Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

@danogg  They have it on the Navigator App.  I’ll attach photos for today.  You can look up all the restaurant menus.  It’s come in very handy.  We have late dining & always decide what we are having before we go!

IMG_4140.png

IMG_4141.png

IMG_4142.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, danogg said:

, I’ve noticed that lobster, escargot, and prime rib have showed up in the Lido Buffet a few times on your cruise.  Do they post a menu beforehand?  Sounds like a better option than dressing up for the MDR.

Lobster tail has been on twice. First and fourth formal night. 

escargot was on fourth formal night.

Prime rib has been on every/other or every third day. It’s almost a staple. 

The Asian station grills fresh for you exactly the vegetables and protein you want. I eat that pretty frequently.

Whatever the special fish has been in the MDR they have been grilling fresh in the lido also. You can get it plated fancy, exactly like the MDR (they will make the plate in front of you), or you can just get the fish (which is what I do). 

Of course, there is Also the pasta station where they will make your sauce exactly how you want it with 3-4 different types of noodles to pick from. 

I am hearing very mixed reviews of the mdr. Many people are saying it takes way too long. Others have complained about Luke warm entrees, while others people are having a great experience.

Everyone has to do what is right for them and food is subjective but I have zero complaints about the food. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Re:  Entertainment -- nothing for me.  Very bored in the evening.  They aren't even showing anything on the outdoor movie screen in the evening, although the weather would be perfect for it.  The few times they've shown anything, it's been really old stuff.  I have asked them twice through the Let Us Know why they can't at least show the indoor movies outside too and have received zero response.

• Like 3

@BermudaBound2014 we are the demo for HAL’s age and DH LOVES Time Conway 🙃 (it wasn’t Mary Tyler Moore, it was Carol Burnette. Yep, we’re old). I wonder in Fakarava, was it easier to get off early if you were a 4*? Or was everyone in line priority?

Loving the pictures. The lectures work well for DH too. I would really love to see some great evening shows on HAL, but I have to say I really haven’t. I am not a fan or Carnival, but their shows are more production quality.

I’m anxious to hear what you retired from so young, lucky you.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hobar said:

What’s the situation with Norovirus?  Have cases increased or decreased?  What extra cleaning has actually been conducted?

Our ship has been back to “normal” awhile now.  It’s not like it was an epidemic on here.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

In Fakarava we did not have priority.  We went down at 7:45 to get in line for tickets.  No one was waiting and we were told we could just walk down right then to the tenders no ticket needed yet.  We literally walked down and right off the ship onto a tender.  Very easy.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Our ship has been back to “normal” awhile now.  It’s not like it was an epidemic on here.  

Thanks.  That is reassuring, in contrast to the media.

1 hour ago, Hobar said:

Thanks.  That is reassuring, in contrast to the media.

There is still coughing & I’ve seen a few more people mask.  But otherwise all normal.  We have masked when indoors since day 1 & still do.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, ljgordon54 said:

@BermudaBound2014 we are the demo for HAL’s age and DH LOVES Time Conway 🙃 (it wasn’t Mary Tyler Moore, it was Carol Burnette. 

Carol who? Haha -just kidding (kinda). 😉 

About the entertainment - for clarity, I have been bored a grand total of zero times. I’m not sure if you can pick up on this in type, but I can pretty much make my own party in a paper bag  ;). 

My point regarding entertainment is that  for those who list ship entertainment at a priority (especially the evening shows), HAL probably isn’t the best choice as, imo, every other main stream line appears to have a much higher budget in this area. Remember, I have zero brand loyalty to HaL and sail all the other main stream lines quite frequently (which appears to be equated to mass murder according to some 5* onboard).  

Yesterday was pretty chill. I did tai chi from

my play pen. Attended dance class, swam, read, swam, had pre-dinner conversation with some of my people, ate dinner with another group of my people, and closed BBkings with….. my people. I have met sooooooo many life long friends onboard. It’s really taken this cruise over the top for me. Sure there are some cranky McCrankersteins, but I’ve found my cruise family and we all come from a place of gratitude which can, imo, really turn the frown upside down (sorry for the dad humor). 

I suspect today will be more of the same with the exception of St Patty’s day party (which will be held indoors much to my dismay). Apparently it was too much work and too hot to do another lido party. Granted, every other tropical cruise I have been on does 2-3 lido deck parties on a 7 day cruise, but what do I know 🤷‍♀️

In fairness to Hal, there were a lot of complaints that the last lido party was too loud (is there such a thing?) and too hot (ok, was hot, but we are sailing on-top of the equator fhs). I think it boils down to demographics again and I’m ok with that. I’m not giving up hope for another lido deck party as we move thru colder water near San Diego, but then again, I’m a dreamer. 

