Bumped from cruise due to wheelchair accessible stateroom

Hello, we booked a Haven stateroom and got assigned a wheelchair accessible stateroom. All the staterooms in our category are sold out, so we didn't have a choice to switch rooms either. We are not disabled. I understand if someone who needs the room books it, we could get bumped. However, my concern is that we called and they said even if the whole cruise is booked out, if someone with a disability wants our category room, we *could* get bumped from the entire trip AND it is up to Norwegian's discretion on whether we get a refund. This could happen even up to the date of sailing.

I understand it's highly unlikely, and even more likely they wouldn't compensate us, but this is our honeymoon and the cruise is not our only plan. Not being able to go would throw a wrench in our before/after plans and PTO plans. We also don't want to risk 8k+ worth of money to go down the drain. We saved forever for this trip. Any suggestions on what we should do?

• Haha 1

Accessible rooms are made available to those with proven accessibility issues. 

Does the line ask for proof of need? Yes.

Can you get bumped if you are without need, yes.

Check Terms of Carriage and ask your Travel Agent

29 minutes ago, newtocruzing said:

Hello, we booked a Haven stateroom and got assigned a wheelchair accessible stateroom. All the staterooms in our category are sold out, so we didn't have a choice to switch rooms either. We are not disabled. I understand if someone who needs the room books it, we could get bumped. However, my concern is that we called and they said even if the whole cruise is booked out, if someone with a disability wants our category room, we *could* get bumped from the entire trip AND it is up to Norwegian's discretion on whether we get a refund. This could happen even up to the date of sailing.

I understand it's highly unlikely, and even more likely they wouldn't compensate us, but this is our honeymoon and the cruise is not our only plan. Not being able to go would throw a wrench in our before/after plans and PTO plans. We also don't want to risk 8k+ worth of money to go down the drain. We saved forever for this trip. Any suggestions on what we should do?

Could you get bumped? Sure

Will you get bumped? Probably not. Never. Won’t happen. Should give it another thought. 

You repeated made a point to say “in our category” which would indicate that there are other Haven rooms, but you picked the ADA room to save money. So,,, you have gambled with your honeymoon. 

Hope all works out well for you. 

Note: you get a roll in shower with a wand that gets water all over the bathroom if you are not very careful. Versus an enclosed rainfall shower. And the door is auto open/close. Depending on the bed placement, Anyone in bed is exposed to the open hallway for a minute or two every time the door is opened. 

Edited by BirdTravels

26 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You repeated made a point to say “in our category” which would indicate that there are other Haven rooms, but you picked the ADA room to save money. So,,, you have gambled with your honeymoon. 

There were options for the owner's suite and family rooms. Which at least would be an additional 2k for extra room we don't need. So yes, we chose a cheaper stateroom, but no, we didn't know we got the ADA room until after.

27 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Who assigned the accessible stateroom?

We chose the stateroom we wanted. We tried to look at other rooms but it didn't allow us to. We thought the site was bugged or it was the last room. We still didn't even know it was an ADA room until after.

1 hour ago, newtocruzing said:

We chose the stateroom we wanted. We tried to look at other rooms but it didn't allow us to. We thought the site was bugged or it was the last room. We still didn't even know it was an ADA room until after.

Did you book it yourself online directly on the NCL site?  You would need to check the accessible stateroom box to even see the accessible rooms.  It will give you a warning that if you do not have a disability, you will be moved.  You need to confirm that you have a disability.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

You would need to check the accessible stateroom box to even see the accessible rooms.

This is my understanding as well. I think we're missing some information here.

You need to disabled to choose an ADA cabin. If you aren't, you can, and should, get bumped for someone who is.

• Like 2

We don't know your financial situation, however you expressed that you don't want to lose $8K. It seems like insurance would be a great option/plan to have in place in case the cruise line doesn't give you a refund. But, I would be surprised if they didn't give you at least a future cruise credit.

Depending how far away your cruise is, I would keep checking to see if any other cabins in the same category become available.  If a non-handicapped cabin becomes available or if one of the other available cabins have a price drop then I would switch my cabin just for peace of mind.

Good luck.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, newtocruzing said:

NCL does not allow you to pick an ADA room without declaring that you are disabled. So, as far as the cruise line know, you are disabled. 

10 hours ago, OBSESSIVEWORLDTRAVELER said:

We don't know your financial situation, however you expressed that you don't want to lose $8K. It seems like insurance would be a great option/plan to have in place in case the cruise line doesn't give you a refund. But, I would be surprised if they didn't give you at least a future cruise credit.

Not sure if an insurance company would pay if the reason as “cancelled due to misrepresentation of being disabled”. 

I’ve seen many posts of people without disabilities getting these cabins. NCL holds them back but closer to the cruise they open them up to everyone since they don’t like to sail with empty cabins. I’ve never heard of anyone being bumped from the cruise due to someone needing that cabin, in the worst case they are moved. I don’t know why folks are putting the blame on the OP, NCL booked them in an accessible cabin knowing they aren’t disabled.

