Mayan Ruins in Cozumel or Costa Maya

On 2/14/2024 at 2:20 PM, jean87510 said:

We did D and K through the ship rom Costa Maya as well as Chacchoben via Native tours. I preferred the Native Choice solely because of the travel time.  I would not recommend d and k together as we were rushed, had a poor guide, ride is long.  We have been to Tulum on a land vacation visit on our own and liked it but it was years ago.

In December, we are going to be in Progreso on a port stop and are actually visiting Chitchen Itza plus a Cenote also via the ship.  Its our 1st time to both port and landmark.  It appears to be slightly less travel than Cozumel or Costa Maya.

We have also looked into an excursion with a flight to Chichen itza.

Recommend Uxmal over Chichen Itza in Progresso.  Bus company that handles the pier transport runs it at 930 last we were there.  Shorter trip, well excavated ruins, and far fewer people.  

From Coz would never take a trip to mainland.  Way too much ferry and bus time for ruins time.  Ships sometimes offer Tulum and beach or snorkeling but travel time kills the latter and you still get short ruins.

Native to Chacchoban worked great for us and we got there well before big busses.  Private guide for 6 people and pretty good ruins.  Note pyramid stairs are steep and large steps.

26 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Recommend Uxmal over Chichen Itza in Progresso.  Bus company that handles the pier transport runs it at 930 last we were there.  Shorter trip, well excavated ruins, and far fewer people.  

From Coz would never take a trip to mainland.  Way too much ferry and bus time for ruins time.  Ships sometimes offer Tulum and beach or snorkeling but travel time kills the latter and you still get short ruins.

Native to Chacchoban worked great for us and we got there well before big busses.  Private guide for 6 people and pretty good ruins.  Note pyramid stairs are steep and large steps.

I too do not recommend mainland from Cozumel unless one really wants to see the ruins and it's the only option.  As you can see by my post, we did the D and K ruins from Costa Maya.  And we used Native Choice as well for Chacchoben as I also pointed out.  The excursion I chose for Chichen itza includes the cenote. We have been to the Yucatan many times and never made it to Chichen itza.  Since we will be there in December and Progreso as a port just doesn't interest us with the selections, we opted to finally visit mainly to cross off of our bucket list finally.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeeW said:

I actually thought about both Uxmal and Chichen itza and decided to change my tour using YucatanCenote Eco tours.  I think the ship excursion will be too much with the crowds.  Opted to do a private tour for just my husband and I to Uxmal, lunch with a local family and then snorkeling in a cenote.  I think we will enjoy this more.  

We’re booked on to san gervasio on Cozumel and chacchoben at Costa maya

The san gervasio trip is only 4 hours so would have time to snorkel after

chachoben is about the same so time for beach/pools after. 

Our children are 2 and 5 so we decided on the shorter even if less exciting ruins, to allow for beach time.

we’ve also been to chichen itza, akumal, tulum, cenotes before (and Cozumel). If it’s likely your only time in Mexico , that’s the only way I’d contemplate the chichen itza trip.

if our kids were older we’d likely have done the further ruins from Costa maya 

• Like 1

I would recommend going on a ships excursion rather than a private tour, Do your own research, read up on the current situation from the United States state Department website....