Norway cruise

Vaguely lookiing at doing a Norway cruise.  Not done one before as we usually like warm climes.   One of the places listed is Romsdalsfjord, but it looks like you just cruise down the fjord and don't stop

Also, can you DIY in these ports, Tromso, Andalsnes, Stavanger.  We don't like ship excursions.

It's pretty easy to DIY in all 3. Tromso has musuems, a cathedral and town to walk around. Andalsnes we climbed up the hill overlooking the town but you can catch a bus or tram. Stavanger is easy walking, to the town and round the lake. All three are quite scenic in different ways.

9 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

just cold

Cold is a relative term. Yes Norway is not as hot as the Med in August but can be very pleasantly warm. We were in that area last year (May/June) and on some days we were sat out on deck in very comfortable temperatures.

13 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

It just seems a bit samey to me

It can get a bit "samey" but it is worth it for the scenery which never fails to impress. Each place/fjord is different and all have their own character.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, david63 said:

Cold is a relative term. Yes Norway is not as hot as the Med in August but can be very pleasantly warm. We were in that area last year (May/June) and on some days we were sat out on deck in very comfortable temperatures.

It can get a bit "samey" but it is worth it for the scenery which never fails to impress. Each place/fjord is different and all have their own character.

It would be March/April, so I'm guessing very cold.  Hmmm.

5 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Vaguely lookiing at doing a Norway cruise.  Not done one before as we usually like warm climes.   One of the places listed is Romsdalsfjord, but it looks like you just cruise down the fjord and don't stop

Also, can you DIY in these ports, Tromso, Andalsnes, Stavanger.  We don't like ship excursions.

Yes you're right about the cruising in Romsdalfjord - it will almost certainly follow your departure from a port (Andalsnes?) and will be logged as the same day on the itinerary. 

Tromso is great!  Get the shuttle into town - if you want to explore further then catch the local bus across the ridge to the base of the cable car and go up to the top for the classic view overlooking the Arctic Cathedral, the town, bridge and river/fjord.  There's a cafe on top.

If it's summer across from the berth is the University Botanical Gardens which were free when we went and a revelation!  Alpine plants I thought would be rock-hugging and a bit uninteresting, but it was a riot of colour (it was summer). It figures in Monty Don's Around the World in 80 Gardens. Worth a visit. 

Andalsnes is easy DIY - the new Gondola is great.  Very close to the berth, fantastic views, cafe on top and some trails if you want to go further.  

Stavanger is different - much bigger but easy to see on foot. There's the old town with clap-board houses often with flowers around the doors.  This is where you get off the ship.  Further round the  harbour to the left is the Cathedral with the small lake behind which you a walk round.  Further round - left again - are old warehouses now waterfront cafes (although these were shut on our last visit which was a Sunday - most things were).  On this side of the harbour are some colourful wooden buildings - very picturesque.   If it's raining the Petroleum Museum is surprisingly interesting! 

The sail-in and sail-outs are like excursions in themselves - definitely worth spending time in the Crows Nest or equivalent. 

It's not a destination if you are looking for quaranteed warmth but the scenery is absolutely spectacular and awe-inspiring.  We never tire of it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We have had warm and cold trips to Scandinavia in March/April. It is very hit or miss at that time of the year but the scenery is always fantastic.

Norway is absolutely beautiful, done it 3 times now and always done it all ourselves, we had very hot weather last year in June, Give it a go wonderful scenery & lovely people as well, 

15 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

It would be March/April, so I'm guessing very cold.

And depending on how far north you are going you may well see some snow. It's actually quite magical waking up in a morning to see the ship covered in six inches of snow!

20 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Yes you're right about the cruising in Romsdalfjord - it will almost certainly follow your departure from a port (Andalsnes?) and will be logged as the same day on the itinerary. 

Tromso is great!  Get the shuttle into town - if you want to explore further then catch the local bus across the ridge to the base of the cable car and go up to the top for the classic view overlooking the Arctic Cathedral, the town, bridge and river/fjord.  There's a cafe on top.

If it's summer across from the berth is the University Botanical Gardens which were free when we went and a revelation!  Alpine plants I thought would be rock-hugging and a bit uninteresting, but it was a riot of colour (it was summer). It figures in Monty Don's Around the World in 80 Gardens. Worth a visit. 

Andalsnes is easy DIY - the new Gondola is great.  Very close to the berth, fantastic views, cafe on top and some trails if you want to go further.  

Stavanger is different - much bigger but easy to see on foot. There's the old town with clap-board houses often with flowers around the doors.  This is where you get off the ship.  Further round the  harbour to the left is the Cathedral with the small lake behind which you a walk round.  Further round - left again - are old warehouses now waterfront cafes (although these were shut on our last visit which was a Sunday - most things were).  On this side of the harbour are some colourful wooden buildings - very picturesque.   If it's raining the Petroleum Museum is surprisingly interesting! 

The sail-in and sail-outs are like excursions in themselves - definitely worth spending time in the Crows Nest or equivalent. 

It's not a destination if you are looking for quaranteed warmth but the scenery is absolutely spectacular and awe-inspiring.  We never tire of it. 

What a fantastic summary! May I add the Polar Museum and the Mack Brewery as alternative visitor attractions in Tromso (depending on personal taste of course).

• Thanks 1

Beautiful country and people, one of my favourite places.

Take layers and waterproof jacket and footwear. Even though you don’t like ship excursions, from Andalsnes the Troll Wall and Trollstigen are breathtaking (not for nervous travellers)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I did a northern lights cruise to Norway in March. Thick snow north of Bergen and yes, very cold. May to September would be warmer and no snow.

I am thinking of fitting it in to March/April as that's when our cruise insurance would cover us.  After that, might need to think again about cruising.  It's becoming mega expensive.

Thanks everyone for your comments.  Sounds very positive.

Edited by jeanlyon

I've enjoyed all our Norway cruises, but they have all included actual fjord cruising deep into the heart of the country.

The ports on that trip are all more or less coastal.  Andalsnes is at the end of a short fjord, which is little more than a coastal inlet.  The town offers very little to do, but it is good to get to see Troll Road and Trollstigen, but both need good weather.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dobbers said:

We got a certificate for crossing the Arctic Circle last year on Arcadia 😀

Did you get the ceremony too of putting some cold water down the back of your neck????  Brrrr..... 

7 minutes ago, Cruising Nomads said:

You are there for the full day of the 23rd.

Cruise starts 25th March 2025  and this is what it says for Alta  

• 30 Mar 2025 - 1 Apr 2025
  • Arrives in Early Afternoon
  • Overnight

1 minute ago, Cruising Nomads said:

Sorry. Thought you were talking about cruise R403N March 2024. Especially when you mentioned your Travel Insurance would fit in.

That's OK, how would you know.  My insurance is changing company after I renew late April and I happen to know the new company won't cover over 85s.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 7:18 AM, Rene46 said:

Norway is absolutely beautiful, done it 3 times now and always done it all ourselves.....

Curious if you made excursion reservations prior to leaving home or if you made them after arriving at the port.