MSC’s Frustrating “New” Cancellation Policy

amygutman

Apologies if this has been posted already but did a quick Board search and hadn’t seen this topic. 

Our family are fans of the yacht club so much so that we’ve traveled with many times, with 3 new potential trips planned over the next year (we live 45 minutes from Canaveral so quickie long weekend trips are awesome).

Had booked a girls trip for Aug 2026 in Europe that we had to change dates on due to one of my friends starting a new degree program. Our TA (who is not a fan of MSC in general due to their poor customer service with agents),  unfortunately told us that we no longer would be able to get a reimbursement for our deposit, but had to rebook another cruise 90 days from the start date of the first cruise rebooked or we would fully lose our deposit.

We double checked - as of Nov 2023 you can’t rebook before the start date of the cruise, only 90 days after. And this is almost 2 years out! As we mentioned, we love the yacht club, and the flexibility we have being near Canaveral has been wonderful.

But knowing that you can only make one single change, and only 90 days after the original booking definitely impacts our decision to sail MSC again.

I hate to be selfish about this, but we occasionally move our cruises depending on work or school schedules, and have never been denied a refund… Again, emphasizing we are about two years out from a September 2024 sail date. I know some premium lines, for example, Viking, have a no refund policy in place but this is new for the MSC YC as far as we can tell.

I was wondering if anyone else has been affected by this policy? We were able to find a suitable replacement cruise so we didn’t lose our deposit, but the three shorter  YC cruises out of Canaveral we had been planning to book will now go to other cruise lines with less restrictive policies.

Yes, it’s definitely first world problems but very disappointing.

Thoughts? Warmest, Amy

Definitely not that new of a policy. We ran into this early last year as well. I think it's a fair policy that prevents people from effectively having a hold/option on a cabin that they never intend to use, leaving certain cabins and cabin types available for those that do intend to use them.

• Like 6

I believe that policy is only for Yacht Club. Unless something has changed, you get a full refund on non-Yacht Club bookings as long as you cancel prior to the final payment date.

• Like 1

I'd rather have MSC's Yacht Club deposit stipulations instead of NCL's Haven down payment amounts.

For my family of 4, Haven deposits are 10% for each person which is more than double the amount needed for a Yacht Club deposit. NCL's Haven deposit used to be $2,000 for a family of 4 ($750x2 + $250x2) for most Haven suites. The 3BR Garden Villa had an even higher deposit amount. 

On 2 occasions, I booked a Royal Suite on MSC for only $99pp for guests 1&2. Even with $199pp for guests 1&2, it's still much better than NCL. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I'd rather have MSC's Yacht Club deposit stipulations instead of NCL's Haven down payment amounts.

For my family of 4, Haven deposits are 10% for each person which is more than double the amount needed for a Yacht Club deposit. NCL's Haven deposit used to be $2,000 for a family of 4 ($750x2 + $250x2) for most Haven suites. The 3BR Garden Villa had an even higher deposit amount. 

On 2 occasions, I booked a Royal Suite on MSC for only $99pp for guests 1&2. Even with $199pp for guests 1&2, it's still much better than NCL. 

Are Haven deposits refundable?

Appreciate everyone’s replies. Maybe my experiences have been different (or perhaps my TA has snuck under the radar) but we have definitely booked then change dates on at least 2 MSC cruises previously without this 90 day “must go forward” restriction.

In fact, we had to cancel a February 2024 Euribia cruise in July 2023 due to a change in my son’s school testing schedule. Full refund of our deposit was given. 

I agree, NCL Haven pricing and deposits are getting out of control - but at least the refunds are still there. We love the suite within a ship concept and will keep to NCL Haven vs YC (until, inevitably this refund policy changes as well). Gives a good excuse to try other cruise lines’ suites as well - very excited about our RCCL Allure Royal Genie experience coming up in April and trying out Oceana for the first time in 2025. Even giving a Carnival Mardi Gras suite a try for a 2025 TA. 

Our TA is ethical and has become a good friend. Everyone makes mistakes, however, we have used his services for 10 years over multiple cruise lines and he has never misled us knowingly. 

Ah well… here’s to a last minute Carnival weekend cruise (no suite, sigh… but a kick-ass aft wrap-around balcony) to soothe my soul this weekend.

