WSJ: Is the World’s Largest Cruise Ship Still Fun Without the Upsells?

19 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm not really sure the point of that article.  Icon is no different than any other ship in what's included and what's an extra charge. Just they have more options for things that have an upcharge.

I think you kind of answered your own question there. Is there still enough fun things to do without paying for those items that require a charge? The question is subjective based on what we all find fun.

1 hour ago, Scottee25 said:

I think you kind of answered your own question there. Is there still enough fun things to do without paying for those items that require a charge? The question is subjective based on what we all find fun.

100% ... I am sure we will have fun except it lacks adult Solarium. Not sure if it is a problem for others. Maybe we are not a target.

We are D+ though, so All Inclusive part will work for us. 🙂

Edited by Tatka

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm not really sure the point of that article.  Icon is no different than any other ship in what's included and what's an extra charge. Just they have more options for things that have an upcharge.

I thought the article did a good job of recounting someone's experience avoiding upcharges and feeling like the cruise ship was a worthwhile experience.  Though mentioning pickleball lessons as an upcharge, just seems silly to me.  I don't think anyone is going on a cruise ship thinking they are missing out if they don't take pickleball lessons. 

Overall they have more free options in terms of food and entertainment, along with more upcharge options with varying prices for both food and entertainment, introducing more food at moderate a la carte prices vs. just the traditional flat rate specialty restaurants. 

• Like 1

There is no shortage of complimentary activities.  However the number of upcharged experiences has definitely increased and there are more ways to profit from passengers than ever before.

It is partially a perception issue and I suspect easier for some people to ignore for some than others.  If you go on an smaller/older vessel there are less activities and dining options overall but also far less upcharged experiences.  Some may feel better in this sort of scenario.

When they are constantly selling you something, it can devalue what you're getting for free.  I remember years ago when the MDR started offering Chops steaks, and when they started selling fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast.  I remember one waiter actually telling me the complimentary OJ would barely be drinkable and being fairly rude when I declined the upsell.

Meanwhile the cost of the pay-to-play/eat options has increased as well to the point where you might be paying a hefty premium over what you'd pay for a better experience back home.  Most all of our fav upscale restaurants at home are less than specialty dining, for example.

Excursion prices are through the roof, but I recently saved several hundred dollars by booking directly with the tour operators for upcoming our Alaska cruise.  This one baffles me- we'll be right alongside our fellow passengers on these tours so I'm not sure what value RCI thinks they are providing.

We are on Allure and Quantum in the next few months and I am sure we will have a good time.  We were on the Carnival Celebration last year and actually had the perception that the value for us has increased on Excel class, and that was a good feeling.  Unfortunately there are only three Excel class ships but thankfully for us two of them are here in FL.

It is easy to defend everything a particular cruise line does if you are a fan.  However, demand is not inelastic- there are lots of choices and the pendulum is always swinging.  Lots of factors go into those choices, including overall perception!

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

100% ... I am sure we will have fun except it lacks adult Solarium. Not sure if it is a problem for others. Maybe we are not a target.

We are D+ though, so All Inclusive part will work for us. 🙂

Overall I really liked Icon, but I did miss the Solarium. There really was no quiet place on the ship where you could lay out in the sun and read, which I really enjoy. The adult only area (Hideaway) has a party atmosphere, significantly different than solariums on other RCI ships. The Cloud 17 area, which was originally supposed to be the adult area, is also on the noisy side due to its location, but not as loud as the Hideaway. In my book no solarium is a big negative, but I know RCI is marketing Icon for families, not people in their 50s with adult kids like me. 

• Thanks 1

Quote from the author's article: "$200-a-person supper club perfect for Instagram." 

This is such a main driver for upsells, social media and YouTube.  Businesses know it and it's why IMO we'll continue to see more and more upsells. Many people like the concept of exclusivity, combine that with the ability to share it in real time and it becomes even more appealing for some.  The fancier shakes not only on the Icon but Princess has them too, may taste good but they also look good on Instagram.  Many are willing to pay for that.

Upsells are easy for us, we know what we like and what our budget is and spend accordingly. We have no problem saying no to what we don't want and still have an enjoyable cruise, after all upsells are just choices not necessities.  

13 minutes ago, irun5k said:

Meanwhile the cost of the pay-to-play/eat options has increased as well to the point where you might be paying a hefty premium over what you'd pay for a better experience back home.  Most all of our fav upscale restaurants at home are less than specialty dining, for example.

I feel this can be debatable, and also depends on the situation. While I agree the prices are high, when I go to a restaurant on land I am generally not ordering my own appetizer and dessert.  So my meal tends to be closer to $25-40 at a nicer restaurant.  If I were to order an appetizer and dessert now I am easily pushing closer to $50+ (in the last year). It definitely closes the gap.

Where I feel you get better value is when you have a group and they bring out all the appetizers/desserts to share.  Not only is it a lot of food, but a lot of variety to be able to try.

Lunch still being very good value, in no land restaurant can I get a calamari, filet with potato and vegetable sides, gnocchi, and panna cotta for the sale price they had of $18 including gratuity.

Also, I have not personally experienced upselling on experiences.  Selling survey scores, yes, but not in terms of making me feel like I need to buy food/beverages.

34 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

I feel this can be debatable, and also depends on the situation. While I agree the prices are high, when I go to a restaurant on land I am generally not ordering my own appetizer and dessert.  So my meal tends to be closer to $25-40 at a nicer restaurant.  If I were to order an appetizer and dessert now I am easily pushing closer to $50+ (in the last year). It definitely closes the gap.

Where I feel you get better value is when you have a group and they bring out all the appetizers/desserts to share.  Not only is it a lot of food, but a lot of variety to be able to try.

That is a valid point, depending on the situation.  We rarely order appetizers or dessert on land either, or if we do we split it with the entire table (a slice of key lime pie with 4 spoons please!) So, it could represent a better value depending on your dining interests.

We often eat lighter so ironically a greater swath of higher quality al-la-carte options appeals to us.  For example we really enjoyed Emril's on Celebration- on days when we didn't have a ton of time to dedicate to sitting down for a big event we were happy to spend a few bucks for quick yet high quality food.