Some questions about Britannia

I have some fairly mundane questions but if you could help, that would be great. Have booked Britannia 7 night Norwegian Fjords for June 21, and it’s my first time on P&O UK

1. is Tea and coffee available free in the buffet?

2. I have heard that supplies of milk, tea and coffee in the cabin can be somewhat frugal. Would I be able to bring a carton of milk and my own tea and coffee on board?

3. when I booked with P and O, I asked about gratuities, and was told that they aren’t required, which surprised me. It may be because I booked in Australia, where there are laws about compulsory gratuities. What do most people tip for cabin staff, drinks service, and waitstaff?

thanks in advance….

Welcome. Tea & Coffee is free in the buffet you can grab extra sugar, milk etc if needs be as well or just ask the cabin steward they will supply you more. You can bring your own stock onboard. Not sure how good the fridges are on Britannia. Tips wise personal preference.

• Like 1

I did fjords on Britannia last year and loved it. I seem to remember fridge was cold enough to chill drinks so would keep fresh milk cold. If you bought some on departure day with long sell by date will last a few days.I have done it in the past but don’t think it lasted whole week. Take a small pair of scissors if you are allowed to use for opening up the UHT milk sachets they provide in the cabin. I always do. Tips is up to you. Very contentious. Some do tip cabin steward and waiters if have had fixed dining, others don’t. Just do whatever you feel comfortable with. 

Edited by Winifred 22
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Flash harriet said:

I have some fairly mundane questions but if you could help, that would be great. Have booked Britannia 7 night Norwegian Fjords for June 21, and it’s my first time on P&O UK

2. I have heard that supplies of milk, tea and coffee in the cabin can be somewhat frugal. Would I be able to bring a carton of milk and my own tea and coffee on board?

3. when I booked with P and O, I asked about gratuities, and was told that they aren’t required, which surprised me. It may be because I booked in Australia, where there are laws about compulsory gratuities. What do most people tip for cabin staff, drinks service, and waitstaff?

thanks in advance….

Yes

We just get extra milk, tea and coffee from the buffet and take to the cabin, but yes you could also bring your own.

Tips are also included with P&O in the UK but some do give a small extra tip at the end of the cruise to their cabin steward and waiters if on fixed dining.

• Like 4

Welcome. 

Your questions have been answered, but I will just add that tips are included, not worded as optional, so there is absolutely no need to tip if you don't want to. 

We tip for good service from anyone who we feel enhances our experience, but no longer feel obliged to. 

Have a great cruise. 

Andy 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

that tips are included

The OP is from Australia where tips are not normally included so in respect of tipping it is unclear. Has the OP booked via the UK in which case tips are included or booked via Australia where they probably are not included?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Regardless of where the OP has booked, she is on a ship that is part of the UK based fleet; therefore gratuities are included.

It is totally relevant as to where the OP booked because different countries have different terms even for the same cruise and it is irrelevant where the fleet is based.

1 hour ago, david63 said:

The OP is from Australia where tips are not normally included so in respect of tipping it is unclear. Has the OP booked via the UK in which case tips are included or booked via Australia where they probably are not included?

I think you are over thinking the issue, I am not aware that anyone on a P&O cruise will have any gratuities added to their final bill, nor do I think that any passengers will be expected to give tips to stewards or waiters.

As far as I am concerned gratuities are not expected, but if you feel someone has performed above and beyond the norm, you are free to give them something in recognition.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, david63 said:

It is totally relevant as to where the OP booked because different countries have different terms even for the same cruise and it is irrelevant where the fleet is based.

I beg to differ.

The sterling cost of the cruise will be same for whether it is purchased in the UK or elsewhere, and that price will have the gratuities built in to it.

Are you suggesting that P&O will then add extra costs for overseas guests, £12 per guest per night for example, to cover the costs of gratuities because they are used to paying that with other lines?

1 hour ago, TigerB said:

The sterling cost of the cruise will be same for whether it is purchased in the UK or elsewhere, and that price will have the gratuities built in to it.

That is not necessarily so. In Australia, for example, the cost of the cruise could be less than the same cruise in the UK because it does not have the gratuities included. My understanding is that it is not allowed to include gratuities in the price of anything in Australia.

1 hour ago, TigerB said:

Are you suggesting that P&O will then add extra costs for overseas guests, £12 per guest per night for example, to cover the costs of gratuities because they are used to paying that with other lines?

No I am not suggesting that at all - it is up to the individual passenger as to whether they give a gratuity or not.

