Is it really worth it?

CruiseLibre

3 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

The last several cruises, we've gotten wifi, which we purchased as a standalone. We get 50% discount for elite, and we share one wifi package. With the price going up, I'll be deciding on a cruise-by-cruise basis. Probably won't get it for Alaska, since shore days I'll have connection through my service provider when we go ashore. Same for California coast. 

Here in Europe the data coverage the data coverage remains for some distance/time arriving and leaving ports and some times for extended periods where the ship remains close to land.

Parts of Alaska may be the same coverage is probably a bit sparse between coastal settlements.  

12 hours ago, MissP22 said:

They seem to have cut the basics to the bone right now.

What's left? Possibly cutting our Elite laundry or at least putting a cap on it. 

Maybe eliminating the cabin setup? 

Loyalty perks are different from packages though so they have a different calculation. I can see Princess deciding to have even more levels because many at the elite level have many, many more cruises than others. So if you have 500 days of cruising and get the same perks as someone with 100, you might be annoyed and think you should get even more.

Something like this happened on the Ultimate World Cruise where their Pinnacle cruisers got split into two levels. Which is the worst way to do it (taking away perks from the lower level).

8 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

You do not need the package to buy WiFi. It can be purchased separately, either for a single device or multiple devices. There is a place in the app to purchase that in advance or once you board.

And you can buy it for every day of the cruise or just some days. (A lot of people use the free wifi that they find in the ports so they don't need wifi on the ship every day.)

10 hours ago, MissP22 said:

They do a great job to convivence most of their passengers to buy into on of their packages. Some folks can't bear the thought of sailing without it even when the cost can be up to 1/3 the cost of the cruise alone.

It's not that hard. If you add up everything you were planning to buy on the cruise anyway (wifi, CA, and a few other things that vary per person) and it costs more than the package, not getting the package would be dumb. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MissP22 said:

They do a great job to convivence most of their passengers to buy into on of their packages. Some folks can't bear the thought of sailing without it even when the cost can be up to 1/3 the cost of the cruise alone.

I think you expressed this feeling earlier in the thread and someone addressed it there as well.  I'm not sure why you think your fellow cruisers are so gullible and uninformed.??  Everyone has a different vision of their vacation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Alaska Lily said:

I think you expressed this feeling earlier in the thread and someone addressed it there as well.  I'm not sure why you think your fellow cruisers are so gullible and uninformed.??  Everyone has a different vision of their vacation.

Sorry, I didn't realize I had responded previously in this same thread. 

There seem to be many of them lately. 

7 hours ago, MacMadame said:

It's not that hard. If you add up everything you were planning to buy on the cruise anyway (wifi, CA, and a few other things that vary per person) and it costs more than the package, not getting the package would be dumb. 🤷‍♀️

I'm not sure what CA is but I doubt that I can't live without it.

Wi-Fi is something I defiantly don't need.

So what items are really left except alcoholic drinks and if it's a port intensive cruise it's very difficult to justify when you're not on the ship all day. 

All the remaining items don't add up to that much for many to buy into the package. 

5 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

So what items are really left except alcoholic drinks and if it's a port intensive cruise it's very difficult to justify when you're not on the ship all day. 

All the remaining items don't add up to that much for many to buy into the package. 

If you live without paying the Crew Appreciation the package is even less value.

With Princess inflated drinks prices it can be quite easy to go over the threshold with just a few alcoholic drinks a morning coffee and a couple of bottles of water for the off ship time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

If you live without paying the Crew Appreciation the package is even less value.

With Princess inflated drinks prices it can be quite easy to go over the threshold with just a few alcoholic drinks a morning coffee and a couple of bottles of water for the off ship time.

Ah yes, gratuities. I still haven't gotten used to the new acronyms. 

Without any package, they can be adjusted up or down. 

You must have a very low threshold. You should be having 4 or 5 drinks early in the morning before you leave the ship. 

35 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

CA is crew appreciation, or gratuities to some.  And, yeah you need it.

For one last time I’ll give you a breakdown on what a very casual drinker would use each day, per person

CA.                        $16.00

WIFI.                        10.00

1 glass of wine.         15.00

1 cocktail.                  15.00

1 soda.                         3.00

1 specialty coffee.        5.00

Total without package $64.00.        Cost of package. $60.00

I haven’t added in bottled water or juice or mocktails.

Numbers do not lie.  You tell people breakeven is 10 alcohol beverages per day.  That’s $150.00.  So, clearly not true.

Don’t need wifi?  Take off 10.00 and now it’s $54.00.  Maybe an extra glass of wine at dinner?  Add $15.00.  Your total is now $69.00.  Still ahead.  Don’t like specialty coffee?  Take off $5.00.  Your total is now $64.00.  Still ahead.  No soda?  Take off $3.00.  Your total is now $61.00 and you’re still ahead by a dollar.

So, 2 glasses of wine, $30.00 1 cocktail $15.00 and gratuities $16.00 with no wifi or other chargeable beverages is $61.00.

These are facts.  Not opinions.  No fantasy numbers coming out of thin air.  No exaggerations.  

