Advice on British Isles Explorer excursions

snookie1

13 minutes ago, LostInQuilts said:

Thank you!

I'm definitely interested in the excursion in the Orkney Islands that goes to Skara Brae. There's a farm visit in Bergen that looks interesting and another one in Dublin. I'm thinking that we'll want to visit Caerfarnon Castle in Wales. Those are the only ones I've halfway decided on at this point.

Here you go:

Orkney’s Stone Age going to Skara Brae, $159

Bergen farm, $179

Dublin farm, $199

Caernarfon  Castle, $129

…all per person

Just now, SantaFe1 said:

Here you go:

Orkney’s Stone Age going to Skara Brae, $159

Bergen farm, $179

Dublin farm, $199

Caernarfon  Castle, $129

…all per person

Thank you so much! I'm so glad I found this site. 

13 hours ago, Kountess said:

Lorna Brown was great, and Skara Brae was one of the places we visited.  Here's my blog post on the day we spent with her.

Rambling Chronicles: Orkney Islands Tour (stramblingchronicles.blogspot.com) 

Kountess, you have a lovely blog!  Since we are doing BIE in May, in reverse order from what you did, I took the liberty of reading all those posts.  Very informative.  And just seeing what you were wearing in Scotland has me re-thinking what kind of cold weather clothes I need to take!

6 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Kountess, you have a lovely blog!  Since we are doing BIE in May, in reverse order from what you did, I took the liberty of reading all those posts.  Very informative.  And just seeing what you were wearing in Scotland has me re-thinking what kind of cold weather clothes I need to take!

Thank you for the lovely compliment.  I'm so glad you found the posts helpful.  I have gotten so much helpful information from Cruise Critic posters in the past and am happy to pay it forward.  Enjoy your cruise.

2 hours ago, LostInQuilts said:

Thank you!

I'm definitely interested in the excursion in the Orkney Islands that goes to Skara Brae. There's a farm visit in Bergen that looks interesting and another one in Dublin. I'm thinking that we'll want to visit Caerfarnon Castle in Wales. Those are the only ones I've halfway decided on at this point.

We did the Bergen  farm visit. Excellent excursion, wonderful, engaging family who welcomed us as guests and joined us in visiting their farm. One of the best, IMO.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, let's go cruising said:

It is my dream. 

1 hour ago, Kountess said:

Yes, we saw them on June 5 in the Shetland Islands.  There were so many and so easy to see.

Rambling Chronicles: Shetland Islands Tour (stramblingchronicles.blogspot.com)

So, yes. I, over two years out still, can we do the Mousa Island Hike AND see Sumburgh Head?

1 minute ago, let's go cruising said:

So, yes. I, over two years out still, can we do the Mousa Island Hike AND see Sumburgh Head?

We were on a private tour, so I can't help you with this question.

Just tried to book the The Ultimate Loch Ness Outlander Experience, but it was sold out.

Does anyone know of a 3rd party tour company that offers a similar tour?  Thank you. 

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, PAJoe said:

Just tried to book the The Ultimate Loch Ness Outlander Experience, but it was sold out.

Does anyone know of a 3rd party tour company that offers a similar tour?  Thank you. 

Go check again quickly.  I just checked, and it is showing two left!  EDIT. Sorry, thought this was posted on my particular roll call.  So I have no idea about what you might see on yours.  

Edited by SantaFe1

Thank you formernuke.  I did end up booking a private tour with Viator. It is their full day outlander experience. Does much of the same as the Viking excursion but at a much cheaper cost.

Did anyone do the pre-extension Gin, Gardens and Grand Homes?  Looking for general information about how much free time, what should we do with it and restaurant suggestions.

Today's stupid question.

On a clear day, can the Viking ships docked at Greenwich be seen from the top of the EYE?

If not, Londoners, where is a good high place to go to get pictures of the ship. 

Thanks everybody.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Today's stupid question.

On a clear day, can the Viking ships docked at Greenwich be seen from the top of the EYE?

If not, Londoners, where is a good high place to go to get pictures of the ship. 

Thanks everybody.

I took a picture from Greenwich Observatory and on the Thames Clipper. We took the London Walks tour of Greenwich, which included a boat ride down the Thames.

IMG_2987.thumb.jpeg.7a96fe88e1b39c3fca03245aa1d04531.jpeg

IMG_2969.thumb.jpeg.12d5251c2a95f4de72986a65fa04db8a.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Hmm, I think the photo from the Observatory, along with some photos I googled,  answers my question.  Even though the EYE website claims that on a clear day you can see to Windsor Castle, we aren't going to see anything  but the tallest buildings -- if we can even figure out which was is Greenwich.

That means I can book my EYE appointment any day I want. 👀

12 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I took a picture from Greenwich Observatory and on the Thames Clipper. We took the London Walks tour of Greenwich, which included a boat ride down the Thames.

IMG_2987.thumb.jpeg.7a96fe88e1b39c3fca03245aa1d04531.jpeg

IMG_2969.thumb.jpeg.12d5251c2a95f4de72986a65fa04db8a.jpeg

We have this same pic from the observatory at the end of the 2019 WC.  IMG_3447.thumb.jpeg.4466f4ff23bee22d448ee5a916f56664.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 5:10 PM, PAJoe said:

Ours was booked via Viator with Thistle Excursions.  Only 8 of us in a mini van and it was terrific.

On 3/22/2024 at 11:03 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Viking offers the following optional excursion. We are booked on it in May.

Orkney’s Stone Age

Duration: 4 hours      

loading UNESCO
loading Sightseeing
loading Moderate *

A REMOTE ISLAND’S NEOLITHIC PAST

Witness untold centuries of human settlement during visits to Orkney’s Neolithic and Viking sites. Take a drive through rolling landscapes, passing prehistoric sites such as the Standing Stones of Stenness, dating to the third millennium BC. Stop at the well-preserved Stone Age settlement of Skara Brae, and explore one of Europe’s most complete Neolithic villages. Older than Stonehenge, it has been called the “Scottish Pompeii” because of its remarkably preserved dwellings. Visit the 17th-century Skaill House, built by Bishop George Graham. All 12 of its lairds have been related during its 400-year history, and the house features memorabilia collected from each generation. Return to your motor coach and continue on this circular route, following the coastline of Scapa Flow.

Unfortunately it is not listed on the June 17th cruise. Really wanted to do this one. They only offer the included town tour. 

22 minutes ago, dcl999 said:

Unfortunately it is not listed on the June 17th cruise. Really wanted to do this one. They only offer the included town tour. 

Strange. E-mail Viking and ask why there is only the included tour on the day you are going to be there. tellus@vikingcruises.com

The 2024 BIE season is almost underway.

There is a LIVE thread for the APRIL 19 sailing on Viking Venus -- with Churchill extension.

Semi-LIVE from Venus British Isles Explorer 4/19 with Churchill Pre-extension

For schedule for Churchill extension, see post #4:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3003197-semi-live-from-venus-british-isles-explorer-419-with-churchill-pre-extension/?do=findComment&comment=67244414