Johnny Rockets

My family and I will be on Symphony in April. Is there a set charge for Johnny Rockets or is it a la carte. If it is a cover for all you can eat, how much is it ? 

It's whatever you want for a set price. My app says $14.99, but keep in mind that doesn't include the automatic 18% gratuity they tack on there. That truly covers everything.

Don't forget that since you're on an Oasis class ship, Johnny Rockets does breakfast for free! It's my favorite breakfast venue when I travel on that class. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cactus527 said:

It's whatever you want for a set price. My app says $14.99, but keep in mind that doesn't include the automatic 18% gratuity they tack on there. That truly covers everything.

Don't forget that since you're on an Oasis class ship, Johnny Rockets does breakfast for free! It's my favorite breakfast venue when I travel on that class. 🙂

My last RCL cruise was 2017 and at that time I think it was $5. Johnny Rockets is now $15?? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cactus527 said:

Except a milkshake, right?  

2 hours ago, Cactus527 said:

Are Johnny Rockets staff included in tip sharing?  Or is it appropriate to tip when having (no-cost) breakfast? 

5 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Except a milkshake, right?  

Milkshakes are included if you have the Refreshment package or Deluxe Bev Package. 

4 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Are Johnny Rockets staff included in tip sharing?  Or is it appropriate to tip when having (no-cost) breakfast? 

Unknown, but we always tip a couple bucks for good service.

Just now, Cactus527 said:

They actually have a point at the bar/main area inside the restaurant where you can order shakes only. My teens have used that relentlessly. 🤣

My will-be-then 3 year old grandson has never had a milkshake.  I'm planning to introduce him to STRAWBERRY.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

My will-be-then 3 year old grandson has never had a milkshake.  I'm planning to introduce him to STRAWBERRY.  

EXCELLENT choice - strawberry is my favorite! Sometimes they are out of certain flavors, but I think I remember chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, and Oreo cookies & cream.

6 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

EXCELLENT choice - strawberry is my favorite! Sometimes they are out of certain flavors, but I think I remember chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, and Oreo cookies & cream.

Mine too.  Gotta start the boy out right!  Put him on a good path, you know.  

• Haha 2

I don't normally balk at pricing on a cruise ship, but JR has me scratching my head. A single fixed charge at a burger joint is a bit odd, as some people order a little, others a lot.  If it was a la carte pricing, I might grab a burger.  But honestly, I would have trouble spending $15 myself at a landside JR.

Even more of an oddity, has ANYONE been to a JR on land lately?  I mean, it was pretty cool thirty years ago, but now it's wildly unremarkable.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I don't normally balk at pricing on a cruise ship, but JR has me scratching my head. A single fixed charge at a burger joint is a bit odd, as some people order a little, others a lot.  If it was a la carte pricing, I might grab a burger.  But honestly, I would have trouble spending $15 myself at a landside JR.

Even more of an oddity, has ANYONE been to a JR on land lately?  I mean, it was pretty cool thirty years ago, but now it's wildly unremarkable.

Exactly why playmakers is such a hit. Its ala carte. And great burgers. They need to can JR. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Exactly why playmakers is such a hit. It’s ala carte. And great burgers. They need to can JR. 

Yes, they do. But they probably feel they can’t when Carnival has (the far superior and included in your fare) Guy’s Burger Joint.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I don't like being lied to -- I can stay salty about it for a long, long time. 

Royal lied when they started charging a fee for Johnny Rockets years ago.  They said the fee was to prevent teens from hanging out in the place all day /keeping families from finding seats.  I never saw that -- not even close.  They just wanted to justify a fee for a burger joint, and once they started it as "all you can eat for $4.99", they just kept the concept of "all you can eat".  I agree they'd get more business if they'd sell JUST french fries to go, etc.  

Now the place is a ghost town -- not worth the real estate it takes up.  I wonder if they have an X-number of years contract with Johnny Rockets?  

3 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't like being lied to -- I can stay salty about it for a long, long time.  

I think you're taking things a bit too personal! LOL!

I have no doubt that had they NOT charged, they would have that exact problem. So I don't think that was necessarily a lie.  I also think the "ghost town" remark is a bit of hyperbole. I've seen in plenty busy on Oasis class ships quite often. 

