How many days before cruise starting in Athens

AKJonesy

I'm asking a few questions for those who have traveled to Greece in advance of cruise.  We are considering HAL NS NOV 2 2024 Athens-Rome-Fort Lauderdale 28 day.  My questions surround how much time to spend in advance of the cruise.  We want to see the usual sites, but possibly other islands if that is feasible.  Of course, I'm looking at the usual travel sites, but want to ask my well-heeled fellow cruisers if they have done this.  Time is not an issue, and we probably won't get back in the future, so I want to go all in.  I'm not looking for every detail, but just some ideas if you have gone in advance, and what might be best mode of travel while there.  Thanks.  Karen

If you are going to be in Athens in November, I would concentrate on the areas nearby. Your cruise will take you to two Greek isles, Corfu and Argostoli. And late October isn't the best time to be visiting others, unless you have an absolutely burning desire to visit Santorini without crowds, in which case your best option is a quick flight there from Athens and an overnight stay.

I would allow 2 full days to see the sights in Athens itself -- the Acropolis, the Greek and Roman agoras, the Acropolis Museum, the National Archaeological Museum, Syntagma Square (changing of the guard, best on a Sunday), Ceramikos, the Plaka, etc.

I would plan a day tour with a private driver to Corinth and Mycenae (comfortably done in a day with return to Athens).

I would plan either a long day tour or an overnight to Delphi. Delphi is a long drive from Athens (about 5 hours) but it is so worth it. If you take one of the regularly offered bus tours, you'll get a good taste of it but it does make for a long day. If you want to do an overnight, you can see more with a couple of other stops in the area. Make sure any tour allows time to visit the wonderful small museum there as well.

Another possible day trip would be to Olympia, about a 3.5 hour drive from Athens. It's a shame your cruise doesn't stop there (Katakolon port) as you'll be going right by it....

Finally, if you really want to see some other Greek islands that are easily accessible, there are ferry daytrips departing from Piraeus harbor that visit Hydra, Poros, and Aegina and return you to Piraeus at the end of the day. Here's an example:   https://www.viator.com/tours/Athens/Hydra-Poros-and-Egina-Day-Cruise-from-Athens/d496-3140_27

Rick Steves covers Athens very well and also has some downloadable self-guided tours, e.g., for the Parthenon. I would definitely check out his books on this area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been to Athens before and I am still going 2 days in advance for my October cruise.

The first visit we were there for 4 days and it worked well.  Keep in mind you may be a tad jet lagged and may need a bit of recovery time as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hydra is a close by island, still with low-key charm considering how close it is to Athens. If you just want the feel for a small Greek island and not delve further into their more far flung historical sites, Hydra is a good choice. 

Agree,  3-4 days ahead would get you to some of the basics while in your jet-lagged state. Best to come back for a Greek cruise on its own to more leisurely explore, and feel, the variety of the many eras of its historic sites. Ancient Greece, Mycenae, Minoan, Venetian, Byzantine, Early Greek Orthodox, WWII - Agristoli.........

We managed to pack a private drive out to Corinth (Ancient Greece - Early Christian - Modern era industrial marvel digging the canal)  on one prior port stop, and time to also visit the main Athens Museum. So there is just one day.

• Thanks 1

@cruisemom42 - I didn't think of Rick Steves.  Thanks for all your information.  

5 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Best to come back for a Greek cruise on its own to more leisurely explore, and feel, the variety of the many eras of its historic sites. Ancient Greece, Mycenae, Minoan, Venetian, Byzantine, Early Greek Orthodox, WWII - Agristoli

@OlsSalt have you done the greek cruise you mention above?

• Like 1

I specifically didn't post originally in Greece Ports because the post will probably get buried.  However, the HAL forum is very active and I knew there would be people who have visited prior to their cruise.  We'll see if anyone else posts.  

Edited by AKJonesy

@AKJonesy

- Adding to cruisemom's recommendations.  If you are going to Delphi you can add an overnight to Meteora.  Also, look at the George's Taxi website for their out-of-Athens private tours (plus transfers and local tours). Since time is not an issue and you want to go all in, this would be a great option for you.  We have traveled with George's Taxi a number of times and can highly recommend them.  They only do private tours, not shared tours.  They will customize the tours to your liking.

https://www.georgestaxi.com/

https://www.georgestaxi.com/tour_category/multi-day-private-tours/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did this last fall. Flew in to Athens 4 days early. The fly-in day we just got our bearings around our hotel area, stayed up as long as we could (6 pm), but that took care of most of our jet-lag. 2 days seeing Athens (Rick Steves walks mostly), and day 4 was another morning walk around the Acropolis area and then a taxi ride (Welcome Taxi) to port. If I could redo it, I'd take a few more days to see places out of the city.

23 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

@cruisemom42 - I didn't think of Rick Steves.  Thanks for all your information.  

@OlsSalt have you done the greek cruise you mention above?

We did several Greek cruises,  so hard to sort now which ports were on each one. 

Some were stand alone Greece, some were Turkey/Greece, some were Black Sea Greece and Turkey, and one was an Adriatic. One was also a London to Singapore via Suez- HAL's Grand Indonesia cruise.

Phew, now that I count them out ....... goodness sakes.  Let alone two much earlier Greek cruises back in the 1970's. 

• Like 1

Obviously late autumn weather is variable but we have had many lovely days at this time on a number of trips so personally I would take a chance on a few extra days if I wasn't sure when I might be back. All the suggestions made are good but here's a couple more. To be ambitious, you could open jaw into Thessaloniki (then train or fly to Athens, or hire a car and drive via Meteora) or Heraklion on Crete (then fly or ferry to Athens). Both were highlights of our recent cruise - see my recent posting in Greek Ports of Call (also posted on DIY Athens embarkation/disembarkation in same thread). Alternatively, you could by pass Athens on arrival and a) go to the island of Evora or further afield via the ferry port of Rafina which is near the airport and/or b) hire a car and drive down to the stunning Temple of Poseidon on scenic Cape  Sounion. (We've found driving in Greece to be very straightforward beyond big city centres). Would also consider basing yourself in Piraeus before or after the cruise. It has a lively centre, is handy for island ferries, has a pleasant coastal walk centred on Marina Zeas (which also many cafes, restaurants and shops on it or nearby) and easy access to Athens and airport via the blue line metro. The latter now terminates at the impressive new station of Dimotiko Theatro (Municipal Theatre) in the commercial heart of Piraeus, and actually nearer to the cruise terminals than the station that is called Piraeus. It's particularly handy for disembarkation because it's a short bus or taxi ride from the ship, and then there are empty carriages to position bags before the train fills up as it moves through Athens).

Edited by Cruisehiker
  • Like 1