Starlink

5 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

That is very disappointing to hear, since we will be on the ship later this summer.   Please let us know your cabin number after you leave the ship.  

We were in 755 on Voyager last month, and the Wifi was abysmal. We gave up and used 5G, which was possible because we were in or near a port for almost all of the cruise. Like hapzfl I blame the inability to connect to an access point, not Starlink. And even public places like the library struggled with connectivity.

Here's the best results we got for the entire cruise. Not very good!

markup_1000001219.png

5 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

That is very disappointing to hear, since we will be on the ship later this summer.   Please let us know your cabin number after you leave the ship.  

We will be on the Voyager until 9/15, so it will take a wile. It is not just our suite that has a problem. According to the IT guy the wiring in the suites will have to be changed and that will require a dry dock. But there are many more changes required. E.g. there are currently no outlets next to the bed, so phones and watches have to be charged elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

We were in 755 on Voyager last month, and the Wifi was abysmal. We gave up and used 5G, which was possible because we were in or near a port for almost all of the cruise. Like hapzfl I blame the inability to connect to an access point, not Starlink. And even public places like the library struggled with connectivity.

Here's the best results we got for the entire cruise. Not very good!

markup_1000001219.png

agree

Posted (edited)

it must depend on locale.  We are on Splendor now, in Iceland, and the internet is painfully slow. 

Edited by Bruce61

1 hour ago, Bruce61 said:

it must depend on locale.  We are on Splendor now, in Iceland, and the internet is painfully slow. 

That was our experience a couple weeks ago too. It would come and go, randomly. It seemed to be better up at La Veranda in the morning. I was starting to wonder if outages needed to be rebooted manually by the IT guy, because there were definitely fewer issues during the day than late night/early morning.

24 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

That was our experience a couple weeks ago too. It would come and go, randomly. It seemed to be better up at La Veranda in the morning. I was starting to wonder if outages needed to be rebooted manually by the IT guy, because there were definitely fewer issues during the day than late night/early morning.

The ship's internal wifi connectivity depends on where you are on the ship. Sitting directly under a router is FAR better than being in your steel box (cabin) with no unimpeded path to a hallway router.

14 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

The ship's internal wifi connectivity depends on where you are on the ship. Sitting directly under a router is FAR better than being in your steel box (cabin) with no unimpeded path to a hallway router.

Well, the signal worked just fine during the day and in the early evening from my steel box.

11 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

Well, the signal worked just fine during the day and in the early evening from my steel box.

Perhaps the system was bogged down by guests using it more when they woke up and in the evening. I always got max speeds around 2-3AM when we closed out the bars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pcardad said:

Perhaps the system was bogged down by guests using it more when they woke up and in the evening. I always got max speeds around 2-3AM when we closed out the bars.

I got zero signal then. The only way I was able to get a signal at all was through my cellular carrier, because we more often than not were docked near a town in Iceland. I got zero to poor signals/service during overnight hours. Again, this was Splendor/non-Starlink. I didn't have one issue on Grandeur/Starlink in any of my 21 nights there, anywhere onboard.

2 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

I got zero signal then. The only way I was able to get a signal at all was through my cellular carrier, because we more often than not were docked near a town in Iceland. I got zero to poor signals/service during overnight hours. Again, this was Splendor/non-Starlink. I didn't have one issue on Grandeur/Starlink in any of my 21 nights there, anywhere onboard.

Thankfully all ships will be using Starlink by the end of December...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2024 at 6:36 AM, flossie009 said:

We are connecting to the internet without issue

Today on Voyager internet access is patchy.

We are docked in Tangier, Morocco where Starlink is unavailable apparently.

Edited by flossie009

On GRANDEUR now and don't really feel any great speeds on my internet connection. Some areas of the cabin are really slow. we sailed on Explora Journeys earlier this year and there Starlink was incredibly FAST and they included free streaming. We didn't care for Explora Journeys but there internet speed throughout the ship was incredible. We were hoping Regent would be the same. 

GRANDEUR®

GRANDEUR®

51 minutes ago, Ross4356 said:

On GRANDEUR now and don't really feel any great speeds on my internet connection. Some areas of the cabin are really slow. we sailed on Explora Journeys earlier this year and there Starlink was incredibly FAST and they included free streaming. We didn't care for Explora Journeys but there internet speed throughout the ship was incredible. We were hoping Regent would be the same. 

GRANDEUR®

GRANDEUR®

It seems to be capped at about 4 down. I get about 40 down (for perspective) on RCL.