Apparently we moved the clocks forward a half hour again two nights ago. For the last two days I’ve been wondering why I’m always late. Clearly I can’t keep it straight. Seriously, who move clocks by 30 minutes? It’s like I’m in math class every time i glance at my Fitbit.

Ok- here is a real legit gripe- Last night a debarkation letter was left on my bed!!! We have 7 days left. S.E.V.E.N!! WTH??? That’s the equivalent of putting luggage tags out on embarkation day on 90% of the cruises sailing this week. I immediately threw it in the recycling. Ain’t nobody got time for that nonsense.

In other news, we are back in the northern hemisphere :). 

625E67BE-E41B-421E-B5FB-C94F627D28FD.jpeg

For my new online friends…

DB7AA901-9804-457B-99C5-8CDBFF11EB29.jpeg

CCDB2AD7-5FF4-4FA2-99FB-9402BA650573.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

Forgot to mention. There is a bar crawl for st patty’s day. $25. You get 4 drinks and games. I was going to sign up but the bartenders are stressed because there are already 100 people signed up and HaL is putting no limit on the affair. I have friends participating so I’ll report second hand. 

2C6F662D-314E-4A0B-A6DF-0BBA91F761FF.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Forgot to mention. There is a bar crawl for st patty’s day. $25. You get 4 drinks and games. I was going to sign up but the bartenders are stressed because there are already 100 people signed up and HaL is putting no limit on the affair. I have friends participating so I’ll report second hand. 

If you have HIA what is the advantage of the $25 for drinks? anxious to hear 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ljgordon54 said:

If you have HIA what is the advantage of the $25 for drinks? anxious to hear 

The social aspect of the crawl and 4 drinks that don't count against your daily 15?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

The social aspect of the crawl and 4 drinks that don't count against your daily 15?

I'm a'thinkin' that 15 drinks is too many most days--19 might really give folks a view of Janet's World that won't be pretty!!!! 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

They do not record the port talks or the presentations/speakers and have them on the stateroom TV. This is really inconvenient since for the port talks there were no seats available and they were in the afternoon before our pool time was over. And the prerecorded port overviews are not very accurate for the less visited ports. Anyway, this seems an easy upgrade that is already available on most other cruises I have been on. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, yellowjacket_cruiser said:

They do not record the port talks or the presentations/speakers and have them on the stateroom TV. This is really inconvenient since for the port talks there were no seats available and they were in the afternoon before our pool time was over. And the prerecorded port overviews are not very accurate for the less visited ports. Anyway, this seems an easy upgrade that is already available on most other cruises I have been on. 

I don’t understand why they don’t do this.  I’m sure they used to?   Totally agree they are lacking in this area. 

• Like 5

I was told they can’t record presenters for copyright reasons. Port talks- not an issue, I think.  Agree those would be nice on video.

I’m disappointed that on a 35 day cruise the Step One dancers had 3 shows- and I saw 2 of the 3, 2 years ago in first postCovid cruise. 
But I love sea days, and good food, and still love the cruise.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, yellowjacket_cruiser said:

I agree…also the World Stage Productions…not always convenient to attend but wouldn’t mind watching at my convenience let alone those that are quarantined to their stateroom.

• Like 3

Also, the 30 minute time change is to match the actual time on Nuka Hiva- their choice.  Just as for Newfoundland.  I never knew before this cruise.  
interesting.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ljgordon54 said:

I'm a'thinkin' that 15 drinks is too many most days--19 might really give folks a view of Janet's World that won't be pretty!!!! 😃

Not saying I think 19 is necessarily necessary (🥴 ), just speculating that might be one of the benefits of participating in the Crawl. Financially speaking, I think it might be more attractive to people w/o HIA who are paying per drink.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Homer88 said:

Also, the 30 minute time change is to match the actual time on Nuka Hiva- their choice.  Just as for Newfoundland.  I never knew before this cruise.  
interesting.

I think you can add Adelaide, South Australia to the "30 minute time change club" too. They are out of sync with the rest of the country in that regard. Very confusing when you come across it for the first time -  would make a great trivia question though 🤔.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Homer88 said:

interesting.

I think Afghanistan and India are also off by half an hour.  Afghanistan may be off by 45 minutes - I don’t recall exactly.  An hour is hard enough but start breaking it down and I agree - it’s too much math!  I would feel like I’d have to wear two watches, one for my steps and one that I can easily change the time on!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I'm a'thinkin' that 15 drinks is too many most days

I used to think the HIA package would be a waste of money for me (lightweight drinker) because if I had 15 drinks a day I’d be passed out all the time - or dead!  But, when they include milkshakes, specialty teas and coffees, hot cocoa, bottled water, bubbly water, fresh squeezed OJ, and smoothies and sodas, then I’m sold!

• Like 5