Tracy Arm vs 26 Glacier

wsp2205

Glacier scenery is the primary drive for our group and hence I am tailoring our itinerary towards this interest, but as some folks in the group are against the idea of getting onto any aircrafts, any helicopter/seaplane based glacier viewing is out of the question. So getting onto small boats or catamarans is the only option.

We will be on Princess 7-day north bound with a few days of land extension at the end. So we will cover glacier bay and college fjord (I know it's going to be from a distance as compared to what 26 glacier is going to offer) from cruise ship, and we have already decided to book Kenai Fjord tour (still debating btw half and full day). But I am considering one more and are hesitating between Tracy Arm Fjord excursion offered from the Juneau port stop vs 26 Glacier cruise from Whittier.

I know every glacier is different and much of it depends on personal preference, but to help those who haven't seen any real glaciers in life, are Tracy Arm and 26 Glacier somewhat replaceable to the other? If we want to be cost/ time effective and choose one out of the two, which one would be recommended pls? Thanks a ton!!!

Edited by wsp2205

• wsp2205 changed the title to Tracy Arm vs 26 Glacier

No.  Tracy Arm on a small boat is one of the best tours in Alaska.  Even beats Glacier Bay IMO.  The 26 Glacier tour used to be great but the had to stop going to Harriman Fjord because of the landslide danger.  Now most of the cruise is in College Fjord where you will have been the night before.  The ship may actually get quite close to Harvard Glacier, depending on your captain’s fear of ice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Do Tracy Arm and then when in Whittier, do the Portage Glacier cruise.  

Portage is on the other side of the tunnel from Whittier.  Last time I was there it was mostly out of the water.

Thank you everyone, Tracy Arm it is! though the steep price point makes it a bit high on the invest side hope return matches up!

I have also booked Matanuska tour and plan to include exit glacier in our itinerary.