Juneau - Gold Panning and Salmon Bake

Khlela

I'm going to be doing the Gold Panning and Salmon Bake in Juneau on my next cruise. For anyone that has done the gold panning can you say if you had to walk far? I see that it's on uneven terrain and it says "moderate" for activity level but I wanted to check. I appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks

• Like 1

We did just the gold panning part in 2022. It is about a 20 minute drive to Gold Creek; ours was in a mini-bus. The driver parks in a dirt/gravel area and you have a short walk down to the creek. Just dirt, grass, gravel. Nothing major to walk through. The actual panning is creek-side and will be muddy. 

image.png.b90dfff3be8f0ff48eebf5a6612af3a7.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

We did just the gold panning part in 2022. It is about a 20 minute drive to Gold Creek; ours was in a mini-bus. The driver parks in a dirt/gravel area and you have a short walk down to the creek. Just dirt, grass, gravel. Nothing major to walk through. The actual panning is creek-side and will be muddy. 

image.png.b90dfff3be8f0ff48eebf5a6612af3a7.png

I did this in July 2023 and it matched the description and photos. I would say the distance to walk was less than 100 meters (or 100 yards, your choice). Maybe even half that. 

• Like 1

It is a very short walk to the panning stream, it was fun and you are guaranteed to get a few flecks of gold. Wear shoes you don't mind getting messy. The salmon barbeque (cooked over an open wood fire on grates) is very good. We felt it was worth the price, and it is a fond memory for us.

• Like 1

After you are full of Salmon, take a short hike upstream. There are a pair of small waterfalls and some old rusty mining equipment. Easy hike, very scenic, good photo ops.

The ribs are pretty good, too.

• Like 1