Selecting a Cruise Line for Glacier Bay

Debate

I am beginning my research to take my 75 year old Mother on an Alaska cruise (just Mom and me).  I am thinking 7 days departing from Seattle.  Which cruise line should we focus our attention?  We are considering late August due to scheduling conflicts other months.  Glacier Bay is on her bucket list and I know only some lines have access. I appreciate any advice.  We are trying to keep cost as low as possible so any tips in that regard would be appreciated.  I've cruised several times before with my family and we've always gotten a veranda (never to Alaska) however it may be out budget for this trip - will it be terribly missed on an Alaska cruise?  

• Like 1

Princess and Holland America are the 2 lines that have the best Glacier Bay National Park access. I personally wouldn't take an Alaskan cruise without a balcony. We spent so much time out there on our last cruise. We saw sea otters, seals, whales, dolphins, bald eagles, waterfalls and rainbows from our balcony. Make sure to take binoculars! Just for fun I just looked at the Princess site for a cruise from seatle that includes Glacier Bay National Park in August and you can get a balcony for $3,664 for the 2 of you. Not sure what your budget is but this gives you an idea. I hope this helps! Happy planning!

Holland America has a lot of inside viewing areas, Lido and Crows Nest just to name a few.  A veranda gives you a nice large private viewing area but it will be cold.  Blankets are provided in the room for warmth while you are sitting on the veranda.  One nice thing about a veranda in Glacier Bay:  it will be quiet so that you will actually hear the glacier as it calves.  It’s nice to go out on the veranda when the ship pulls into a port.  

Ditto the advice to explore Holland America and Princess cruises for access to Glacier Bay.  In addition, both cruise lines will have many enrichment programs/activities on board that will make your Alaskan cruise extra special.

I know most will tell you that you have to have a balcony/veranda on an Alaskan cruise but you and your mom will still have a wonderful cruise even if staying an interior cabin.  There will be outdoor viewing areas for Glacier Bay as well observational lounges for views.  Also by staying in a more economical cabin may free up funds for excursions.  

We have cruised Alaska in a wide variety of cabins (interior, ocean view,  balcony, mini suite)—never had a bad cruise!

If financially you can swing it, try to cruise out of Vancouver.  You’ll find that the port times and scenery are better than a cruise out of Seattle.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

cIf this is a bucket list trip Glacier Bay is definitely a must. We did a one way itinerary on Princess last summer and it was the highlight of the cruise! Most glacier viewing is 3-4 hours max including the time to sail in and out, but Glacier Bay was an all day event at least 6 hours. 

I’m sure either line you are looking at would be a good choice. I’d probably chose based more on port times and ship. We loved having a balcony so we could pop in and out easily and have a quiet, private place for viewing.

Most people just look at ports. Definitely look at port times. Cruises out of Seattle usually have the worst port times (and as mentioned earlier, less scenery). Flying to Vancouver is just as easy and the port times are usually so much better. by doing that.

IMO - Princess does better enrichment programs but I think HAL has RT Vancouver cruises. Either will be great.

We chose Norwegian departing from Vancouver! The ports and port times were what sealed the deal for us. We chose an ocean view cabin because we are not the type to sit in the room so it seemed a waste to pay double for a balcony. 

Edited by nordicacres

On 2/6/2024 at 4:35 PM, Debate said:

I am beginning my research to take my 75 year old Mother on an Alaska cruise (just Mom and me).  I am thinking 7 days departing from Seattle.  Which cruise line should we focus our attention?  We are considering late August due to scheduling conflicts other months.  Glacier Bay is on her bucket list and I know only some lines have access. I appreciate any advice.  We are trying to keep cost as low as possible so any tips in that regard would be appreciated.  I've cruised several times before with my family and we've always gotten a veranda (never to Alaska) however it may be out budget for this trip - will it be terribly missed on an Alaska cruise?  

I have cruised in everything from inside to suite. I have enjoyed all of my trips.

On glacier days, I don't stay in my cabin. I find it better to be on deck able to move around for the best views. 

I am hesitant to book an inside these days in case I would get sick, I would feel confined to my room if I get COVID (and not have a balcony). But in the past, I had no hesitations booking inside cabins.

I personally would not take a parent on NCL. I am not even sure if I would sail NCL but that is me. Their docking location in Ketchikan is a no go for me.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

I would never sail Norwegian in Alaska because of the docking locations and bad port times, but many people seem to love it.  I would also look at the older, smaller ships.  The large ships are crowded and noisy and it can take forever to get on and off if you tender or have a shuttle.  There will be 68 ships in Alaska this summer up from 50 last year and the main ports will be mobbed.  Look for a ship that includes Sitka or Icy Strait Point which have limited dock space.  If you are on a budget, say no to all the extra perks and packages the cruise lines want to sell you.  

• Like 1