I still don't care for it and won't go, but clearly a lot of people do.

• Like 3

Maybe that's why it's not on Icon class any more.  After a couple times for the songs, shake and burger, we didn't bother going any more, then when O class came out, we have done breakfast a lot, but haven't spent any $$ there in at least 15 years.  Being from Texas I had never even known about JRs until we cruised Voyager.  It was a novelty with the singing waiters, I suspected it would eventually be phased out.

Edited by BecciBoo

31 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Now the place is a ghost town -- not worth the real estate it takes up.  I wonder if they have an X-number of years contract with Johnny Rockets?  

It's a lot easier to say you're gonna charge for it but offer freebies and specials as needed to boost traffic.  

When you have a packed venue and have to figure out how to limit the crowd size.... ask a D+ who used to have access to the Concierge/Suite lounge and doesn't anymore.  

We've never been, not one time,  Just something about the ease of getting a decent burger on shore.

And funny enough @BecciBoo- no more JR on Voyager (were on it last month).  I think that's part of where they moved the spa to.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2024 at 2:35 PM, leisuretraveler223 said:

The only one near us didn't survive the pandemic, but we always enjoyed eating there. I don't find the onboard version to be as good as the land version. The burgers there never seemed remarkably different from what is served in the Windjammer, so at $15, I'd probably skip JR's. Guy's onboard Carnival? Now that's a good burger. And it doesn't cost extra. 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I think you're taking things a bit too personal! LOL!

Nah, I just know what I've seen.  

1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I have no doubt that had they NOT charged, they would have that exact problem. 

I don't believe teens would've overwhelmed the place.  I remember when JR's was free, and it didn't happen then.  

12 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

The only one near us didn't survive the pandemic, but we always enjoyed eating there.

We used to go to one at the beach years ago.  Not sure if it's still operating. 

12 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

The burgers there never seemed remarkably different from what is served in the Windjammer

Agree.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MichaelCMTX said:

And funny enough @BecciBoo- no more JR on Voyager (were on it last month).  I think that's part of where they moved the spa to.

Oh wow, we cruise Voyager again next month, first cruise back on her in many years.

Edited by BecciBoo

12 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Oh wow, we cruise Voyager again next month, first cruise back on her in many years.

We were last on her Jan 2011 - this was our first RC repeat (funny enough, going on Mariner in September and were on her in Jan 2012).  

Yeah, some are gonna roll their eyes because they've been on the same ship several times in a year... or month...

Edited by MichaelCMTX

I always thought it was OK, but I base my burger desires on San Antonio's local popular burger joints, Chester's and the Longhorn Cafe.  It's really odd how different burgers come out when they are all about the same ingredients.  For me, they gotta have toasted buns, Chester's paint them with some sort of butter/garlic spread and slap 'em on a spittin hot grill while they're cooking the patties and those patties are GOOD meat not a bunch of cardboard tasting ground.  But lots of flavor, they come out with a crunchy edge to the buns but very moist and meaty, a fair amount of grease but oh so scrumptious.  It may be the Guys' burgers are somewhat like that.  We may just do Jubilee soon and I'll find out!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MichaelCMTX said:

same ship several times in a year

We are transplanted Arkansans now, but we've done Voyager many times after she arrived in Galveston, lately we are able to do  a couple cruises a year but mostly flying to Florida for O class these days, we sometimes drive down to Galveston and do shorties, last Sept. we did Allure for the 3rd time, but I'm really excited for Icon in September...

Edited by BecciBoo

8 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

We are transplanted Arkansans now, but we've done Voyager many times after she arrived in Galveston, lately we are able to do  a couple cruises a year but mostly flying to Florida for O class these days, we sometimes drive down to Galveston and do shorties, last Sept. we did Allure for the 3rd time, but I'm really excited for Icon in September...

When we started, DW was working "on production" so she don't work she don't get paid, so it was one a year.  Now she gets more PTO than me and has a 7-on / 7-off schedule, so it's my lack of vacation holding us back. But we'd also rather do one in a suite than a bunch in a smaller cabin.

Mariner is going to take us to D+, and we're eagerly awaiting the NE/Canada sailings for 2025.