Cell phone needed?

whynotme

3 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Yeah, as usual, the thread goes sideways.

The answer in 2024 is, what are you talking about? No smartphone? What does that even mean?

It means that not everyone is the same.  Believe it or not there are still people who do not have or want a TV.  Does that mean if you have a TV you are better?  Just maybe not having a TV means those people spend their time doing much more interesting things than sitting on a couch staring at a screen.

I have a phone and I like a lot of what it brings....BUT  i go out of my way not to turn into some kind of zombie that can't help but to check it every thirty seconds while ignoring people talking with me those who are walking down the street bumping into people as they check what is happening on tik tok.  The problem is not the phones but the addiction to the phone.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IAcruising said:

Whatever. Have fun on a modern cruise ship,

I have a phone and am just fine with it's features and advantages but do not criticize those who choose otherwise...but as you say  "whatever".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dockman said:

I have a phone and am just fine with it's features and advantages but do not criticize those who choose otherwise...but as you say  "whatever".

And, your point?

17 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

And, your point?

Point is everybody is different and some people for whatever reason don't want or don't have smart phones and nothing wrong with asking how to navigate a cruise without one on a cruise forum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While I agree with those who marvel at the fact that anyone can function in 2024 without a smart phone, the OP isn't asking our opinion about their choice not to have one, only about whether they will be able to get along without one specifically while cruising... and of course, as many have already said, they can.  As for shore excursions, several times last year at our shore excursion meetup point they were asking for names, even when people were showing them their tickets on their phones, they always had a list of names AND they can always just scan your ROOM KEY CARD and see that you are paid on that excursion.  So it's not necessary to have a phone, or any other kind of excursion ticket - just your room key, which you will have anyway.  Does this mean I think it's a great idea to travel without a phone? Oh my no. But again, not the question. 

Edited by Moriah
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, IAcruising said:

The answer in 2024 is, what are you talking about? No smartphone? What does that even mean?

It means some people live lives that are very different from yours. Perhaps someday you will understand. 

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The situation with overcharges on HAL, goes back a very long time (perhaps more than a decade).  The issue, for us, is not as much about an accounting error but the fact (and it is a fact) that multiple errors (often for similar reasons) can occur again and again and again.  Calling it to the attention of Guest Services simply gets a message sent to the appropriate department (i.e. beverage, PG, etc) and eventually it does get fixed.  But each and every overcharge becomes a separate issue.  In our case, there the first few times the Guest Services folks would follow up with a courtesy phone call saying the overcharge and been corrected.  But after it happened (many times) Guest Services stopped calling or even acknowledging our messages, but simply corrected the overcharge.  After several weeks I mentioned to Guest Services that perhaps we could "help" by meeting with the Hotel/General Manager...but as you can imagine despite 3 requests for a meeting none were even acknowledged.  

Why?  They obviously have a serious accounting issue onboard HAL ships, are well aware there is a problem. and simply refuse to discuss it with customers (even those of us who are 5*).  They fix the errors that are caught by the passengers, and likely keep all the overage from the many errors not noticed by passengers.  Others (not me) have actually speculated that the errors seem to be deliberate and could generate a lot of extra revenue when one considers the number of passengers and ships.  We are not that cynical...but one must admit that problems that exist over many years, and are not corrected, could be construed as deliberate malfeasance.  I would imagine if the accounting errors were in favor of the passenger the company would move heaven, earth, and the sea to fix the internal problem.  Our most common overcharge was for drinks that were slightly in excess of the drink package.  So, for example, a Cosmopolitan costs $1 over the Signature Beverage Package limit and should be charged $1.18.  But, in many cases the entire drink charge (not just the overage) would be charged to the account.  Day after day...even after it was pointed out to the bar tenders, bar manager, Guest Services, etc.  The other issue has to do with free meals in the alternative restaurant (such as for 4-5* or HIA) that somehow get charged at the full price (when it should be zero).

Hank

Hi Hank....I'm not understanding the free meal overcharges.  Would that be like being charged for a Pinnacle restaurant reservation that you used your onboard credit for? Or is it some other charge?

Your drinks information is very helpful--thank you.  Carol

16 minutes ago, nickysmom said:

Hi Hank....I'm not understanding the free meal overcharges.  Would that be like being charged for a Pinnacle restaurant reservation that you used your onboard credit for? Or is it some other charge?

Your drinks information is very helpful--thank you.  Carol

It’s like being charged for a free PG meal (5* gets u 2 free per cruise) or a 4* not getting their discount.  A long standing problem which is only fixed when one points out the error. 

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

It’s like being charged for a free PG meal (5* gets u 2 free per cruise) or a 4* not getting their discount.  A long standing problem which is only fixed when one points out the error. 

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

OP here.  Thank you for all the helpful tips and interesting comments.   We  are officially approaching antique, but do recognize the invention of wireless and electric light.   We will be bringing our cell phone and a tablet.     Muddling through,     Sheila andRoss

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, whynotme said:

We will be bringing our cell phone and a tablet.

Once onboard, you can connect to the Navigator on your tablet if you don't want to use your cell phone. I use a small laptop rather than a smartphone when on a HAL ship.

1 hour ago, whynotme said:

OP here.  Thank you for all the helpful tips and interesting comments.   We  are officially approaching antique, but do recognize the invention of wireless and electric light.   We will be bringing our cell phone and a tablet.     Muddling through,     Sheila andRoss

i am sure you will be just fine...and while many spend their days glued to their cellphones maybe you will be out on deck looking at the scenery or chatting with interesting people while your cell phone sits in your room.  Good for you.

• Like 3