The Antarctic in October - How early is too early?

RyanJCanada

If this topic seems familiar, it's because we already asked about it a few months back. However, we've just gotten notice that Silversea has shifted our cruise up by a full 10 days. This means that we would be departing from Buenos Aires on October 5th 2025, as opposed to October 15th.

Other timings would be as follows:

Falkland Islands - Oct 9th and 10th

South Georgia - Oct 12th to 15th

Elephant Island - Oct 17th

Antarctic Peninsula - Oct 19th to 22nd

S. Shetland Islands - Oct 23rd

It's only 10 days, but is that enough to change the calculus on this? Or are we just being silly?

If this is significant - has anyone had any luck getting Silversea to offer further discounts or discount other cruises after they've made this kind of significant change? The rates have all gone up since we've booked, so it's unfortunately no longer an apples-to-apples comparison.

Thanks in advance...

Depends on your goals.  When I went wildlife was a primary goal, so this would way too early for that.  That prime season from mid Dec- late Jan.  Super early season like this will offer pristine landscapes, snow and ice.  So much in past years some ports were unreachable or not safe.

edited: sorry I didn’t answer your direct question, as you likely already knew that.  Not sure 10 days will make a hugh difference,  

Edited by Tex1

Well our recent Silversea experience was that they divided our back to back cruises and put 6 days in Doha in between them the offered us 155 saving on the first cruise and $US500 each for continuing on the second leg. Or you could instead of those offers get 10% off another cruise of your choice.

So going by their form you should get some compensation. I would certainly put it to Silversea that you would prefer a later cruise.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, drron29 said:

Well our recent Silversea experience was that they divided our back to back cruises and put 6 days in Doha in between them the offered us 155 saving on the first cruise and $US500 each for continuing on the second leg. Or you could instead of those offers get 10% off another cruise of your choice.

So going by their form you should get some compensation. I would certainly put it to Silversea that you would prefer a later cruise.

This is very helpful, thank you! I’ve reached out to our contact at Silversea… we’ll see what they’re able to offer.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 11:13 PM, drron29 said:

@drron29 Our travel agent spoke to Silversea, and they are unfortunately not offering any discounts or compensation of any kind. Any suggestions as to next steps, or who else we might be able to raise this with?

As one person already said, you will not see a lot of the wildlife going that early.  The penguins won't have even laid their eggs yet.  We departed mid-December and arrived in Antarctica late December.  Most all of the eggs had hatched so you could see the chicks.  You will still certainly see penguins but just not the eggs and chicks if that was what you were hoping for.  

• Like 1

Hi RyanJCanada:

Earlier might be better for the Falklands, South Georgia and Elephant Island, but probably not Antarctica itself. 

In 2019, we were at Waterboat Point on December 9th and the Gentoo's were all sitting on their eggs (and stealing pebbles from each other).  Three days later in Yankee Harbor, we got to see one-day-old Gentoo chicks.  Orcas were also very active then as we saw at least 40 in just one location.  When we go back, it would not very likely be in October or November.  10 days earlier at that time of year is not a plus.

For what it's worth, we got to kayak at Elephant Island on December 13th and go ashore in the Falklands on December 15th, but they told us we were quite lucky to accomplish either of these as weather is the controlling factor.

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2024 at 4:39 AM, RyanJCanada said:

@drron29 Our travel agent spoke to Silversea, and they are unfortunately not offering any discounts or compensation of any kind. Any suggestions as to next steps, or who else we might be able to raise this with?

Very disappointing. Do you have a Non SS travel agent? sometimes they get a better result even if it is only some OBC to keep you quiet.

• Thanks 1

There in December (on the Wind also).  We had good weather in Falklands and S Georgia (And Antarctica).  Chicks were hatching, fur seals giving birth.  I would not want to go before December if wildlife is a goal, and as someone said there is likely to be snow and ice there as well, and I would suspect the seas are still a little more unfriendly.

A .jpg

• Like 1

Thank you all for continuing to weigh in - now seriously looking at the 40 day Cape-to-Cape cruise, which would finish up in Antarctica on March 8th. So I suppose the question becomes, "How late is too late?"

@drron29 Appreciate your thoughts on asking for some extra OBC. Hoping we can still work a bit more of a deal. I'll let you know how it shakes out.

We did the Cape to Cape on the Explorer in 2017. began in Ushuaia and went to the Falklands and South Georgia but not Antarctica. The wildlife in South Georgia was fantastic.

4 hours ago, RyanJCanada said:

Thank you all for continuing to weigh in - now seriously looking at the 40 day Cape-to-Cape cruise, which would finish up in Antarctica on March 8th. So I suppose the question becomes, "How late is too late?"

@drron29 Appreciate your thoughts on asking for some extra OBC. Hoping we can still work a bit more of a deal. I'll let you know how it shakes out.

Ryan, can you post details about this 40 day cruise?  The 40 day cruise on the Wind is Feb 22 - April 3, it is a back-to-back cruise that does Falklands, South Georgia, then Antarctica, back to Puerto Williams on March 12, then departs from Puerto Williams doing the same itin with the Falklands and S Georgia but this time not going to Antarctica.   It departs S Georgia and heads to Cape Town and finally ends in Cape Town, South Africa on April 3, 2025.

I was there the end of October on Hurtigruten several years ago and it was too early in my opinion.  Falklands and South Georgia were fine but Antarctica still had lots of snow so most penguin colonies were still high on the hills where there wasn't as much.  We skipped a couple of planned sites due to heavy ice, (although that can happen any time).  Having been a couple of times before in late February and early March I thought those trips were much better.  Young penguins were still being fed then, some were finishing their molt and there was lots of activity between the colonies and the sea.   Also saw more seals, sea lions and whales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, drron29 said:

We did the Cape to Cape on the Explorer in 2017. began in Ushuaia and went to the Falklands and South Georgia but not Antarctica. The wildlife in South Georgia was fantastic.

