Anyone done upgrade onboard?

BookBikeBeyond123

I've heard of this but never experienced it. I'm on the hunt for an upgrade, too. It's not looking so good right now, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and eyes open. 🙂 Good luck to you! 

I've actually added a 2nd Yacht Club cabin once onboard ... my experience is that MSC will absolutely try to sell you something if they have something to sell.

4 hours ago, mreic082 said:

I've heard of this but never experienced it. I'm on the hunt for an upgrade, too. It's not looking so good right now, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and eyes open. 🙂 Good luck to you! 

Thank you! Same here! Waiting to receive bid emails because our travel agent says they’re still a chance, even we are sailing in 5 days…. Looks like the ship has lots of yacht club rooms left so we will see! Knowing we can bid for yacht club for less than half the price make me hesitant to pay for the rack price… especially if there are lots availabilities. Really want to give the bid process a try lol

1 hour ago, peder said:

I've actually added a 2nd Yacht Club cabin once onboard ... my experience is that MSC will absolutely try to sell you something if they have something to sell.

Wow thanks for sharing the data point! Did you buy the first one directly without the upgrading program? Do you need to pay for the full price diff to upgrade a Non yacht club to a yacht club onboard?

1 hour ago, BookBikeBeyond123 said:

Wow thanks for sharing the data point! Did you buy the first one directly without the upgrading program? Do you need to pay for the full price diff to upgrade a Non yacht club to a yacht club onboard?

We had a YC grand deluxe suite on a Seashore sailing out of Genoa, added the 2nd on our first night onboard because they had a few available and it worked better for our group. I don't have numbers, but our sailing didn't seem completely full. I'm guessing they didn't get many bids for YC or the bids were too low and they rejected them, so there was apparently to no shortage of other YC cabins to offer us. But I don't think that's typical.

As far as cost, the YC concierge called someone for a price. The cost was about half what it would have cost if we had reserved the room ahead of time.

It was all a very manual process. Spoke volumes to me about how operations are handled in the ship vs off.

Edited by peder

Question would be if you aren't already in YC how you going to talk to YC Concierge?

I know I've read one person here reported upgrading once onboard but don't recall what they were originally in.

Also note the YINs have coffin size showers if a factor based on someone's size.

I would like to know as well, we have a YC inside booked for September, and once on board i will try and upgrade to a balcony YC cabin. Anyone ever have luck with that?

Upon leaving from our last cruise our butler told us going down the elevator that the Yacht Club had only 2 cabins left to sell, one being a Royal Suite. This would indicate that everyone that bid prior to sailing won their bids. Of those that reported their good fortune they got the YC deluxe balcony for $2600 total which is half the standard rate when they bid 2 weeks before sailing. The concierge and head butler told us that a Royal Suite on Seascape went for $5000 total recently. 

Thanks for the info. Currently there are 14 YC cabins available for our September sailing so almost positive they will sell out prior, but i will check after final payment and see if there is a price drop and maybe just upgrade the old fashion way by paying outright. 

22 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Upon leaving from our last cruise our butler told us going down the elevator that the Yacht Club had only 2 cabins left to sell, one being a Royal Suite. This would indicate that everyone that bid prior to sailing won their bids. Of those that reported their good fortune they got the YC deluxe balcony for $2600 total which is half the standard rate when they bid 2 weeks before sailing. The concierge and head butler told us that a Royal Suite on Seascape went for $5000 total recently. 

wow 2600 is such a steal!! So the YC Royal Suite is 5000 total on website? Or the additional cost to upgrade? Is this a 7 day cruise?

45 minutes ago, BookBikeBeyond123 said:

wow 2600 is such a steal!! So the YC Royal Suite is 5000 total on website? Or the additional cost to upgrade? Is this a 7 day cruise?

$2600 is half price for two for 7days..The $5000 is also half price for 7 days in the Royal Suite.

P.S. The website is around $5000 for a regular YC deluxe balcony for 2 people for 7days and $10,000 for two people for 7 days in the Royal Suite. These are the 'good old days' of cruising, because once MSC gains a foothold in the US market these bargains will be gone. Once one gets a 'taste' of YC it is too hard to go back to steerage.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
ps
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 9:56 AM, wolft927 said:

Thanks for the info. Currently there are 14 YC cabins available for our September sailing so almost positive they will sell out prior, but i will check after final payment and see if there is a price drop and maybe just upgrade the old fashion way by paying outright. 

Actually any cost to upgrade will be based on the price of the Deluxe Cabin AT THE TIME you booked your YIN.  (I know, it's weird, but that's the way MSC does it.)

On 2/6/2024 at 9:56 PM, BookBikeBeyond123 said:

We are trying to upgrade to yacht club….. we will see if it is possible and update here

Never heard of someone outside of YC being able to upgrade once on ship.  Going from YIN to Balcony is possible at times.

49 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Never heard of someone outside of YC being able to upgrade once on ship.  Going from YIN to Balcony is possible at times.

We will try to go from YIN to balcony but honestly not for a crazy price. Again we got the YIN for our cruise in September on the Seascape for $3200 total. the Balcony was about $5300. So would be willing to spend about another $1k total for the balcony but thats about it.