Advice for a new Alaska cruiser

Boiler Cruiser

I have been asked to give advice about cruising in Alaska, since I have had the wonderful experience.  But I would like to know what others have to share on the subject.

What advice would you give someone who is looking forward to booking their first Alaska cruise?

What should they consider when choosing a cruise line?  What kind of accommodations?  Should they do a cruise tour for their first cruise to Alaska, or just the cruise itself?

What time of year is best for booking an Alaska cruise?

Any other advice or recommendations?

Choose an itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay.  May, June, July, August.  Cruise one way.  Cruisetour is ok but if going to Denali be sure to have 2 nights and the Tundra Wilderness Tour included.  Choose a veranda in a quiet area of the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do what is right for you. I’m doing my third Alaskan cruise all have been interior cabins, one way, no cruise tours, still haven’t done Glacier Bay, and always in September. 

I don’t mind the rain. I like quieter port days.  I don’t spend time in my cabin other than to sleep. Spending 5 days on a tour bus sounds like torture. Glacier Bay wasn’t on my radar at first and just hasn’t worked out yet but I can always go to Alaska again and see it next time. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 2:37 PM, Boiler Cruiser said:

I have been asked to give advice about cruising in Alaska, since I have had the wonderful experience.  But I would like to know what others have to share on the subject.

What advice would you give someone who is looking forward to booking their first Alaska cruise?

What should they consider when choosing a cruise line?  What kind of accommodations?  Should they do a cruise tour for their first cruise to Alaska, or just the cruise itself?

What time of year is best for booking an Alaska cruise?

Any other advice or recommendations?

I have done Alaska multiple times.  I recommend ONE way, add land (but do with alaska RR - they have tours they can put together for you)  Don't take the cruise only if your main goal is to see wild life.  You need land before or after if that is a dream.  Search the boards for tours not assoc. with cruise line.  Most lines go to the same ports.  Include a glacier (Glacier bay is great).  Balcony is best if you can afford it.  Book cheaper in April, May Sept, Oct...sometimes Aug.  They will not need full snow gear.  We had to try hard to find snow. 

Best wildlife sighting was moose in Anchorage (airport and meadow), bears on road in rented car to Yukon in Skagway port, orcas/humpback on tour in Seward - Major Marine.  Going for a second time with them in Aug.

• Thanks 1

I would book in May. April is too early. September can have bad weather. I recommend Glacier Bay. If you feel comfortable --- do your own cruise tour. Rent a car and drive. Allocate more than 4 nights because distances can be great. I would do 7 night on land.

There is no one way to cruise Alaska - no one size fits all. My advice would be to take whatever opportunity works best for your budget and abilities. If that means an inside cabin on a roundtrip Seattle itinerary - do that. Any chance to go to Alaska and experience it, do it however you can best manage and make the most of whatever you choose. That is likely to look a little different for everyone.

The only thing that I would encourage anyone to do once they narrow down what they can afford to do in terms of time, travel and budget, is to compare the options available within that window and try to pick the itinerary with the longest port days and if possible with Glacier Bay, especially for a first time cruiser. If a one way way works for you, great. If you can add in a land tour, wonderful! But if you can't, do not let that deter you from going at all.

In many cases, your first cruise to Alaska will not be your last. That certainly proved true for us and we have been many times now. Try to find the best fit for you that offers the maximum chance to spend time in Alaska and don't delay until you can make it the "perfect" trip.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A lot of people minimize the importance of the ship on the overall experience of your Alaskan cruise.

We took an Inside passage cruise on the old Costa Riviera in 1989.  It was a cruise that we paid for using my DW's Diners Club points and the cost was a major benefit.

It was a terrible ship for a Alaskan cruise.  It was a ship that was more geared to the Caribbean with outside pools and the like.   There was just little to do other than watching the scenery.   We swore off cruising until 2019 as a result of the trip.  The best part of the cruise is that in June, we could experience the midnight sun.

We will be returning to Alaska with two cruises in September.  The first week will be a RT Inside passage tour on Celebrity Solstice.  Then we will do a 14 day cruise on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam from Vancouver to Seward and back.  Our choice was dictated by the lines that we prefer to travel with.  We like the level of service and the food on these lines and this is really important to us. 

Some of my recommendations:

1) Plan your port visits very carefully and make them in advance.  Do realize that the weather at ANY time of the year can turn bad and keep you from doing a dream excursion.

2) Pack layers of clothing.  What worked in MOST other cruises will NOT work in Alaska and prices in the port are VERY expensive if you need to make a purchase.

3) You will probably not see everything you want to see.  However, you will see things that you did NOT expect to see.

4) Get ready for sticker shock.  Helicopter and flightseeing are available BUT can exceed the cost of the cruise fare!  Make sure that you have it in the budget.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I am a first time Alaska Cruiser going on RCL's Radiance Of the Seas in September out of Vancouver (Round Trip)

We are doing Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, Icy Strait and Inside Passage (x2),

Any and all recommendations on what to do and see would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

On 2/15/2024 at 1:07 PM, karatemom2 said:

In many cases, your first cruise to Alaska will not be your last. That certainly proved true for us and we have been many times now. Try to find the best fit for you that offers the maximum chance to spend time in Alaska and don't delay until you can make it the "perfect" trip.

For most individuals - they only travel to Alaska once. It is a trip of a lifetime experience.

• Like 1

We're doing a 10 day land tour through Princess prior to our Whittier-Vancouver cruise in September.  If anybody has done this before, can we chat about luggage?  Princess website has general information but not nearly enough answers for the "reality" questions we have.  Thanks to whomever can help.

On 2/25/2024 at 5:11 AM, cruisingbajan said:

Hi Guys,

I am a first time Alaska Cruiser going on RCL's Radiance Of the Seas in September out of Vancouver (Round Trip)

We are doing Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, Icy Strait and Inside Passage (x2),

Any and all recommendations on what to do and see would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Try to get on a Icy Strait Point whale watching excursion with Glacier-Winds.  Small boats (6 passenger and 13 passenger boats), and is a family run business.  It's amazing!

https://www.g-wind.com/

• Like 2

On 2/16/2024 at 11:22 PM, jlawrence01 said:

A lot of people minimize the importance of the ship on the overall experience of your Alaskan cruise.

Thank you!  I agree 100% with this.  For me, like many, the ship is also very important.