Opinion Please!

macahayes

The question is simple, The Seven Seas Navigator vs. the Voyager for a Baltic cruise?

I know they are both small ships. The Navigator has fewer dining options but is that 3rd restaurant really missed?

I'm also reading the reviews but wanted to hear from those that have cruised on these ships but didn't post your review.

thank you!

Aileen

That's a tough question to ask, as personal preferences can make such a difference. I've been on the Navigator three times, and they were three of the best cruises I've ever had! The nice thing about this ship is that it docks close into town, (at least it did for my cruise) and there are taxis right off the ship if you have a visa and want to go off on your own. The Voyager docks somewhere further out, requiring quite a walk even to get to where the taxis are allowed to park. I do love the Voyager as well, even though I usually only eat at either Compass Rose or Signatures for dinner. On the Navigator, the concept for the Italian Restaurant has recently changed to almost an entertainment venue, with singing waiters and guest participation.

The Navigator holds 490, the Voyager 700, but you will have lines on neither.

Standard balcony cabins are virtually the same layout and size. Navigator is 3 years older than Voyager, but will be going into drydock soon for refurbishing.

You won't go wrong with either choice!

IMO Jhp gives a great reason for taking the Navigator to the Baltics and it is that it can dock in town. I went to the Batics on Voyager and it docked in a horrible commercial port. The dock workers spent most of the night loading and unloading stuff right in front of where my cabin was and I could barely sleep with noise. I don't know if they still dock at the same place and/or if I was particularly unlucky but if I ever do the Baltics again I would try to reserve a cabin that faces away from the dock( although I don't even know if that information would be known months in advance!) or go on a ship that docks in town.

Having been on Diamond, which had only the one main restaurant, and the other Italian entertainment experience (which they have tried to recreate on Navigator), I will say that I missed an extra restaurant. I hated Don Vito's (I know I am in a minority here). Even the Paul Gauguin has three restaurants!

So, having not been on either ship, I would choose Voyager, even though I do prefer the smaller ship. Given this choice on similar Med-Baltic repositioning cruises this summer, I chose Voyager.

I was on the Diamond twice and had a great time at Don Vito's. However, I only ate there once because once was really enough for me. Because the main dining room was so nice and it had some quieter areas with lots of window seating I really didn't miss the lack of another restaurant. I am not sure that the fit on a larger ship would/will be that good, as having alternatives to the larger dining rooms is, for me, a very important thing.

Don't get me wrong. The main dining room on Diamond was fantastic, loved it. But I guess I also like to have some choice, and Don Vito's didn't do it for me. And it's not just dinner, but lunch and breakfast where it's nice to have some options.

You know, I enjoyed taking breakfast and lunch out on deck so much, I didn't really consider any other options as being necessary! (I do miss that ship.:( )

You are right, though. especially with sea days having the additional options is nice.

We love both ships, but have found the soundproofing on the Navigator to be a problem. Perhaps our neighbors were particularly noisy on our one Navigator cruise, but we could hear both our next door and upstairs neighbors (including their private conversations) all of the time. We were on deck 10. On the Voyager and the Mariner, we have been in various locations and have never heard any sounds from our neighbors.

Personally, I never missed the extra dining options on the Diamond. As for Don Vito's...it was fun, but I didn't especially care for the food. On the Voyager, I did like having the Verandah's mediteranean menu for more casual evening meals. I wasn't that impressed with either Signatures or Lattitudes. Overall, I liked the main dining rooms best. Just a matter of perfonal prefernce.

Counting the days for my first Navigator experience!

Archived