Question re: insurance for US travellers

franski

Hi -

A friend called and asked me about our travel insurance, as I was telling her about our annual plan.  She cannot purchase the same plan, as it is for Canadians only.  I was not able to answer her questions as I am not sure what types of travel insurance is available in the US. I said I would post on Cruise Critic - and ask the people who regularly travel.  So...

1) Is there an annual plan available to people in the US? 

2) If so, what does it cover? (Mine covers trip interruptions & cancellations, out of country medical etc.  I am covered for 17 days on each trip - I just need to be back in Canada for 24 hrs for it to reset).

3) If there is not something similar, what would people suggest for insurance?  

4) Is there a website that I can direct her to that deals with insurance?

Thanks so much for your help in this.  I have taken my travel insurance options for granted - and, in talking with her, realize how great my plan is.   Hopefully there is something similar she can purchase.

Fran

Edited by franski

We have always purchased our trip insurance through insuremytrip.com.  It allows you to compare price and features, and choose easily.  I have never purchased an annual plan, but they are available at insuremytrip.com.  (Note: the website lists the plans by "featured", but you can re-sort by price, which I always do).

I would suggest that your friends should call Steve at tripinsurancestore at 888-407-3854 or 816-282-6858.  He has a wealth of knowledge about trip insurance and is happy to educate you (his website is also a goldmine of information) and suggest the best plan for your particular circumstances.  I have used him on my last two bookings, and he has recommended different companies each time because of details that I would never have even known to ask about.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I would suggest that your friends should call Steve at tripinsurancestore at 888-407-3854 or 816-282-6858.  He has a wealth of knowledge about trip insurance and is happy to educate you (his website is also a goldmine of information) and suggest the best plan for your particular circumstances.  I have used him on my last two bookings, and he has recommended different companies each time because of details that I would never have even known to ask about.

I have always wanted to ask this question - does Steve sell to Canadians as well?  I wish we had someone that was so knowledgeable to contact in Canada.

I have an insurance broker that we have used and insurance is her business and she cannot answer most of our questions.

To me, in general, it seems as though Americans have more specific and understandable language in their policies and for us Canadians, the language is vague and ends up being a case-by-case scenario that you cannot predict in advance.

9 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I have always wanted to ask this question - does Steve sell to Canadians as well?  I wish we had someone that was so knowledgeable to contact in Canada.

I have an insurance broker that we have used and insurance is her business and she cannot answer most of our questions.

To me, in general, it seems as though Americans have more specific and understandable language in their policies and for us Canadians, the language is vague and ends up being a case-by-case scenario that you cannot predict in advance.

Ha!  I bet the US ones are more specific since we sue over everything! And--the law in the US is that since the insurance companies write the policies, anything vague gets construed against them.  So the companies have learned to write clearly.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Hi - Not sure if you qualify to purchase, but we have travel insurance through Medoc - via Johnson Insurance.  I qualify as I am considered a "friend of healthcare" (retired nurse).   My friend has it as her husband retired from Toronto Hydro.  It is an annual package - either 17 or 35 days. There are 3 levels of coverage - based on your risk.  It covers trip interruptions or cancellations, out of country medical, lost luggage etc.  You just have to be back in Canada for 24 hours for it to restart.  The trip cancellation amount is fairly substantial... $8k/pp/per trip.   You can pay in 1 lump sum - or monthly via bank withdrawal.

Fran

8 hours ago, franski said:

Hi - Not sure if you qualify to purchase, but we have travel insurance through Medoc - via Johnson Insurance.  I qualify as I am considered a "friend of healthcare" (retired nurse).   My friend has it as her husband retired from Toronto Hydro.  It is an annual package - either 17 or 35 days. There are 3 levels of coverage - based on your risk.  It covers trip interruptions or cancellations, out of country medical, lost luggage etc.  You just have to be back in Canada for 24 hours for it to restart.  The trip cancellation amount is fairly substantial... $8k/pp/per trip.   You can pay in 1 lump sum - or monthly via bank withdrawal.

Fran

Thanks Fran - I am going to look into this.

Why do you mention that we may not qualify?

My husband works for a division that separated from Ontario Hydro, so wonder if that qualifies us?

The 8K is better than Blue Cross Annual which is only 5K.  Cruises that we do are rarely 5K or under per person....

On 2/3/2024 at 6:01 AM, CDNPolar said:

Thanks Fran - I am going to look into this.

Why do you mention that we may not qualify?

My husband works for a division that separated from Ontario Hydro, so wonder if that qualifies us?

The 8K is better than Blue Cross Annual which is only 5K.  Cruises that we do are rarely 5K or under per person....

He might qualify...   Call to ask. 

The general public cannot purchase this plan.  I called (after hearing about the plan from a friend) and talked with a lovely woman at Medoc.  Johnson Insurance is available through the RNAO and ONA (Nursing Union) but I had retired when I called.  Luckily for me, they have a category called "Friends of Healthcare", and because I have friends (also nurses) who are still working, I was able to get insurance with them.

The big thing is the fact that pre-existing conditions do not automatically disqualify you.  My husband is diabetic with a history of high blood pressure - but he still qualified.  We pay a bit more for his premium, but he is still covered. We had the 35 day plan for a couple of years, but moved back to the 17 day plan this year (coverage is Sept 1 to Aug 31) as our planned trips (so far) are under that length.  But, I can always bump it up if needed. 

A friend who now travels with Medoc broke her foot while in Thailand last year - and she said that Medoc was quite easy to deal with.

Fran

Fran  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, franski said:

He might qualify...   Call to ask. 

The general public cannot purchase this plan.  I called (after hearing about the plan from a friend) and talked with a lovely woman at Medoc.  Johnson Insurance is available through the RNAO and ONA (Nursing Union) but I had retired when I called.  Luckily for me, they have a category called "Friends of Healthcare", and because I have friends (also nurses) who are still working, I was able to get insurance with them.

The big thing is the fact that pre-existing conditions do not automatically disqualify you.  My husband is diabetic with a history of high blood pressure - but he still qualified.  We pay a bit more for his premium, but he is still covered. We had the 35 day plan for a couple of years, but moved back to the 17 day plan this year (coverage is Sept 1 to Aug 31) as our planned trips (so far) are under that length.  But, I can always bump it up if needed. 

A friend who now travels with Medoc broke her foot while in Thailand last year - and she said that Medoc was quite easy to deal with.

Fran

Fran  

Thank you.