I would love to see your breakdown and how you come to your conclusions.  Please.  I’m sure everyone would be interested.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

Excellent assessment, Lady Arwen.  As a very moderate drinker this is a very accurate reflection of why I choose the Plus package.  My only variation is that I would drink at least two bottles of water each day, especially when going ashore.  Another benefit of having the Plus plan is the ability of trying a new drink from time to time without worrying about wasting the money if I don’t care for it.  I loved discovering Italian Sunsets on last summer’s Enchanted Mediterranean cruise.  Our server at Take Five also introduced us to a couple of new interesting drinks.

Off topic, I love your screen name.  As a lover of The Lord of the Rings it always makes me smile.  Your posts always offer accurate and reasonable information in a respectful manner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mevs904 said:

Excellent assessment, Lady Arwen.  As a very moderate drinker this is a very accurate reflection of why I choose the Plus package.  My only variation is that I would drink at least two bottles of water each day, especially when going ashore.  Another benefit of having the Plus plan is the ability of trying a new drink from time to time without worrying about wasting the money if I don’t care for it.  I loved discovering Italian Sunsets on last summer’s Enchanted Mediterranean cruise.  Our server at Take Five also introduced us to a couple of new interesting drinks.

Off topic, I love your screen name.  As a lover of The Lord of the Rings it always makes me smile.  Your posts always offer accurate and reasonable information in a respectful manner.

Awww, how sweet of you.  You, and others like you, are why us old timers keep coming back everyday. Thank you.

Lady Arwen is my youngest granddaughter’s favourite character in LOTR and I’m her favourite Nana……

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

You tell people breakeven is 10 alcohol beverages per day.

At least it is a reduction from the former 15.  

PS - Internet is $12.50/day with discount now and $25 without.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

At least it is a reduction from the former 15.  

PS - Internet is $12.50/day with discount now and $25 without.

Thanks!  So add another $2.50 to my calculations.  Yes, I read that, too.  15 to break even?  Uhhhmm no.

Well for every scenario there is another scenario! Take my calculation for 2 Elite cruisers - not big drinkers, don’t like coffee. 

24 pack of water delivered to room ordered prior to cruise. $7 (let’s just call it $1 day for 7 day cruise)

20 Diet Cokes to replace Elite mini bar - free

1 device WiFi w/ Elite discount $12.50

Glass of wine with dinner - $11 (yes, I’m basic)

Two cocktails at Elite lounge (2 x 8) - $16

Couple of sodas or water in addition to what we already have - $6

Gratuities for 2 - $32

Total actually spent for two - $78.50 

Package price for two - $120 

This would be a sea day. Likely less on a port day as we prefer to dine and drink in port to fully experience our time there.

But apparently I’m “dumb” and “cheap” and “tiresome” for pointing out that the magical Princess packages don’t add up for everyone. Silly me. I can’t believe I’m so ridiculous as to not want to hand Princess an extra $300 per week of our cruise for all the fabulous benefits I’m not using. Really, I need my head examined!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

24 pack of water delivered to room ordered prior to cruise. $7 (let’s just call it $1 day for 7 day cruise)

is it at 50% off for elite?

Because it's $7 for 12 bottles for the rest of us. Still a good price.

Stateroom Bottled Water Package$7.08 for 12 (500 ml) bottles

In non-Elite lounge the cocktails are usually a bit more, I think.

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

is it at 50% off for elite?

Because it's $7 for 12 bottles for the rest of us. Still a good price.

Stateroom Bottled Water Package$7.08 for 12 (500 ml) bottles

In non-Elite lounge the cocktails are usually a bit more, I think.

Oh yes, my mistake. I was remembering 24 since we ordered 2 last time for our 14 day cruise. And yes, still a good deal. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Well for every scenario there is another scenario! Take my calculation for 2 Elite cruisers - not big drinkers, don’t like coffee. 

Two cocktails at Elite lounge (2 x 😎 - $16

Gratuities for 2 - $32

This would be a sea day. Likely less on a port day as we prefer to dine and drink in port to fully experience our time there.

But apparently I’m “dumb” and “cheap” and “tiresome” for pointing out that the magical Princess packages don’t add up for everyone. Silly me. I can’t believe I’m so ridiculous as to not want to hand Princess an extra $300 per week of our cruise for all the fabulous benefits I’m not using. Really, I need my head examined!

All of this plus throw in Shareholders and OBC from a FCD and it’s even less likely a pkg is needed. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Two cocktails at Elite lounge (2 x 😎 - $16

Gratuities for 2 - $32

Excellent point!  Unfortunately, many cruisers are not Elite, so those perks go away.  Your 20 Cokes would be $60.00.  Your two cocktails would be $25.00 per day.   For those who haven’t reached your status, and there are many of them, 2 wine, 1 cocktail and gratuities is still $61.00 per day per person.  No wifi, no water, no soda, no juice, no extras.  Your calculations are just fine for those of you are Elite.

Look, I honestly don’t care one iota what you purchase or don’t.  Why would I?  What I don’t appreciate is misinformation or information that only applies to a select few.  Recently, a member informed a new cruiser that they need 10 alcoholic drinks per day to break even.  Patently false information.  So, if you could just paraphrase your posts to point out that “these calculations apply only if you are Elite status”.  Then people would be able to make a fair assessment.

