Booked Excursions Changed from Included to Selected

gcornell

Booked these a while ago and I just logged on to check my upcoming July Iceland cruise and 5 of my excursions were reclassified from Included to Selected which, for my family of 4, will cost close over $5,000.  Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

Edited by gcornell

6 minutes ago, gcornell said:

Booked these a while ago and I just logged on to check my upcoming July Iceland cruise and 5 of my excursions were reclassified from Included to Selected which, for my family of 4, will cost close over $5,000.  Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

It happened to me on one excursion. However, if you look at the price, it has a line through it. And if you check the total on My Reserved events (or some similar name I can’t remember right now) there is no charge for the excursion(s).

Edited by gnome12

4 minutes ago, gcornell said:

Thanks

This has been mentioned several times on recent threads.  However, in all cases the reserved excursions were honoured with no extra charge.  One poster said the excursions were still on his “MySilversea” with $0.

Booking early does not guarantee that your included excursions will remain included, nor will you not get charged if they decide to change the pricing.  Silversea posts excursion offerings well in advance of negotiating contracts with the tour operators and I am no longer surprised when tours are cancelled, modified or the pricing is changed with an unfavorable outcome on my part. I had posted about this topic some time ago on another thread regarding an unfortunate experience we had.  We were booked on the Grand Africa/Arabia and one of the "included" excursions we reserved was a dinner event in Dubai.  Below is the an email communication from Shore Concierge we received on the "included excursion" several months after reserving it:

Dear Silversea Guest,

Thank you for your interest in the excursion DXB-E Al Sahara Dinner Experience, operating in Dubai, UAE on March 13th, 2024.

We regret to inform you that, due to operational reasons, this shore excursion is not included anymore but is sold as selected, at the price of $209 per person. The booking has already been modified to reflect this change.

In case you would like to cancel this booking we invite you to log-in into your MySilversea account and choose another shore excursion among our tour program.

Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to welcoming you onboard Silversea Cruises!

We received this communication in January 2023, 14 months before the actual date of the excursion. There was no offer to grandfather those such as ourselves who had signed up for the excursion when it was classified as included.  I voiced my concern to our then Silversea Cruise Consultant who's response was "we reserve the right to change or cancel for any reason"...

We subsequently cancelled this Grand Voyage which is now sailing with guests who are sadly wondering whether they will even see Dubai. 

3 hours ago, Port Power said:

This has been mentioned several times on recent threads.  However, in all cases the reserved excursions were honoured with no extra charge.  One poster said the excursions were still on his “MySilversea” with $0.

This is my experience as well.  Several of my excursions on an upcoming cruise now carry a charge but no increase for our bookings.  Sounds like it probably is a good idea to book ASAP and perhaps this issue is happening so often that SS has a system in place to honor the no-cost bookings.

41 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

perhaps this issue is happening so often that SS has a system in place to honor the no-cost bookings.

Sadly this wasn't the case for us.  I posted our experience so that others will be aware not to be surprised when they get the dreaded email from Shore Concierge...

2 hours ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

Sadly this wasn't the case for us.  I posted our experience so that others will be aware not to be surprised when they get the dreaded email from Shore Concierge...

How long ago did this happen to you?

Update.  I heard from my Virtuoso agent who received my email at the same time he was having lunch with a VP at Silversea and confirmed that once booked as Included there should be no charge.  

• Thanks 1