premium/premium plus question

mya603

I was wondering what the "premium" desserts?  That will help us decide if it's worth it.  I've been hearing its ice cream.  To me, that's not premium.   Anyone that can tell me what they really include?

They offer very … extravagant (?) … sundaes that feature gelato and traditional sauces but add candy 🍭. It also includes premium cake slices in Black Forest, a chocolate, and red velvet. Some people report success ordering just a scoop of gelato (versus the monstrosity of a sundae) while others report you can’t substitute for a simple scoop of gelato. 

High calorie. Extravagant. Certainly not something that you would use to determine if you should book the plus or premium fare. It may include gelato if you are on a Royal Class ship. Disregard this benefit. Do the math based upon the most important benefits, Crew Appreciation, unlimited wifi and the beverage package. All the rest are just add ons that have little extra value. It takes about 3 alcoholic beverages/pp/day to break even with the plus fare.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mya603 said:

I was wondering what the "premium" desserts?  That will help us decide if it's worth it.  I've been hearing its ice cream.  To me, that's not premium.   Anyone that can tell me what they really include?

Like everyone else stated they are Sundae's and Cake. We had Premium on our last cruise and we had the "premium" desert 2x over the 7 days. Princess Plus gives you 2 a day, which in my opinion is a lot more than than I would ever consume.

If you don't want a sundae, you can get a cup with the ice cream you want, and they also have Waffle Cones if you don't want a cup. They do regularly run out of the Waffle Cones so they might not always have them available.

We were on the Discovery in January 2024 and the Premium Desert service was relatively slow; especially, when it was only serviced by one person. The worst situation you will run into is when 1 person is in line for a large group; therefore, the number of people in the line and actual wait could be misleading.

Edited by hatchda

Unfortunately, it can vary from ship to ship....and even that can change !

We get the Plus package.

About a year & a half ago we were on the Royal. They would only include the sundaes someone pictured above AND they would not allow any variation.

Six months ago we were on the Regal. They included ANY ice concoction on the menu.

My favorites were the banana split & the Frangelico (liquor) sundae.

Just off the Discovery last week. I ordered the Frangelico sundae & the said it was $8.00 !

They said ONLY the premium Sundaes were included BUT they would all for some changes.

SO, I ordered the Donetello & said hold all the cake & candies. They I went over to the bar & had them pour a shot of Frangelico on it.

Absolutely ridiculous. You could not even a $4. scoop of gelato without having to pay but if you

call the name of one of those $12. fancy ones you get it free.

I did confirm this policy with guest services although it seemed that in the past they were more lenient about it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shippy said:

Unfortunately, it can vary from ship to ship....and even that can change !

We get the Plus package.

About a year & a half ago we were on the Royal. They would only include the sundaes someone pictured above AND they would not allow any variation.

Six months ago we were on the Regal. They included ANY ice concoction on the menu.

My favorites were the banana split & the Frangelico (liquor) sundae.

Just off the Discovery last week. I ordered the Frangelico sundae & the said it was $8.00 !

They said ONLY the premium Sundaes were included BUT they would all for some changes.

SO, I ordered the Donetello & said hold all the cake & candies. They I went over to the bar & had them pour a shot of Frangelico on it.

Absolutely ridiculous. You could not even a $4. scoop of gelato without having to pay but if you

call the name of one of those $12. fancy ones you get it free.

I did confirm this policy with guest services although it seemed that in the past they were more lenient about it.

Was it ice cream or gelato in the premium dessert?

1 hour ago, New2cruise2022 said:

They offer very … extravagant (?) … sundaes that feature gelato and traditional sauces but add candy 🍭. It also includes premium cake slices in Black Forest, a chocolate, and red velvet. Some people report success ordering just a scoop of gelato (versus the monstrosity of a sundae) while others report you can’t substitute for a simple scoop of gelato. 

The sundaes I didn't care (I'd rather get the free soft serve cone actually) for but the chocolate cake is very good. They are also very large so my wife and I would share one. We had a package so the cakes were free but they were only $4.50 compared to the $12 sundaes. I can't imagine eating 2 of those sundaes every day for 7 or 14 days.

• Haha 1

Well, looks like I won't be getting the premium desserts as I am lactose intolerant and have an intolerance to chocolate also.  I know! My life is horrible!  LOL!  However, I know I will find plenty to eat on the ship!  Thank you all for answering!  Happy Cruising!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CDNCruiser55 said:

The sundaes I didn't care (I'd rather get the free soft serve cone actually) for but the chocolate cake is very good. They are also very large so my wife and I would share one. We had a package so the cakes were free but they were only $4.50 compared to the $12 sundaes. I can't imagine eating 2 of those sundaes every day for 7 or 14 days.

Ooh, no, not every day!  Sugar overload!