4 hours ago, david63 said:

That is not necessarily so. In Australia, for example, the cost of the cruise could be less than the same cruise in the UK because it does not have the gratuities included. My understanding is that it is not allowed to include gratuities in the price of anything in Australia.

No I am not suggesting that at all - it is up to the individual passenger as to whether they give a gratuity or not.

Do you know for certain that the P&O price for a  cruise booked in OZ is less that one booked in the UK.?

Even if OZ rules do not permit grats to be included, the fact that the exchange rate varies will surely be enough to mask the real sterling price.

• Like 1

Tips are INCLUDED in the cost of the cruise.

You are free to give EXTRA tips to particular staff if you want to.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. 

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Do you know for certain that the P&O price for a  cruise booked in OZ is less that one booked in the UK.?

Even if OZ rules do not permit grats to be included, the fact that the exchange rate varies will surely be enough to mask the real sterling price.

That was the point I made in post #6

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

I always thought all P &O cruises had to be booked via U K agents anyway. 

Not sure about that other than you cannot book direct with P&O from the States.

4 hours ago, david63 said:

That was the point I made in post #6

You've confused me now!  Reading back on the comments, the point you were trying to make in post #6 doesn't match what @terrierjohn has written in post #12.

@Flash harriet, I am afraid this thread has gone the way of so many others, where the original questions have been answered, by post #5 in this case, but folk offer an opinion about something that does not answer any of the original questions, and about which they are not an expert or do not have first hand knowledge of, and then someone else offers a counter opinion, again that does not answer any of the original questions, and about something which they are not an expert or do not have first hand knowledge of, and I count myself in that number, and you end up with a thread that just becomes a boring game of opinion and counter opinion tennis.  The Maleth Aero thread is a prime example.

Just to underline this thread, Flash harriet...

You have confirmed in your original post that you were told at the point of booking that gratuities are included. That is true!  So, you don't have to worry about that once onboard. As others have written, it is totally up to you as to whether you wish to give additional tips to staff from whom you have received exceptional service.

Your other questions have already been answered. But just to add, to save you having to go on a tea bag raid at the buffet, just ask your cabin steward for extra supplies; it's no bother for them.

Enjoy your planning, the Norwegian Fjords are beautiful.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Britannia?
Back to the coffee questions. Can you get coffee somewhere on the ship at 6:00 am? Making it in the early morning in the room will be noisy to the others.  So not to sound too bitchy at the price of the cruise it would seem the convenience of an early coffee station would be standard. Maybe room service at 5:00am would be the answer!😇

6 hours ago, queeniemi said:

Britannia?
Back to the coffee questions. Can you get coffee somewhere on the ship at 6:00 am? Making it in the early morning in the room will be noisy to the others.  So not to sound too bitchy at the price of the cruise it would seem the convenience of an early coffee station would be standard. Maybe room service at 5:00am would be the answer!😇

Coffee/tea/fruit tea is available 24/7 in all P&O buffets as far as I'm aware.

• Like 2

Another tip is that if you want to get some fresh milk for your room, order cereal on the room service breakfast and you get a nice jug of milk you can keep in the fridge for a couple of days.

You could also use one of the water cups and fill it with the milk next to the tea station but you might not be popular with your fellow cruisers.

Yes we bring a glass full down from the buffet - I don’t know why it would bother other cruisers though? 

I have also asked the cabin steward or waiter at dinner before and been given a full carton!

2 hours ago, Thedonkeycentrehalf said:

Another tip is that if you want to get some fresh milk for your room, order cereal on the room service breakfast and you get a nice jug of milk you can keep in the fridge for a couple of days.

You could also use one of the water cups and fill it with the milk next to the tea station but you might not be popular with your fellow cruisers.

Just ring room service and ask for a carton of milk and then keep it in the'fridge

On 2/3/2024 at 3:54 AM, Flash harriet said:

You can take your own tea and coffee if you prefer but there is plenty supplied (I'm a hugh tea drinker). I ask for extra from the cabin steward but if on the odd occasion I still want more, I just get them from the buffet.

However I don't think you will be allowed to take milk onboard. 

8 hours ago, emam said:

You can take your own tea and coffee if you prefer but there is plenty supplied (I'm a hugh tea drinker). I ask for extra from the cabin steward but if on the odd occasion I still want more, I just get them from the buffet.

However I don't think you will be allowed to take milk onboard. 

I always take milk on, Cravendale can last for 3 weeks or more if dated. I do this to avoid the phaff of the small sachets.