seem to have much cruise infrastructure set up at this point.   Opening was already postponed a year because facilities were not completed as planned.   They need to build a new dock, but for now plan to have a "temporary tender dock," which seems to indicate a tender will be necessary.   There are also plans this year to establish a "temporary" visitor center and "temporary" rest rooms at the temporary dock.

The temporary dock is some ways from town, so I'm assuming a bus will run back and forth. 

The main attraction at this point seems to be a small hilly section of town park where 21 replica totem poles stand, with interpretive signs.   Beyond that, guests can walk through the town along the river if they want.   There are also plans to set up more dining options or gift shop options than currently exist.   Also there seems to be a boat ride where one can watch for whales or otters, as one can also so watch from the cruise ship.

Looking forward to actual port and excursion reports once anyone actually goes on any, assuming things are actually set up for temporary facility opening this May.

No doubt this will be interesting as an added stop, in addition to the biggies (ie, Sitka, Ketchikan, Juneaus...).  But completely replacing an established Ketchikan with Klawock on the part of ultra luxury Regent Seven Seas is an interesting and curious move.  Perhaps they are saving on port fees.

Edited by roninman

Think about this.  Almost every cruise to AK stops at Juneau and Ketchikan.  Frequent AK visitors have been to the big 3 AK ports more times than they can count.  Kudos to Regent for trying something different.

DON

• Like 2

Wonder if this might not be another native run development - much like what has been done at Icy Strait Point.

And just exactly where on the inside passage is it located or what "big town" is it close to.

Klawock is being developed by a consortium of native corporations including Huna and Doyon, both of whom are heavily invested in tourism.  It will be modeled after Icy Strait with an old logging camp turned into a tourist area with several attractions.

1 hour ago, wolfie11 said:

Klawock is being developed by a consortium of native corporations including Huna and Doyon, both of whom are heavily invested in tourism.  It will be modeled after Icy Strait with an old logging camp turned into a tourist area with several attractions.

It seems the key here is the future tense- nothing appears to be really ready for prime time yet, everything still appears to be in future phases.    Additionally, the focus on developing a tourist area with purpose-built attractions seems to make it more a disneyland than an organic, historic venue, as far as cruise passengers are concerned.  

Will be eager to here reports of the initial visitors, assuming the tender dock is completed on time for the first dockings in May.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 6:36 AM, roninman said:

Additionally, the focus on developing a tourist area with purpose-built attractions seems to make it more a disneyland than an organic, historic venue, as far as cruise passengers are concerned.  

I completely agree with you! I do like Icy Strait Point but I have to tell you - I went directly into Hoonah. I did a whale watching with a local company and also a wildlife (bear) excursion with a local.

I agree this is a great port for whale watching. The rest of Icy Strait Point came across as fake for me and "too shiny". Though from comments from this board - people like the made up cruise ports.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2