I seem to recall that being the first of your trip reports that I read. I'll have to go back and read through it again - feels like I have a completely different perspective now that we've done expedition cruises of our own.

Very glad to hear that this will be a good time to see wildlife in S. Georgia, as that's what we've decided to make the focus of this trip. Looking at available cruises, there are plenty that stop in at Antarctica but very few that visit S. Georgia and Falklands so hopeful that we'll be able to head down to Antarctica again with the kids if we elect to do so. (Already having to limit future holidays so as not to unduly interfere with our son's time in high school.)

Fingers crossed that the current bird flu situation has improved by Spring 2025...

15 hours ago, bohaiboy said:

Ryan, can you post details about this 40 day cruise?  The 40 day cruise on the Wind is Feb 22 - April 3, it is a back-to-back cruise that does Falklands, South Georgia, then Antarctica, back to Puerto Williams on March 12, then departs from Puerto Williams doing the same itin with the Falklands and S Georgia but this time not going to Antarctica.   It departs S Georgia and heads to Cape Town and finally ends in Cape Town, South Africa on April 3, 2025.

Absolutely, that's the cruise to which we're referring: Cruise from Puerto Williams to Cape Town - WI250222C40 | Silversea

The last day on the Antarctic peninsula for that cruise will be March 8th, but from what I've heard it sounds like that will still be a reasonable time to be in the Antarctic.

We're still very curious as to whether Silversea will be announcing a similar cruise for 2026, but it looks like they will be stretching the season slightly later that year - Cruise from Puerto Williams to Puerto Williams - WI260304012 | Silversea - with their last day on the Antarctic peninsula being on March 12th.

Also interesting to note that the 2026 cruise includes a day "South of the Polar Circle", and seems to be the only Silversea cruise to do so.

2 hours ago, Woofbite said:

I was there the end of October on Hurtigruten several years ago and it was too early in my opinion.  Falklands and South Georgia were fine but Antarctica still had lots of snow so most penguin colonies were still high on the hills where there wasn't as much.  We skipped a couple of planned sites due to heavy ice, (although that can happen any time).  Having been a couple of times before in late February and early March I thought those trips were much better.  Young penguins were still being fed then, some were finishing their molt and there was lots of activity between the colonies and the sea.   Also saw more seals, sea lions and whales.

This is very helpful, thank you so much - our research was showing the same, but it's hugely helpful to hear from someone who has experienced both times of the year!

17 minutes ago, RyanJCanada said:

I seem to recall that being the first of your trip reports that I read. I'll have to go back and read through it again - feels like I have a completely different perspective now that we've done expedition cruises of our own.

Very glad to hear that this will be a good time to see wildlife in S. Georgia, as that's what we've decided to make the focus of this trip. Looking at available cruises, there are plenty that stop in at Antarctica but very few that visit S. Georgia and Falklands so hopeful that we'll be able to head down to Antarctica again with the kids if we elect to do so. (Already having to limit future holidays so as not to unduly interfere with our son's time in high school.)

Fingers crossed that the current bird flu situation has improved by Spring 2025...

Headed out tomorrow for Antarctica followed by Cape to Cape on Cloud.  I havent decided if I'll do a live, but perhaps occasional reports. Do you think there's interest?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Headed out tomorrow for Antarctica followed by Cape to Cape on Cloud.  I havent decided if I'll do a live, but perhaps occasional reports. Do you think there's interest?

I'd certainly be very interested! Understand that a live report is a lot, but occasional updates would be great. We're particularly curious as to the severity of the Drake passage, ice conditions, the amount and stage of wildlife, and the condition of the landing sites. Tall orders, I realize, but anything you can post would be wonderful. Hope you have a great trip!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RyanJCanada said:

I'd certainly be very interested! Understand that a live report is a lot, but occasional updates would be great. We're particularly curious as to the severity of the Drake passage, ice conditions, the amount and stage of wildlife, and the condition of the landing sites. Tall orders, I realize, but anything you can post would be wonderful. Hope you have a great trip!

At your service RJ. You've done some great reports.  Our first trip to Antarctica and South Georgia was in Dec/Jan in 2018. Will be interesting to compare.  We've got 5 days in South Georgia, the reason I booked this itinary.  Hoping to get a few landings.  Gritviken looks open, but many of the major ones will be zodiac cruise only. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Lucky dog! Yes!

• Like 2

Slightly off topic, but wish I had known

Did Silver Endeavour Antarctica Bridge last month

Don't waste space for mudroom slippers. It is dry.

The ship and your room are a very comfortable temp - no need for extra indoor layers

Don't drink the water in Punta Arenas or eat salads

Antarctica will knock your socks off - Pictures don't do it justice

Great trip, Great ship, Wonderful crew.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

You bet!  Those who wanna go will appreciate anything you say as well as those of us who've been who know we didn't see it all and have an excuse to return, (three time visitor headed for four in 2025).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We may have a new complication for future Antarctic cruises:

Iran has recently made a surprising announcement, declaring its ownership of Antarctica and directly challenging the international treaty that governs the continent. In a letter to the United Nations Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, Iran’s Foreign Ministry informed him of Tehran’s claim to the territory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Woofbite said:

We may have a new complication for future Antarctic cruises:

Iran has recently made a surprising announcement, declaring its ownership of Antarctica and directly challenging the international treaty that governs the continent. In a letter to the United Nations Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, Iran’s Foreign Ministry informed him of Tehran’s claim to the territory.

At first I thought this might be a story out of The Onion.  Silly me.

• Haha 2