Stopping at Norfolk/Charleston/ Saint John and Boston

WAVTAM

Suggestions for day tours or highlights to see.

Have done the last two ports before. 

Definitely need suggestions for the firsts two ports that we have never been to.

What kinds of things do you like to do?   It would be a waste to suggest strenuous activities if that's not your thing, or museums if you are more of a fan of the outside.

The more you tell us about you (young, old, family, seniors, interests, etc) the easier it is to help

3 hours ago, WAVTAM said:

Definitely need suggestions for the firsts two ports that we have never been to.

Depending upon season and length of time in port  - might want to taxi out to Virginia Beach - great public beach, possibly get a tour of the Naval Station if that interests you - otherwise, not much of great interest. Colonial Williamsburg (about an hour away) is great, but you could just scratch the surface.

Charleston - you are right in center of beautiful old city - great for walking around, possibly tour out to Fort Sumter.

4 hours ago, WAVTAM said:

For Boston and Saint John the Canada/New England Ports of Call board is the best place to post your question.

For Norfolk, I'd pretty much agree with others. Virginia Beach is fine if the weather's good. It's an Atlantic beach, so it can get pretty rough. The Wisconsin is a nice visit, especially if you've never been on a battleship. I don't know that I've ever been to the Nauticus; probably should! Also need to do a cruise around the Naval Base. I've only seen it from the bridge and land side.

I'd be a bit hesitant to recommend Colonial Williamsburg unless you have a lot of time in port. It's a good day or more visit unless you just walk around the exteriors, and it's almost not worth the drive just for that. And speaking of drive, as a Virginian, I'd do a ship's tour. It's theoretically only an hour, but you you go through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel both ways and we have an amazing ability to muck up traffic in Virginia. It's part of what we do...

The Jamestown Settlement (essentially a living history museum), the actual Jamestowne landing site (National Park Service) and the Yorktown Battlefield (NPS) are easier to see in a short visit. The two NPS sites are kind of "I was there" stops in some ways, but if you're into US history they're interesting. Same basic drive as Williamsburg. Actually, you could bookend the Revolutionary War on your cruise if you wanted to; take a tour to Yorktown from Norfolk and Lexington and Concord from Boston. (There's a lot to do in Boston that doesn't involve a bus ride to Lexington and Concord, of course!)

• 2 weeks later...

For Charleston:

The ship will port at the Union Pier and Cruise Terminal, which is right downtown, within a very short walk to the historic district.

The Market is at the head of Market Street and E. Bay Street. You will find local vendors selling art, crafts, sweet grass baskets, etc. it has historic value, as the land was deeded to the city for use as a city market in perpetuity.

Horse Carriage Tours can be found outside the Market along N. Marke Street.. A great way to see the historic district.

A bit of trivia: the cobblestone streets downtown were paved with the ballast stones that were offloaded from ships porting in Charleston.

The US Customs House is an architectural masterpiece. There is the Charleston Aquarium, which is good. You can also take tours to Fort Sumter from the Aquarium. 

Not in walking distance at the other end of Bay Street, the name changes to The Battery where the stately mansions of Charleston face the harbor and the sea wall.  Past the Battery is White Point Gardens. This is where the Pirate Steed Bonnet and his pirate crew were hung, as well as over 200 others over time. This is where the first shots of the Civil War were fired from

There is plenty more to do and see in Charleston as it is filled with restaurants, historic houses, etc.