Land Tours

I am contemplating a pre-cruise land tour in Athens on my upcoming cruise. I was wondering what people’s experience was with Regent Land Tours? Has anyone done them from Athens? If so, please share your thoughts! 

Thank you in advance!

I did the pre-cruise Athens tour in October. 3 days and it was included.

Lots of walking on uneven ground, but covered all the major sites. Usually a full day of touring followed by an evening tour.  I sat out some of them due to a knee problem.

Included meals on the tours were great.

We were at Grand Hyatt, which wasn't our favorite, but the view of the Acropolis at breakfast was spectacular! Restaurant at hotel was very expensive and not that great, but plenty of other places to eat with in walking distance.

Our guide was great!

• Like 1

We have done a couple of the pre-post land tours.  They were good.  They follow the detailed description online..

Our cruise that started in Turkey and ended in Egypt, had a 3 day extension in Cairo and was very interesting as we visited several places around the city.  We had a small bus that took us everywhere and even an evening trip to a jewelry store for a cartouche.

We had both Pre and Post trips on our Cape Town to Cape Town cruise last year. The Pre cruise started in Johannesburg with a flight to Victoria Falls. A stay in the Victoria Falls Inn which was great!! and two days touring.  The post had some good day trips out of Cape Town. 

I will always look for any connected with the cruises I book.

• Like 2

We have done a pre or post cruise tour everytime it was included in the cruise fare.  One time we did both the pre and post cruise tours, one included and one we paid for.  We have had very good success with all of them. I can't speak specifically about Athens. Ours were in China, South Africa twice, Egypt twice, Cambodia and Chile. Chile being the most recent one a year ago.  They have been well run and good experiences.  We found the detailed itinerary to be very accurate. 

Have a wonderful cruise and tour. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

I did the pre-cruise Athens tour in October. 3 days and it was included.

Lots of walking on uneven ground, but covered all the major sites. Usually a full day of touring followed by an evening tour.  I sat out some of them due to a knee problem.

Included meals on the tours were great.

We were at Grand Hyatt, which wasn't our favorite, but the view of the Acropolis at breakfast was spectacular! Restaurant at hotel was very expensive and not that great, but plenty of other places to eat with in walking distance.

Our guide was great!

We are doing a 4 day post land tour in Athens in May, also staying at the Grand Hyatt. Are you given a room with a king bed, or 2 twins? That's what seems to be available on the hotel web site as standard rooms. Do you have any recommendations for a half day of free time in the afternoon/evening? 

When we flew into Athens in November, we also had the included 3 day land program. Of course, day 1 is just getting there and checked into the hotel. We booked a Tuk-Tuk golf cart tour that afternoon which we thought was excellent and gave us something to do that afternoon and gave us a great overview of the city. As I recall, it was about 3 hours in length and picked us up and dropped us off at the hotel. The hotel stored the luggage for us until we were able to check in.

• Like 1

I thought Hop On Hop Off was great. The hotel shuttle dropped us off by the National Gardens, which is a HOHO stop. We did this our first day in Athens because we came in a day early. Nice way to get oriented.

There is a nice little restaurant right down the street from the hotel, just past the church. Very reasonable and family owned and open all hours! Another restaurant we liked was across the street from the back of the hotel and had great pizza.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sachasmom said:

If I can ask, what is the average group size on the pre/post cruise tours?

This can vary so much!

We were on a post tour out of Hong Kong to Xian China and there were less than 20 people.

We just got back from a post tour in Singapore with about 350 people!

The small group was excellent.

The Singapore group was handled about as well as could be done. However, we almost always went in the same order and our group was almost always last 😟 (but still a good experience)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sachasmom said:

If I can ask, what is the average group size on the pre/post cruise tours?

I agree with Tsunami74 on it varies.  

In Cairo we had a small bus with about half seats used.

In Victoria Falls there were 12

For Cape Town Wine tour there were 2 busses, our was not full. We never seemed to be bothered about the fact that there were two busses.  Handled very well.

• Like 1