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

All of this plus throw in Shareholders and OBC from a FCD and it’s even less likely a pkg is needed. 

How many passengers have any of these?  Very few.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

I don't think @Lady Arwen (or any other posters who present a balanced view of the pros and cons of the packages) are suggesting that they do add up for everyone.  Rather, they are pointing out - factually and logically - how easy it is for many (perhaps 80% if we are to believe some of the statistics quoted previously) to cross the threshold where they deliver good value for money.

And, remember that this thread was started by a new cruiser, so they will not have an alternative route to obtain some of the same benefits that experienced cruisers who are Elite, have a FCD and are probably more likely to receive shareholder OBC have.

What has become very tiresome is some posters (and one in particular) who insist that the packages don't work for anyone other than Princess and who post blatant disinformation (e.g. the need to purchase 10 or 15 alcoholic drinks per day to break even).  The disinformation is particularly worrying if new cruisers (who don't have the knowledge or experience to identify which posts are nonsense) come to a community like this looking for impartial and accurate information on which to base their decisions. What they need is unbiased, factual presentation of the facts on which to make a reasoned judgement.  LadyArwen delivered that pretty well, in my opinion.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Excellent point!  Unfortunately, many cruisers are not Elite, so those perks go away.  Your 20 Cokes would be $60.00.  Your two cocktails would be $25.00 per day.   For those who haven’t reached your status, and there are many of them, 2 wine, 1 cocktail and gratuities is still $61.00 per day per person.  No wifi, no water, no soda, no juice, no extras.  Your calculations are just fine for those of you are Elite.

Look, I honestly don’t care one iota what you purchase or don’t.  Why would I?  What I don’t appreciate is misinformation or information that only applies to a select few.  Recently, a member informed a new cruiser that they need 10 alcoholic drinks per day to break even.  Patently false information.  So, if you could just paraphrase your posts to point out that “these calculations apply only if you are Elite status”.  Then people would be able to make a fair assessment.

Did you read my post??? I said right at the beginning of my post it applied to 2 Elite cruisers. Contrary to popular belief there are actually thousands of us - and everyone is allowed to make their own assessment despite the constant cheerleading here that actually potentially scares off new cruisers who truly believe they “have” to buy a package or their cruise will be some sort of dismal failure. Hence the entire reason for this particular thread. 

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

I don't think @Lady Arwen (or any other posters who present a balanced view of the pros and cons of the packages) are suggesting that they do add up for everyone.  Rather, they are pointing out - factually and logically - how easy it is for many (perhaps 80% if we are to believe some of the statistics quoted previously) to cross the threshold where they deliver good value for money.

And, remember that this thread was started by a new cruiser, so they will not have an alternative route to obtain some of the same benefits that experienced cruisers who are Elite, have a FCD and are probably more likely to receive shareholder OBC have.

What has become very tiresome is some posters (and one in particular) who insist that the packages don't work for anyone other than Princess and who post blatant disinformation (e.g. the need to purchase 10 or 15 alcoholic drinks per day to break even).  The disinformation is particularly worrying if new cruisers (who don't have the knowledge or experience to identify which posts are nonsense) come to a community like this looking for impartial and accurate information on which to base their decisions. What they need is unbiased, factual presentation of the facts on which to make a reasoned judgement.  LadyArwen delivered that pretty well, in my opinion.

Wow. Thank you, so much.  Unfortunately, certain members are fond of adding a little drama to their comments.  I don’t recall anyone, ever calling another member names.  Let’s just stick to factual numbers that would apply to all cruisers.  If you don’t want it, or because of your loyalty level, you don’t need it that’s great!  Enjoy yourself.  Let’s stop feeding new cruisers misinformation and let them decide based on the truth.  

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

How many passengers have any of these?  Very few.

Actually many, many Princess cruisers have the Shareholder benefit - it is discussed here all the time. This as well as numerous other OBC benefits through future cruise deposits, casino, and travel agents. We generally have significant OBC for our cruises. 

6 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Did you read my post??? I said right at the beginning of my post it applied to 2 Elite cruisers. Contrary to popular belief there are actually thousands of us - and everyone is allowed to make their own assessment despite the constant cheerleading here that actually potentially scares off new cruisers who truly believe the “have” to buy a package or their cruise will be some sort of dismal failure. Hence the entire reason for this particular thread. 

Yes, there are thousands of Elite cruisers.  There are many, many more who are not.  For them, 2 wine,  1 cocktail,  plus gratuities per person per day  is $61.00 all day, everyday.  Nothing else added.  Please stop leading the charge on misinformation. 

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lady Arwen said:

Yes, there are thousands of Elite cruisers.  There are millions who are not.  For them, 2 wine,  1 cocktail,  plus gratuities per person per day  is $61.00 all day, everyday.  Nothing else added.  Please stop leading the charge on misinformation. 

Exactly.

And just to return to the original theme of this thread for one second, how many first time cruisers are Elite?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1