NCL Star passenger revolt

3 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

But if it was one of those reasons, that's what we would have been told. Instead, we were first told it was the weather, then when some of the Argentinians protested, he called a meeting the following day where he kept changing his story with a variety of excuses.

I've since seen a map showing us sailing past whilst other ships were all docked. I couldn't have seen this on the day because the internet, which worked badly every other day, went completely off for two days. 

• Like 1

yes, it's the cruising equivalent of being told you'll be getting a rolex watch, only to be handed a $149 "rollex" watch, the kind they sell on street corners in manhattan. it's sort of the same thing, but mostly not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UKstages said:

yes, it's the cruising equivalent of being told you'll be getting a rolex watch, only to be handed a $149 "rollex" watch, the kind they sell on street corners in manhattan. it's sort of the same thing, but mostly not.

Plus they were always going to Elephant Island in the South Shetlands anyway.

Paradise Bay was spectacular. Doubt Admiralty Bay compares.

• Like 1

The actual issue here is the majority of cruisers on this modified itinerary see it as their original cruise was cancelled without compensation, because it was completely changed to something what not close to a unique cruise they booked without a notification.  Just imagine cancelling your cruise on your own (for whatever reason) when you don't have a cruise cancelation insurance.  This is just 1 person (couple) with so much frustration.  However, here we talk about thousands of people affected by this matter at once with the same feeling except they even didn't cancel a cruise (not their problem)!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JasonMochilero said:

But if it was one of those reasons, that's what we would have been told. Instead, we were first told it was the weather, then when some of the Argentinians protested, he called a meeting the following day where he kept changing his story with a variety of excuses.

I've since seen a map showing us sailing past whilst other ships were all docked. I couldn't have seen this on the day because the internet, which worked badly every other day, went completely off for two days. 

Not to argue or defend or perpetuate but, as the link mentioned, if there was no dock or the ship is too big, they would have to tender. Also, the link said when winds are 30kts they may have to tender away from the port and shuttling to port would be unmanageable. . That is not a lot for a big ship but that is Falklands rule. Could be, space to dock or tender may have been restricted.

Lastly, maybe something was said but, if in a cabin or even on the ship decks or spaces, the PA system is very poor and can often not be heard clearly. We were on Bliss recently and missed most of what was said on the PA.

Bottom line, ship communication clearly was not acceptable. Not sure what the communication was or is in the aftermath. I find it unusual considering the uproar that NCL would remain silent.

Edited by pete_coach

2 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Not to argue or defend or perpetuate but, as the link mentioned, if there was no dock or the ship is too big, they would have to tender. Also, the link said when winds are 30kts they may have to tender away from the port and shuttling to port would be unmanageable. . That is not a lot for a big ship but that is Falklands rule. Could be, space to dock or tender may have been restricted.

Lastly, maybe something was said but, if in a cabin or even on the ship decks or spaces, the PA system is very poor and can often not be heard clearly. We were on Bliss recently and missed most of what was said on the PA.

Bottom line, ship communication clearly was not acceptable. Not sure what the communication was or is in the aftermath. I find it unusual considering the uproar that NCL would remain silent.

We skipped Stanley last year because the weather was iffy when we arrived, and predicted to get worse. Tenders actually went to the port but had issues then, so we didn't stay. Imagine sending a few thousand passengers by tender and not being able to bring them back to the ship later in the day.

As to the PA system, it SUCKS!!!! Unless you are in the hallway or have your TV (volume up) to the correct channel, you hear nothing. I had to complain multiple times on another ship because none of the announcements were coming through - in the hallway or on the TV. Took 3 days, finally got it addressed when I approached the CD in an open Q&A session.  On the other hand, I've been on cruises where passengers swear that there haven't been any announcements so I've had to repeat what had been announced - either over the PA or in the Freestyle Daily (people don't read either!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for those of you impacted.  My worst cruise ever (which granted, is still pretty great :)) was also on NCL Star in South America about 3 years ago, makes me wonder if the same terrible Captain is in charge there today.

Edited by pghflyer
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

Sorry for those of you impacted.  My worst cruise ever (which granted, is still pretty great :)) was also on NCL Star in South America about 3 years ago, makes me wonder if the same terrible Captain is in charge there today.

I went last year and our captain did his best to try to make up for missing Stanley. So can't say they are all terrible (assuming any truly are)...

This was our "route" when we came upon a huge pod of feeding Fin whales - we coulda just passed through.

P1080750.JPG

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

Why would you blame or insinuate the Captain is at fault??

Do you have details you wish to share??

Not really, no need to bring up a many-year-old (Feb 2020) bad experience if a totally different crew is there today. We basically had multiple "meet the crew" events and the captain and head engineer made fun of passengers and bald-face lied multiple times about information that had already been released publicly by NCL Corporate (i.e. confirmed Azipod problems) . They skipped going around the Cape at the last minute when we were 10 minutes out (which may have been necessary, I am no nautical expert and wasn't privy to the reasons).  Just left a bad taste for many passengers.