Thank you everyone! 

Warmest, Amy

So I have a different scenario. I have a YC booking for November and I want to move it to October, which is about 30 days backwards. Their website lists this as their policy:

For Bookings with the Fantastica, Aurea or Yacht Club Experience, one departure date change can be made free of charge from the time the Booking penalty period begins, as stated in the above cancellation chart, until 30 days prior to departure. Any subsequent departure date change will result in a fee of $50 per person. The new departure date must be within 90 days of the original departure date. Any change to a date that is more than 90 days from the original departure date is considered a cancellation and is subject to the above cancellation charges.  Any change made less than 30 days prior to departure is considered a cancellation and is subject to the above cancellation charges. 

I don’t see anywhere that it says you can only move it forward, but that’s what they are saying. 

I don't book in the  Yacht Club, but I have known this is the policy for Yacht Club deposits for at least a year.

But then again, I do read the information that cruise lines post on their websites before booking. The MSC Terms and Conditions and Conditions of Carriage is very clear on deposits, cancellations and changes.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, peder said:

Definitely not that new of a policy. We ran into this early last year as well. I think it's a fair policy that prevents people from effectively having a hold/option on a cabin that they never intend to use, leaving certain cabins and cabin types available for those that do intend to use them.

And I'm thinking that since many people hope to get an upgrade to YC there wouldn't be any available to give if these rooms were tied up with bookings that never came to fruition.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jamie7777 said:

And I'm thinking that since many people hope to get an upgrade to YC there wouldn't be any available to give if these rooms were tied up with bookings that never came to fruition.

I totally agree. I know their policy and I’m not disputing the cancellation policy.  I just don’t see where it says you can only move a booking 90 days forward not backward. 

1 hour ago, RosieRoo said:

I totally agree. I know their policy and I’m not disputing the cancellation policy.  I just don’t see where it says you can only move a booking 90 days forward not backward. 

I'm still learning about all the quirks of this cruise line. They need to work on being more visible with their marketing and learn from the customers what they don't like or don't understand.  I don't have any high expectations for this company as I'm not quite the cruising connoisseur.  I hope everyone enjoys their upcoming cruises.  I can't wait for mine in May!😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

My guess is that if the cruise can be changed to an earlier date, the price would be lower since there are often price drops as the cruise line tries to fill the remaining staterooms.

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2024 at 10:49 AM, RosieRoo said:

So I have a different scenario. I have a YC booking for November and I want to move it to October, which is about 30 days backwards. Their website lists this as their policy:

For Bookings with the Fantastica, Aurea or Yacht Club Experience, one departure date change can be made free of charge from the time the Booking penalty period begins, as stated in the above cancellation chart, until 30 days prior to departure. Any subsequent departure date change will result in a fee of $50 per person. The new departure date must be within 90 days of the original departure date. Any change to a date that is more than 90 days from the original departure date is considered a cancellation and is subject to the above cancellation charges.  Any change made less than 30 days prior to departure is considered a cancellation and is subject to the above cancellation charges. 

I don’t see anywhere that it says you can only move it forward, but that’s what they are saying. 

When we checked with our TA and on the phone with customer service, its 90 days after the 1st day of the original cruise booking. 

Was a bummer, as we were very willing to book earlier (and a longer cruise in a Royal suite we found vs the deluxe suite). 

Hope you find a nice substitute!

Warmest, Amy

On 2/5/2024 at 10:55 AM, Homosassa said:

I don't book in the  Yacht Club, but I have known this is the policy for Yacht Club deposits for at least a year.

But then again, I do read the information that cruise lines post on their websites before booking. The MSC Terms and Conditions and Conditions of Carriage is very clear on deposits, cancellations and changes.

I do read these as well, but perhaps got a bit lazy as had never had an issue previously with re-bookings. I'm not blaming the cruise line, it's on me clearly, but it was a surprise that definitely affects my willingness to book again with MSC.

I'm pretty sure they won't miss my money - though I certainly will miss the YC. It's a lovely experience but without flexibility, I just am not comfortable booking. 

Warmest, Amy

On 2/5/2024 at 11:32 AM, RosieRoo said:

Nor did I...I only found out through my TA. 