• Like 4

NCL has assigned me a ADA room when I booked online in the past. And they have to tell you that you can get kicked out. But this is not going to happen. They assigned you the room they are not going to kick you out. On top of this your room is not going to be online available to book. If someone is looking for a cruise and there are no haven rooms available are they going to call and see if they can kick someone out of there room so they can have it I would say no.

5 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I’ve seen many posts of people without disabilities getting these cabins. NCL holds them back but closer to the cruise they open them up to everyone since they don’t like to sail with empty cabins

I agree and if that is what happened, I don't have a problem with someone selecting (knowingly or unknowingly) an accessible stateroom. 

What many people have a problem with is when people who don't need an accessible stateroom select one months or even years in advance. The people who actually need one are locked out because those limited staterooms are already booked. 

Based on what the OP posted, they selected the stateroom without knowing that it was accessible. Now, the OP is worried about getting kicked out. I doubt that it will happen but it is possible. 

9 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

And they have to tell you that you can get kicked out. But this is not going to happen.

It probably won't happen but it could happen. 

9 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

They assigned you the room they are not going to kick you out.

According to the OP, the OP selected the stateroom. If NCL opened it up to anyone, the OP did nothing wrong BUT the possibility of getting removed is still there. 

11 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

On top of this your room is not going to be online available to book.

Again, if the OP is close to sail date, it is unlikely that someone who needs that stateroom is going to try to book. If the cruise is a year from now, someone who needs that stateroom will be wrongly excluded. 

Generally, someone getting an empty accessible stateroom when the cruise is days or a few weeks away isn't a problem. It's the people who intentionally book a wheelchair accessible stateroom just for the extra space at a lower price who are the problem. 

I once (accidentally) booked a wheelchair accessible stateroom. That's what I get for booking a stateroom on a new class of ship years before it is built. The deck plans weren't correctly labeled. Once I found out that my stateroom was wheelchair accessible, I moved one room over. 

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Not sure if an insurance company would pay if the reason as “cancelled due to misrepresentation of being disabled”. 

True. I can't imagine an Insurance company paying out due to purposely misrepresenting facts/committing fraud, but absent of that, some sort of insurance should provide some relief. But by default I buy Cancel for Any Reason Insurance in case I made an honest mistake in the hopes of getting reimbursed. 

17 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I agree and if that is what happened, I don't have a problem with someone selecting (knowingly or unknowingly) an accessible stateroom. 

What many people have a problem with is when people who don't need an accessible stateroom select one months or even years in advance. The people who actually need one are locked out because those limited staterooms are already booked. 

Based on what the OP posted, they selected the stateroom without knowing that it was accessible. Now, the OP is worried about getting kicked out. I doubt that it will happen but it is possible. 

According to the OP, the OP selected the stateroom. If NCL opened it up to anyone, the OP did nothing wrong BUT the possibility of getting removed is still there. 

Again, if the OP is close to sail date, it is unlikely that someone who needs that stateroom is going to try to book. If the cruise is a year from now, someone who needs that stateroom will be wrongly excluded. 

Generally, someone getting an empty accessible stateroom when the cruise is days or a few weeks away isn't a problem. It's the people who intentionally book a wheelchair accessible stateroom just for the extra space at a lower price who are the problem. 

I once (accidentally) booked a wheelchair accessible stateroom. That's what I get for booking a stateroom on a new class of ship years before it is built. The deck plans weren't correctly labeled. Once I found out that my stateroom was wheelchair accessible, I moved one room over. 

I hope the OP comes back and clarifies, it says they were assigned the cabin. I assumed NCL put them in it and it’s close to sailing.

Confused.

OP said they chose the room-- and the other non accessible rooms were more money

AND says they were "assigned" the room.

I thought the cruise lines required you checked a box saying you needed the accessible room--and had to prove it. Provide state approved HC status

no?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Yea when it happed to me I said are there any other rooms I did not want a disability room for obvious reasons like not being disabled. And when I booked it would not allow me to choose my own room. That is why I called asking to move me and there were no other rooms. 

35 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I hope the OP comes back and clarifies, it says they were assigned the cabin. I assumed NCL put them in it and it’s close to sailing.

I asked for clarification (post #5) and the OP stated that they selected the stateroom (post #7) so we are guessing that the others were already booked and (maybe?) NCL opened it up to anyone. 

22 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Confused.

OP said they chose the room-- and the other non accessible rooms were more money

AND says they were "assigned" the room.

I agree. There are some missing details so we're giving different possible scenarios as to what might have happened. We won't fully know if the OP doesn't come back. I hope that the OP doesn't feel as if we were on attack mode if the OP did nothing wrong. 

6 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I don’t know why folks are putting the blame on the OP, NCL booked them in an accessible cabin knowing they aren’t disabled.

Can you find a previous post from the OP that makes this statement correct?

25 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Can you find a previous post from the OP that makes this statement correct?

I was basing it on the fact that ncl assigned the cabin, the OP wanted to switch to a non-handicapped cabin in the same category but none were available.