• Like 1

After reading through through this thread as much as I could handle in a single sitting and reading everyone opine as to why this happened, I have come up with the theory that the only reason for the change was for NCL to see how much of a ruckus they could stir up here on CC and how long the thread woudl be before it finally died.  I think the odds makers currently have the over/under at 14 pages. 🙂

Hope everyone is having a great day today and has a wondeful time on their next cruise!

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, JasonMochilero said:

They're going to the South Shetlands, about 100kms offshore of the mainland. 

Yes, but still considered Antarctica. So people who are saying the cruise is "skipping Antarctica" are incorrect 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, bortman23 said:

Yes, but still considered Antarctica. So people who are saying the cruise is "skipping Antarctica" are incorrect 

33 minutes ago, bortman23 said:

"Elephant Island, which the ship is visiting for scenic cruising, is a geographic part of Antarctica administered by the Antarctic Treaty. While it is not the continent’s mainland, it very much is part of Antarctica."

https://www.cruisehive.com/woman-seeking-explanation-for-itinerary-change-that-ruined-cruise/123162

If that is true why did they drop Antarctica out of the title of the cruise?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have tried really, really hard not to respond to this thread, because I've never been in this situation.

But, as a simple man, if I ever go to Antarctica, it's not going to be a sail-by. You either go there, or you don't. No one who "sails by" Antarctica can say they've been to Antarctica.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bortman23 said:

2 hours ago, bortman23 said:

"Elephant Island, which the ship is visiting for scenic cruising, is a geographic part of Antarctica administered by the Antarctic Treaty. While it is not the continent’s mainland, it very much is part of Antarctica."

not "very much," more like "sort of kind of" part of antarctica.

this has been discussed many times in this thread, with many examples offered, but i'll try again.

suppose you booked a behind the scenes tour to disneyworld and it was promised that you would be taken through epcot, the magic kingdom, the animal kingdom and hollywood studios. the description of the tour said you would see space mountain, the disney princess parade, bug thunder mountain railroad, it's a small world and two fireworks displays.

but at the last minute, they said they would be enhancing your experience by curtailing the tour, changing the route and giving you only a glimpse of cinderella's castle.

no doubt about it, cinderella's castle is part of disney world. that can not be denied.

but would the tour have come close to delivering on its promise of an extensive behind the scenes disneyworld tour?

would people who said the tour skipped disneyworld be "incorrect?"

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, UKstages said:

suppose you booked a behind the scenes tour to disneyworld and it was promised that you would be taken through epcot, the magic kingdom, the animal kingdom and hollywood studios. the description of the tour said you would see space mountain, the disney princess parade, bug thunder mountain railroad, it's a small world and two fireworks displays.

Dude, I think you've gone officially over the cliff on this one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

But, as a simple man, if I ever go to Antarctica, it's not going to be a sail-by. You either go there, or you don't. No one who "sails by" Antarctica can say they've been to Antarctica.

I hope if and when you decide to set foot on Antarctica you are physical able to climb into and out of a Zodiac. Many of those choosing to go the sail by route are simply not physically able to accomplish that task.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, broberts said:

I hope if and when you decide to set foot on Antarctica you are physical able to climb into and out of a Zodiac. Many of those choosing to go the sail by route are simply not physically able to accomplish that task.

Yep, those days are getting closer than I'd wish. But if I can't ever do it, I will also say that I've never been to Antarctica. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 11:59 PM, yakcruiser said:

I do believe NCL would have stated it if a government agency was the reason behind the changes. Or maybe NCL is incapable of telling the truth even when it would be beneficial to them.

They tried(blame the authorities) that last year when they stopped serving alcohol for periods on cruises out of the UK, when pushed there was silence(many did not believe it), eventually an apology and compensation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Why do you need to set foot on Antarctica? By staying at sea 2,400 people get the chance to see whales, icebergs, penguins all kinds of other amazing wildlife while being a couple of hundred meters off the actual shoreline. By landing you risk the spread of diseases like bird flu and start physical damage. Expedition ships have to take huge precautions to preserve Antarctica, something that is just not practical to do for a ship with thousands of visitors. The more people who see Antarctica for real and see what an amazing place it is will hopefully understand and spread the word that makes it so important we preserve it. On the Star this year there was a full course of lectures and I came back feeling I knew so much more about the place and had seen it up close. It's not just a tick in the box trip.

• Like 12

Someday on a cruise critic forum:

Poster 1: I’m currently on my honeymoon cruise and we’ve been told the only meals on board will be bread and water. 

Poster 2: You have no right to complain, didn’t you read your cruise contract. The line is only required to provide “meals;” they are free to serve whatever food they want. It’s your fault for not understanding the contract you signed. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, IAcruising said:

TBH, I don't think doing a 6 hour visit from a cruise ship really counts as visiting a country either. One of my friends reckons it doesn't count if you don't spend a night there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1