Perhaps we were just lucky on our prior MSC rebookings. 

I'd love to hear that it's 90 days in either direction - if you can get someone from MSC to get that in writing I think you would have some happy cruisers!

Warmest, Amy

7 minutes ago, amygutman said:

Nor did I...I only found out through my TA. 

Perhaps we were just lucky on our prior MSC rebookings. 

I'd love to hear that it's 90 days in either direction - if you can get someone from MSC to get that in writing I think you would have some happy cruisers!

Warmest, Amy

I couldn’t find anything on their website that said only 90 days forward, but my TA sent me this. I don’t know where this is stated on their website. 

image.thumb.png.584c2ee10b4fe144fe8bdd4177d2d48c.png

Edited by RosieRoo
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2024 at 2:41 PM, amygutman said:

I know some premium lines, for example, Viking, have a no refund policy in place but this is new for the MSC YC as far as we can tell.

Wrong.  Viking will refund your money paid as long as you cancel at least 120 days prior to sailing date.  They only charge $100 cancellation fee per person at that time frame.  Come to think about it, that's lower than MSC's YC cancellation fee which is the deposit of $398.

Now, back to MSC.  This loophole used to work, and I was able to utilize it once in 2022.  Change your current YC booking to another sailing, but book a non-YC cabin.  Once that's confirmed, wait a few days then cancel the new booking.  I was refunded my $398 deposit, originally on a YC booking, in a few weeks.  YMMV.  Good luck!

Edited by Selion
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Selion said:

Now, back to MSC.  This loophole used to work, and I was able to utilize it once in 2022.  Change your current YC booking to another sailing, but book a non-YC cabin.  Once that's confirmed, wait a few days then cancel the new booking.  I was refunded my $398 deposit, originally on a YC booking, in a few weeks.  YMMV.  Good luck!

Interesting work around. I would never have even thought of that. 

21 hours ago, Selion said:

Wrong.  Viking will refund your money paid as long as you cancel at least 120 days prior to sailing date.  They only charge $100 cancellation fee per person at that time frame.  Come to think about it, that's lower than MSC's YC cancellation fee which is the deposit of $398.

That’s…. That’s just beautiful!!!!! 🤣

We tried to move a cruise. 1st date was 1 day past the 90 days and they wouldn't move it. 2nd cruise was 3k less then our original cruise and the MSC said we would have to pay the price of the original cruise. My exact quote on the phone "You are telling me I have to pay $3k more for this cruise because I am moving a cruise than if I just cancelled and rebooked"  we decided to cancel. We may not rebook.  Their customer service on the phone is terrible. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Alynna715 said:

We tried to move a cruise. 1st date was 1 day past the 90 days and they wouldn't move it. 2nd cruise was 3k less then our original cruise and the MSC said we would have to pay the price of the original cruise. My exact quote on the phone "You are telling me I have to pay $3k more for this cruise because I am moving a cruise than if I just cancelled and rebooked"  we decided to cancel. We may not rebook.  Their customer service on the phone is terrible. 

Always....call back and ask the next representative.  Occationally there is one that "actually makes sense".

• Like 2

Agree that MSC’s cancellation policy regarding the Yacht Club is pretty straight forward in that the deposit is non-refundable. I actually appreciate that because it prevents people from depositing and locking up multiple cabins on cruises that they don’t intend to take. 

However, what is clear as mud from their terms and conditions is the “One free change” conditions. I took the “within 90 days” condition to mean that you couldn’t push it out more than 90 days. Not that you couldn’t pull it back in to sail earlier 90 (or, for that matter, more) days. You would think taking your money earlier would be a good thing lol

We just got caught by that. Had a cruise booked for November 2024 and wanted to pull it back to May 2024 to accommodate a January 2025 Explora cruise. Apparently you can’t do that. We did wind up booking the Explora cruise even though vacation time-wise it would have been nicer to space them out.

Weirdly… Explora’s terms and conditions are very clear on the “One Free Change” terms! It’s up to 180 days after OR before your original sailing date. Same parent company but much better clarity on the terms!

Edited to add…. Explora also clearly states how they will handle adjusting the price up or down on the new rescheduled cruise should you make a change.

Edited by SeasideMemories