Which Glacier Itinerary is Better?

Racer2016

Planning a cruise through inside passage.  Looking at two options.  One includes Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier and the other includes Glacier National Bay.  What is the difference between the two?  Any advice and/or opinions is welcome.

Thank you!

Looking at the same issue; everything I read indicates Glacier Bay is not to be missed, but of the ships we are looking at, the one that doesn't go to GB (and goes to Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier) is the better fit for everything else. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Racer2016 said:

Planning a cruise through inside passage.  Looking at two options.  One includes Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier and the other includes Glacier National Bay.  What is the difference between the two?  Any advice and/or opinions is welcome.

Thank you!

To provide some perspective. When working cruise ships, I completed 2 consecutive Alaska seasons and we only got into Dawes Glacier once.

In over 30 cruises, I have never failed to see at least 1 glacier, in Glacier Bay National Park. Does Glacier Bay have the best glaciers, while it is subjective, I'll suggest other glaciers are more impressive. However, if you can't get to the glacier, due to ice, it doesn't really matter how impressive the glacier is, as you won't see it.

As an additional benefit in Glacier Bay, the Park Rangers provide commentary. 

• Like 1

Glacier Bay is a National Park. Park Rangers board and give presentation. It is an entire day of viewing beautiful Alaska beauty. It is rarely missed.

I have had luck recently with visiting Dawes Glacier at Endicott Arm. Most of the time, I have gone there because Tracy Arm is iced own. The route to Tracy Arm is windy and difficult for ships to navigate with ice. Thus, they will often skip this and go to Endicott Arm instead which is less windy. Endicott Arm doesn't have as much scenery as Glacier Bay and has one glacier at the end. If I was to rank glaciers ships go to, this would be the least favorite.

For your first trip, go to Glacier Bay.

• Like 1

This one isn't even close.  Dawes Glacier, while magnificent, is VERY rarely seen up close on cruise ships.  It's a narrow passage and there is always sea ice.  Even if you are lucky, your view will still be from a distance, and you don't spend much time there.  Cruising Endicott Arm is nice though, and I always get a kick out of Sumdum Glacier near the entrance of the arm.

Glacier Bay is FAR better than Dawes.  

This is a true story that has happened multiple times. We are scheduled to visit Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glacier) and get diverted to Endicott Arm (Dawes glacier). The Captain makes the announcement as we enter Endicott Arm. 

Individuals don't come out until we hit the face of the glacier for their "10 minutes of viewing outside that day" and claim how beautiful Sawyer Glacier is. I then tell them we didn't go to Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier but went to Endicott Arm/Dawes glacier instead due to ice conditions. They then tell me I am wrong as we are scheduled to go to Tracy Arm. It is hilarious the individuals who just spend 10-15 minutes outside that day at the face of the glacier and have no clue what they are seeing.

I have been lucky enough to get very close to Dawes glacier multiple times. It is probably my least favorite glacier. Definitely not as scenic as going through Tracy Arm but Tracy Arm is cancelled more often.

• Like 1